Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Men's Roster Presumptive

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cuttingedge View Post
    Judging from Chipeur's results in the Grand Prix events, it's not looking too good for him. He has done the worst compared to the other contenders for that second spot (the others being Ten, Reynolds and Sawyer) in terms of both placement and points. Here are their season bests thus far:

188.47 Kevin REYNOLDS - Cup of China 2009 (8th place)
    179.58 Shawn SAWYER - Rostelecom Cup 2009 (8th place)
    178.87 Jeremy TEN - NHK Trophy 2009 (10th place)
    176.36 Vaughn CHIPEUR - NHK Trophy 2009 (11th) place)

Chipeur even scored an embarrassingly low 155.43 to place dead last at TEB. The other three still have one more grand prix event each, so it will be interesting to see who can make the best impression on the international scene before nationals in January. I think most are looking to Chipeur and Ten to fill the second spot, but I wouldn't count out Reynolds and Sawyer. It all depends on who steps up when they have to.
    And the answer? No one. Sawyer's the only man to crack 200, and he medalled, so I think he's the frontrunner for the second spot - momentum is on his side, and he's a previous Olympian, so maybe he'll handle the pressure of this season better than the other three (Chipeur seems to be regressing from last season, and I don't know what's going on with Ten).

But yeah, Chipeur's all but out.

Truthfully, I'm more curious about France. Amodio is one of those who I think can be an accidental star of the games (his story, his skills, the fact that he's quite cute); Ponsero is probably the most purely talented of the next three and Preaubert actually medalled in a reasonably deep field.
    Last edited by ImaginaryPogue; 12-11-2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts

Custom Title
    Takahashi is a lock for Japan? Oh, goody! I worried, because the only thing I saw him do was the Grand Prix final, and he wasn't at his best, but I love his skating so much that I hoped he would make it. I was pretty sure that Oda was in after his magnificent Grand Prix year, but I was concerned about Daisuke. Both of those men are wonderful, but there's something about Takahashi that makes him stand out to me. I hope he recovers completely and peaks just in time for Vancouver. I'd be thrilled if he turned out to be the winner.

On the Ice
    I like Shawn Sawyer. I hope he can make it.

I have faith in the swan futureidol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleaxle View Post
    I like Shawn Sawyer. I hope he can make it.
    Me too, he's my fav current Canadian male skater. I love his flexibility and artistry. Plus he's very cute.

Custom Title
    Is Michal Brezina now guaranteed an Olympic spot as he won Czech nationals, beating Tomas Verner? Or do we have to wait until Europeans to see if he gets a spot? I assume Tomas still has his spot even though he didn't win nationals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Is Michal Brezina now guaranteed an Olympic spot as he won Czech nationals, beating Tomas Verner? Or do we have to wait until Europeans to see if he gets a spot? I assume Tomas still has his spot even though he didn't win nationals.
    Thanks to Verner's 4th place finish at the last world championships, Czechs have two olympic spot in the mens competition. Hence both will go to Olympics as well as Euros

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by life684 View Post
    Thanks to Verner's 4th place finish at the last world championships, Czechs have two olympic spot in the mens competition. Hence both will go to Olympics as well as Euros
    Oh that's great news! I really like both Verner and Brezina, lots of talent. If Verner could land all his jumps in the SP and LP I think he could maybe win OGM, or definitely medal, especially if Joubert's injury is still nagging him. Tomas is so unpredictable, though, it seems like he always starts out great then makes silly mistakes. He's the male equivalent of Carolina Kostner, who I also hope will be at the Olympics!

The problem with Brezina is that he has probliems skating both SP and LP at his best. Hopefully we will see 2 great ones at Euros and Olys. If he does he will be top 5 at the Olys and a podium contender at Worlds. No?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The problem with Brezina is that he has probliems skating both SP and LP at his best. Hopefully we will see 2 great ones at Euros and Olys. If he does he will be top 5 at the Olys and a podium contender at Worlds. No?
    I agree, but that's the problem with Verner too, probably even more so. A clean Verner could easily have the highest TES of the men and his PCS are usually high too because of his good edging, speed, and footwork. I think if he could ever do two programs to his potential he could win OGM. Brezina could also do quite well, but again I think it will all come down to if these two men can deliver when it really counts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2