Stars, Stripes and Skates 2009 [Olympic programs unveiled!] | Golden Skate

Stars, Stripes and Skates 2009 [Olympic programs unveiled!]

Okami

On the Ice
8th Annual Stars, Stripes and Skates ICEtravaganza took place on Sept. 26th. Some skaters skated their new programs for the first time. :)

The rink was tiny, so the skaters were slower than usual, but despite of that I really enjoyed those performances that were uploaded so far.

Miki Ando - possibly the new LP :agree: :rock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgicbEPMPi0
[Music from "Rome" and "Marco Polo"]

Nobunari Oda - Charlie Chaplin :love: :laugh: :clap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTuT_JSd0m8

Johnny Weir - I Love You I Hate You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htUBlVmcYpk

Photos:
Clese-up of Johnny's costume
Miki, Nobu & Chris warming up off-ice

Some tweets:
"Nobunari Oda did his FS to Charlie Chaplin... 8 triples! brought the house down!!!!!" @virtud84
"Miki's new dress gorgeous... goldish sparkly as hell lol" @virtud84
"I love when the Japanese skate to Charlie Chaplin. They so get it." @buckhollywood
More at virtud84 :)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^^^Thanks for the links. Loved Oda's Charlie Chaplin. Miki's program was wonderful and her costume was beautiful. Johnny's SP was good but
it did not zing for me.

Medusa

Record Breaker
^^^Thanks for the links. Loved Oda's Charlie Chaplin. Miki's program was wonderful and her costume was beautiful. Johnny's SP was good but
it did not zing for me.
What she said. Johnny also doesn't look to be in form, not like Miki or Nobu.

SusieH

On the Ice
Thanks so much for the link. Agree with what everyone has said. Oda looked fabulous. Loved his program. :love: Cannot wait to see a better-quality version so we can see his facial expression. Miki looked great too. Loved it much much better than both of her LPs from the last season.

I liked Johnny's SP much better than his SP from the previous season, but it was just OK, especially when compared with Oda's exciting fun program. I'm blaming the music. And yes, he didn't seem to be in form. Hope he gains his jumps back soon.

younggrass

Rinkside
Thank you for the links.

I like Miki's hair style,which I've never seen before. I can't say something about her program yet because of the low quality of the video.

I am a little bit disappointed with Nobu's program. It's a most typical Chaplin with no spectacles, nothing more than expected.

As for Johhney, IMHO he needs to put himself into the program more. For me, it seemed that Wilson's choreograpy didn't suit him right now.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Johnny: I am disappointed. Wasn't this music composed/arranged just for him. The begining sounded like everything else he has skated to and the second part sounded like average dance music at a 40+ dinner. The chreoography was nothing new and the footwork didn't really match the music (but maybe he didn't do his real footwork, as this was just a show).

Miki: Love the dress wow. Nice to hear new music, esp considering this is an olympic year. I watch HBO's Rome and sometimes thought that the music would be good for skating. I just really like the whole concept and the choreography and she actually performs it really well. Way to go!

Nobu: I could listen to Chaplin music all day and he is the perfect skater to use it. Inspired. Absolutely love it. If he skates like that when the pressure is on, he will be hard to beat.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Wow! I love Miki's music. I am a big fan of the TV show "Rome" and that theme song is wonderful, so I'm excited. I hope she sticks with it.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Wow! I love Miki's music. I am a big fan of the TV show "Rome" and that theme song is wonderful, so I'm excited. I hope she sticks with it.

What's this TV show "Rome" about and who has done the music?
Miki is great!!!

Okami

On the Ice
Last edited:

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
What's this TV show "Rome" about and who has done the music?
Miki is great!!!

Rome was an HBO series about...well, ancient Rome. It had all of the big players like Caesar and Anthony and Brutus as well as fictionalized Romans (Lucius Vorenus, one of the main characters, was a soldier mentioned once in some speech somewhere, but he's a huge character in the show). It does an excellent job portraying the Roman era. I highly recommend it.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I hate to say it, but if the judges decide Johnny is wearing tights rather than pants, he will get a deduction.

pippa

Rinkside
I hate to say it, but if the judges decide Johnny is wearing tights rather than pants, he will get a deduction.

Since he's wearing a unitard and the pants part of it is no tighter than most male skaters' costumes, that seems unlikely.

psycho

On the Ice
Good God, folks, if judges were going to start to deduct Johnny for his costumes they would have done that a long time ago! Remember the outfit he won his World medal in? It was a shoulder-baring corset pulled together with lace (front and back)!That was pure "ladies' wear" and this is manly compared to that get up ( which for the record was awesome, but that's just my subjective opinion;))

Seriously, the judges weren't born yesterday and this is figure skating for crying out loud! :rofl:

ae9177

On the Ice
Nobu Oda's LP is great! :clap: I'm typically not a big fan of Morozov, but I'm very impressed this time, good job! But the all black costume doesn't fit this program, that needs to be changed.

Miki Ando's dress is so lovely! :love: Her expression improved a lot. She may upset the big2 in the Olympics, way to go Miki! :clap:

As to Johnny Weir, I agree with most of the posts that after reading all the hypes of this program, I'm disappointed. The music/choroe/skate/costume, everything is the same old same old stuff Zzzzz, nothing's exciting. Jeremy Abbott's SP is much better.

moby23c

Spectator
Johnny: I am disappointed. Wasn't this music composed/arranged just for him. The begining sounded like everything else he has skated to and the second part sounded like average dance music at a 40+ dinner. The chreoography was nothing new and the footwork didn't really match the music (but maybe he didn't do his real footwork, as this was just a show).

Miki: Love the dress wow. Nice to hear new music, esp considering this is an olympic year. I watch HBO's Rome and sometimes thought that the music would be good for skating. I just really like the whole concept and the choreography and she actually performs it really well. Way to go!

Nobu: I could listen to Chaplin music all day and he is the perfect skater to use it. Inspired. Absolutely love it. If he skates like that when the pressure is on, he will be hard to beat.

You kind of sound a bit canned here.