Mishin on Plushenko comeback - interview | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mishin on Plushenko comeback - interview

hanca

Record Breaker
I've been careful not to use words such as "abuse" or the like. However, I do have to say that I am a bit older than Plushenko, grew up in the Soviet Union, and have never been hit by a parent, teacher, or coach. Ever.

Well, then you are lucky! I was brought in one of the easter European countries and have been hit by my parents quite often and by teachers sometimes (rarely). Most my friends were. (In fact, I don't know anyone from my generation who was not hit by parents or teachers.) I wouldn't call it abuse because the bottom line is that it was how things were done at that time. Every society makes the norms of behaviour and a lot of things which were considered 'normal' ages ago are now considered wrong, or which were wrong before are now considered 'normal'. If you call it abuse then you would be really saying that most of people in the past (and not only in the easter European countries) were physically abused. For example, in the UK corporal punishment including the use of the cane and ruler, was abolished in state schools in 1987 and 1998 in the fee-paying schools!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Hanca, I agree with you that most parents used corporal punishment (among my peer group, probably about 75%), but teachers - that surprises me. I know of one elementary school teacher in my school who used to hit her students' hands - some parents persevered in getting their kids transferred to parallel classes. Coaches were, indeed, different - there it was more prevalent.

antmanb

Record Breaker
My parents were always very traditional in their approach to bringing up kids including corporal pyunishment where they deemed it appropriate.

I'm fairly certain that by the time i came to be schooled though it was outlawed in schools, despite this i remember one science teacher at school who thought nothing of thrownig the board duster and someone who was talking in his lesson and often would pinch or pull our ears or hit us on the back of the head if we'd been naughty in his class (this was in 1990/1991 in the UK). Undoutebdly it was illegal, but if i'd cmolpained about it at home, i'd have been in double trouble as my parents would have been mad that i was misbehaving in school.

Ant