Japan Open | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Japan Open

Asada looks wonderful! Her skating has a lightness and musicality that always pulls me in. I admire YuNa Kim immensely--gorgeous technique--but there's something frail about her on the ice, while Asada always seems so fluid to me. She hasn't lost that as she's matured.

I'll check out Nakano's program eventually, but I find it so hard to watch her jump because of that wrapped leg. I can almost feel it dragging the air to a halt around her as she rotates. I'm always afraid she'll just stop dead in midair and fall full-length on the ice. Otherwise, she's an exquisite skater...if she could just do Axels, I'd be fine.

Bennett

Record Breaker
OMG! Daisuke is just absolutely fantastic!!!
I love this program very much! It's sophisticated, subtle, and entertaining. It makes him looks so sexy in a mature, elegant, and manly way (even though the way he talks remains so girly:p). I also love this costume. Nicely sophisticated. Changing the choreographer seems to have worked well for him.
I also love his jumps, skating, spins, and steps. Everything looks so easy and great. I was worried about the injury but it seems that he recovered so well. He indeed says that his condition is perfect now. Hasnt he improved his sit spin?

herios

Medalist
OMG! Daisuke is just absolutely fantastic!!!
I love this program very much! It's sophisticated, subtle, and entertaining. It makes him looks so sexy in a mature, elegant, and manly way (even though the way he talks remains so girly:p). I also love this costume. Nicely sophisticated. Changing the choreographer seems to have worked well for him.
I also love his jumps, skating, spins, and steps. Everything looks so easy and great. I was worried about the injury but it seems that he recovered so well. He indeed says that his condition is perfect now. Hasnt he improved his sit spin?

I am another fan who is very happy to see Daisuke completely recovered. That could've been a career ending injury, but there absolutely no sign of that anymore.

The SP is very nice, I loved it.:thumbsup:

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Asada looks wonderful! Her skating has a lightness and musicality that always pulls me in. I admire YuNa Kim immensely--gorgeous technique--but there's something frail about her on the ice, while Asada always seems so fluid to me. She hasn't lost that as she's matured.

I'll check out Nakano's program eventually, but I find it so hard to watch her jump because of that wrapped leg. I can almost feel it dragging the air to a halt around her as she rotates. I'm always afraid she'll just stop dead in midair and fall full-length on the ice. Otherwise, she's an exquisite skater...if she could just do Axels, I'd be fine.

I agree with everything you said.

Mao clearly has better lines than YuNa which gives her a not so "sloppy" look when she skates. I think Mao is going through a major development stage. She is learning to step out of the boundaries of her Chopin days (which many people here seem to think she should be eternally stuck in and not evolve at all).

I worry about Nakano when she jumps, too...but I love her style :love:

i love to skate

Medalist
Just watched Joannie's program and I am thrilled!! This is exactly what I was hoping for this year. As much as I loved her long from last year I found the music didn't really build and there wasn't much excitement in the program. I'm so glad they saved the music for this year. This program is fantastic for Joannie - I have NEVER seen her skate with such steadiness, confidence, determination, and fire! She wants that Olympic gold! Can't wait for the season to "officially" start :clap:

SusieH

On the Ice
Yes, yes:)

Sounds like we have different tastes:p I like Yukari's white long sleeve ( it looks like she is holding a white handkerchief), but actually I will not notice the black one unless you wrote "sleeves"...

Well, at least we agree on Miki's costume and Dai's beautiful program.:p

I remember in one of his interviews Dai said because of the injury and recovery, he needed to train his muscle all over again, sort of like learning how to skate from the scratch (I don't remeber the exact words and can't find the interview. Please correct me if you remember what he said :)). So in the end he ended up improving a lot of his techniques. His body has become more flexible, and now he can spin longer than before. (They showed a demonstration of his doing a long spin sequence in that clip. Pretty impressive!)

ae9177

On the Ice
OMG, Takahashi's Tango is so far the BEST SP of the new season. The footwork is amazing. I really like the costume too. That's the Olympic quality program we're talking about. :clap:

Abbot's LP, on the other hand, is very generic and forgettable, I don't hate it, but I don't like it either, it's a regression comparing to Eight Season.

Mao's jump in EX still looks quite laboured, but the music and choreo of the EX is way better than her LP, she may consider to use this piece as her LP.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Loved Dai's Tango. Excellent program skated beautifully. I am so happy he is back and in the hunt. This season is going to be explosive with so much talent on the ice.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Daisuke is absolutely fantastic!! He is such a seasoned performer:love:
He is so much superior to Oda and Kozuka in performance quality and audience connection. IMHO, only Stephane can match him in that department.

Oscilla

On the Ice
I'm partial to Oda, myself. I really like his programs this year. This SP shows a lot of promise as well, though Nobunari after his skate said it's still just a work in progress. (And in terms of audience connection nothing beats his LP this season. :clap:)

Mao totally should rework her EX into SP or LP. It works so much better for her.

Jeff was amazing, both in LP and in the Gala. He's my favorite skater put of the "older generation". I love the way he interprets music.

Oh, WOW! Daisuke's program is stunning. That's skating that'll raise your metabolism when you watch it. It combines musicality and command. I was so moved by his tango that when I signed in to post this comment, I almost typed in "Takahashi" instead of my screen name. I've always loved his skating, and I missed him greatly while he was out with the injury. Thank goodness he was able to make it back--and in such shape!--for the Olympic year. One thing that stands out to me is how his footwork expresses the music. Many skaters do fast footwork while the music is playing, but the sequence is just there because it has to be, not because the music demands it at that moment. By contrast, here in Takahashi's tango is a union of the two elements, skating and music. Oh, I hope he's at his very best in the Olympics. If he ends up at the top of the podium, I certainly wouldn't complain.

By the way, anyone out there know who his choreographer is?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
By the way, anyone out there know who his choreographer is?
I thought it was Kenji Miyamoto (who IIRC also did the Bachelorette EX) but on Takahashi's ISU bio both Miyamoto and Pasquale Camerlengo are listed, so I'm not sure who did what. Either way, it seems to me that getting away from Morozov was the right thing for Dai. I would love to see more Miyamoto-choreographed programs rather than some of the generic stuff so many skaters go for these days.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I thought it was Kenji Miyamoto (who IIRC also did the Bachelorette EX) but on Takahashi's ISU bio both Miyamoto and Pasquale Camerlengo are listed, so I'm not sure who did what.

You're right about Miyamoto choreographing Daisuke's SP. Camerlengo did his FS La Strada.