Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stars, Stripes and Skates 2009 [Olympic programs unveiled!]

/(^.^)/\(^.^)\

Stars, Stripes and Skates 2009 [Olympic programs unveiled!]

8th Annual Stars, Stripes and Skates ICEtravaganza took place on Sept. 26th. Some skaters skated their new programs for the first time.

The rink was tiny, so the skaters were slower than usual, but despite of that I really enjoyed those performances that were uploaded so far.

Miki Ando - possibly the new LP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgicbEPMPi0
    [Music from "Rome" and "Marco Polo"]

Nobunari Oda - Charlie Chaplin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTuT_JSd0m8

Johnny Weir - I Love You I Hate You
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htUBlVmcYpk

Photos:
    Clese-up of Johnny's costume
    Miki, Nobu & Chris warming up off-ice

Some tweets:
    "Nobunari Oda did his FS to Charlie Chaplin... 8 triples! brought the house down!!!!!" @virtud84
    "Miki's new dress gorgeous... goldish sparkly as hell lol" @virtud84
    "I love when the Japanese skate to Charlie Chaplin. They so get it." @buckhollywood
    More at virtud84

^^^Thanks for the links. Loved Oda's Charlie Chaplin. Miki's program was wonderful and her costume was beautiful. Johnny's SP was good but
    it did not zing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    ^^^Thanks for the links. Loved Oda's Charlie Chaplin. Miki's program was wonderful and her costume was beautiful. Johnny's SP was good but
    it did not zing for me.
    What she said. Johnny also doesn't look to be in form, not like Miki or Nobu.

Custom Title
    Thanks so much for the link. Agree with what everyone has said. Oda looked fabulous. Loved his program. Cannot wait to see a better-quality version so we can see his facial expression. Miki looked great too. Loved it much much better than both of her LPs from the last season.

I liked Johnny's SP much better than his SP from the previous season, but it was just OK, especially when compared with Oda's exciting fun program. I'm blaming the music. And yes, he didn't seem to be in form. Hope he gains his jumps back soon.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    I like Miki's dress and hairstyle very much

Rinkside
    Thank you for the links.

I like Miki's hair style,which I've never seen before. I can't say something about her program yet because of the low quality of the video.

I am a little bit disappointed with Nobu's program. It's a most typical Chaplin with no spectacles, nothing more than expected.

As for Johhney, IMHO he needs to put himself into the program more. For me, it seemed that Wilson's choreograpy didn't suit him right now.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Johnny: I am disappointed. Wasn't this music composed/arranged just for him. The begining sounded like everything else he has skated to and the second part sounded like average dance music at a 40+ dinner. The chreoography was nothing new and the footwork didn't really match the music (but maybe he didn't do his real footwork, as this was just a show).

Miki: Love the dress wow. Nice to hear new music, esp considering this is an olympic year. I watch HBO's Rome and sometimes thought that the music would be good for skating. I just really like the whole concept and the choreography and she actually performs it really well. Way to go!

Nobu: I could listen to Chaplin music all day and he is the perfect skater to use it. Inspired. Absolutely love it. If he skates like that when the pressure is on, he will be hard to beat.

Custom Title
    Wow! I love Miki's music. I am a big fan of the TV show "Rome" and that theme song is wonderful, so I'm excited. I hope she sticks with it.

Quote Originally Posted by UnsaneLily87 View Post
    Wow! I love Miki's music. I am a big fan of the TV show "Rome" and that theme song is wonderful, so I'm excited. I hope she sticks with it.
    What's this TV show "Rome" about and who has done the music?
    Miki is great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    Miki is great!!!
    TV-Series and composer

/(^.^)/\(^.^)\
    A v.short review of the event is available here:
    http://www.lifeskate.com/skate/2009/...es-skates.html
    Highlights:
    Nobunari Oda's free skate to Charlie Chaplin -- Nobu brought down the house with this number. Overhead: Wow, that little guy can skate! He's like a little bird!

Debut of Johnny Weir's new short program I Love You, I Hate You. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it.
    Last edited by Okami; 09-27-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Rinkside
    Miki is great!!!
    Ando plays Cleopatra
    Just gorgeous! The Gold will be yours.
    Last edited by Fenena; 09-27-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Custom Title
    Miki is great!!!
    Rome was an HBO series about...well, ancient Rome. It had all of the big players like Caesar and Anthony and Brutus as well as fictionalized Romans (Lucius Vorenus, one of the main characters, was a soldier mentioned once in some speech somewhere, but he's a huge character in the show). It does an excellent job portraying the Roman era. I highly recommend it.

Custom Title
    I hate to say it, but if the judges decide Johnny is wearing tights rather than pants, he will get a deduction.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    I hate to say it, but if the judges decide Johnny is wearing tights rather than pants, he will get a deduction.
    Since he's wearing a unitard and the pants part of it is no tighter than most male skaters' costumes, that seems unlikely.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast