Ladies Roster Presumptive | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ladies Roster Presumptive

Ivana

On the Ice
Ladies Vancouver Olympic Winter Games 2010 :

Dytrt is not going for sure, she did not fullfill the nomination criteria. Sarah Hecken is the only one who got it.
Russia did not decide their entries yet, Leonova is believed to be a lock, but there is still fight for the second spot.
Austria did not confirm their entries either, Ziegler has an advantage by winning nationals, but they will decide their entry only after Europeans, it's between Ziegler & Kerstin Frank.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
In terms of the american skaters, did the USFSA actually confirm that it would be two ladies of Sasha, Rachael, Ashley, Alissa, Mirai, and Caroline or is that just speculation? There will be other ladies at nationals who could be spoilers and end up top 2, Alexe Gilles, Angela Maxwell, Christina Gao, Emily Hughes come to mind (there are others too....lots of entries at nats). If one of these skaters were to finish 1st or 2nd (all are age-eligible for the Olympics) will the USFSA definitely bump them and send one of the ladies you had listed?

Also does anyone know if Sasha is definitely competing or not? Nationals are in like 3 weeks...

Also, Emile Lacoste is looking much stronger than Cynthia these days. If she does better at Canadian Nationals will she get to go?

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
For Italy the deciding event will now be Euro.
If Kostner had won Nats, probably she could be sure of the spot, but now it's all open.

This is so weird, I mean I know Carolina hasn't been great this season but I think nationals was just a fluke. It's not like Valentina is known internationally as an OM contender like Carolina is. I would just hate for Carolina to not go, at her best, she really could medal or at least do really well at the Olympics.

Ivana

On the Ice
The question about Carolina is, if she can ever get back at her best. Since last worlds she's just a shadow of herself. So why not send Valentina who's probably at her best right now? Honestly I don't see Carolina as a medal contender if she continues like this and Valentina can also bring a good placement.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
yes, but it's not only nats...so far this season Marchei is getting better every event (except Merano Cup), while Kostner is always struggling. Carolina's palmares is better, but nowadays it's all a question mark. It will be a though decision for the Italian Federation.

pokky_oc

On the Ice
In terms of the american skaters, did the USFSA actually confirm that it would be two ladies of Sasha, Rachael, Ashley, Alissa, Mirai, and Caroline or is that just speculation? There will be other ladies at nationals who could be spoilers and end up top 2, Alexe Gilles, Angela Maxwell, Christina Gao, Emily Hughes come to mind (there are others too....lots of entries at nats). If one of these skaters were to finish 1st or 2nd (all are age-eligible for the Olympics) will the USFSA definitely bump them and send one of the ladies you had listed?

Also does anyone know if Sasha is definitely competing or not? Nationals are in like 3 weeks...

Also, Emile Lacoste is looking much stronger than Cynthia these days. If she does better at Canadian Nationals will she get to go?

Oh, sorry! No, it's just a speculation! Of course any of the girls you mentioned could make it to the team! But remember there's only two spots and Caroline Zhang, Ashley Wagner, Rachel Flatt, Alissa Czisny and Mirai Nagasu is looking pretty strong and might take the spots!

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
German Lady

Sarah Hecken was offical nominated by the German Olympic Sports Confederation on 17th December! She was the only lady who met the criterias, so she was nominated before the German Championships, which she won!

She is only 16 years old and this is her first year where she is old enough for EC; WC and Olympics. It will be a great experience for her.

Enjoy the time Sarah! :rock:

Shaba22

Final Flight
Kostner in 2003 Euros LP did 3Lz+3T and 3F+3T combinations.
In 2007 she could do a 3F+3T+2Lo comnination.
In 2009 Euros she did only 3Lz+2T+2Lo and 3F+2T.

And this season she didn't do any 3Lz...

So sad...

Trewyn

Medalist
I was reading a Belgian newspaper stating that the number of qualified participants in the Winter Games is 5; the mention each of the athletes by name (Kevin is one of them) but Isabelle is not; so it appears that she's not a lock at this point.. I think the Belgian OC wants Isabelle to achieve a certain placement at Euros? Anyone know about this?

EDIT: she has to place 12th at Europeans :s I guess that's not going to happen... Sigh the BOIC always has such impossible criteria! Why can't they just rejoice in the fact that a Belgian skater qualified for the event? Cross fingers for Isabelle at Euros! She must have done something right at Nebelhorn; perhaps 12th place is doable after all...

Last edited:
N

n_halifax

I was reading a Belgian newspaper stating that the number of qualified participants in the Winter Games is 5; the mention each of the athletes by name (Kevin is one of them) but Isabelle is not; so it appears that she's not a lock at this point.. I think the Belgian OC wants Isabelle to achieve a certain placement at Euros? Anyone know about this?

Her website says that she still has to meet the criteria of the Belgian Olympic Interfederal Committee (BOIC). I don't speak the language but my IMPRESSION (I may be wrong) based on this .pdf document (http://www.olympic.be/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=g292u9GuFP8=&tabid=186&language=nl-NL) is that Isabelle would have finish at least 12th place at Europeans. However, Isabelle IS listed on a list called "BOT Lijst - Olympische Spelen Vancouver 2012". It says "Komt in aanmerking Kunstschaatsen Vrouwen Individueel PIEMAN Isabelle". Kevin Van Der Perren has "Geselecteerd" by his name leading me to believe he has already been selected. That said, no other ladies from Belgium seem to be on the list to be considered to it looks like Isabelle Pieman or nobody. Based on some of the question marks out there,
alternates like Anastasia Gimazetdinova and Cheltzie Lee for instance are looking like possible entries.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Kostner in 2003 Euros LP did 3Lz+3T and 3F+3T combinations.
In 2007 she could do a 3F+3T+2Lo comnination.
In 2009 Euros she did only 3Lz+2T+2Lo and 3F+2T.

And this season she didn't do any 3Lz...

So sad...

I wouldn't count her out just yet. Carolina is super unpredictable, meaning if she's been doing poorly recently, I wouldn't be surprised if she did great at Euros. Plus the competition at Euros isn't that steep, Lepisto is usually only good for 3-4 triples and usually these are sal, loop, and toeloop. Ksenia and Alena are probably the toughest competition at Euros and I think all Kostner has to do to make the Olympics is beat Marchei right?

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
and I think all Kostner has to do to make the Olympics is beat Marchei right?

yes, now they are 1-1 in direct competition (I mean, Kostner won Merano Cup, Marchei Nats). I'm really hoping the competition among those two will turn in the competition for the Euro's podium :biggrin:

Carolina is super unpredictable, meaning if she's been doing poorly recently, I wouldn't be surprised if she did great at Euros

:agree: I would expect everything, just look in the chrismas gala how she did: one evening she struggled with all the jumps, next evening they were perfect..

npavel

On the Ice
I wonder if Italy will still send Carolina to the Olympics if she also finishes behind Valentina Marchei at the European Championship? Not only that but she was only able to execute one clean triple in the free skate and only scored 155.68 total.
In other news, Laura Lepisto another national championship with Korpi in second. It looks like Lepisto and Korpii for the Olympics unless something strange happens at the European Championship in January.

Strange comment since Carolina got ratified more than one triple, but Luara Lepisto really attempted and got ratified only one triple in the long program and still got higher scores (Laura got 106 points for that) than Carolina.

Many say Caro is down and Vale up men Vale scored once more than Caro in her international minor competitions being on the podium most of the time and scoring way under Caro at her GP with much stronger competitors and programs. So I found all this comments very strange and can't understand them.

On the other side everyone has different tasks and I respect that. Just like to point out the situation in witch Caro lost to Vale. Vale was at her home ring with her team organising the event, no problem with that. But there happend something unexpected. As Caro took the ice, some people offendet her screaming a lot of ************* words that I'm not willing to report and she better go home. I found this attitude very crazy and unfair.
Caro meld down in the SP, Vale did a god SP and I'm OK with her deserved winning the title, I love her. I'm still sure Caro deserved to win the free but not by so much for compensate the disastrous short she did after this unfair behaviour of the crowd (witch was a little better at the free).

:agree: I would expect everything, just look in the chrismas gala how she did: one evening she struggled with all the jumps, next evening they were perfect..
I really hope she will do well, she deserves it too

Last edited:
N

n_halifax

Any word on whether or not Anna Jurkiewicz is in or out since they pulled her from the list for Europeans?

ankka

Rinkside
Laura and Kiira will be the Finnish ladies for the Olympics unless an injury comes in their way.

N

n_halifax

Tamar Katz is probably out... I read an article saying that if she didn't place in the top 10? 12? (I forget) she wouldn't be sent to Vancouver so there's probably another available spot.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Tamar Katz is probably out... I read an article saying that if she didn't place in the top 10? 12? (I forget) she wouldn't be sent to Vancouver so there's probably another available spot.
Tamar Katz is out. She would have needed top 12 and didn't even qualify for the free skate, so her NOC declined to send her. According to the first post in this thread, the first alternate was the Czech Republic; I don't think they have anyone good right now. Does this mean Gizmo will be going to Vancouver? I haven't seen her anywhere this season.

N

n_halifax

Tamar Katz is out. She would have needed top 12 and didn't even qualify for the free skate, so her NOC declined to send her. According to the first post in this thread, the first alternate was the Czech Republic; I don't think they have anyone good right now. Does this mean Gizmo will be going to Vancouver? I haven't seen her anywhere this season.

Well seeing as the Czech Republic set out guidelines that their ladies representative would have to finish in the top eight at Europeans and Martina Bocek, their representative, finished 27th and did not qualify for the free skate... it's not looking like they will be using that spot. Anastasia Gimazetdinova of Uzbekistan is next in line and a probable fill for this position - she was 12th at Cup of Russia and 14th at the Nebelhorn Trophy so this hasn't been a very strong season for her so far. She is scheduled to compete at Four Continents in a few days - perhaps we'll see what kind of form she is in there. Cheltzie Lee, Australia's champion is next in line after Gimazetdinova and chances are that Australia WOULD send her - both AUS and NZL are very much all about getting their skaters out there in the big events at every opportunity.