Ladies Roster Presumptive | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies Roster Presumptive

Trewyn

Medalist
^^And Ashley! (As a die hard fan I have to defend her). I still believe she has as good a shot as any of the US Ladies to win Nats and make the Olympic team. Go Ashley!!!

After seeing the SA results, I think the US ladies will be Rachael Flatt and Alissa Czisny. I think Rachael is starting to become well liked by the judges, and when compared to Ashley Wagner I'd say Rachael has the edge with more consistency and technical difficulty compared to Ashley's faster skating. As long as Alissa skates decently the judges will reward her with super high PCS and she'll be 1st or 2nd at nationals I bet. The US judges love her, and artistically she is way above the others. Personally, I prefer Zhang and Nagasu to Flatt and Wagner, but the judges always seem to keep their scores down as much as possible...especially Caroline Zhang. Mirai if she rotates her jumps will get good scores, and I really hope she does! But I bet it will be Flatt and Czisny in the end
Very, very well thought out, and written post. I always enjoy reading a post that is more about skating than one that is just about a favorite. However, it is important that the PC scores are about the program components - not totally about the performance which we knew of in the 6.0 system. Also, I am not sure, if the PC scores are equal to the Tech scores in the final figuring. Help anyone knows if they are equal.

an opinion of a skater's performace, is just that, an opinion. it does not cover the scores laid out by the ISU. It does give Ashley as well as Rachael an advantage over Caroline and Alyssa.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
an opinion of a skater's performace, is just that, an opinion. it does not cover the scores laid out by the ISU. It does give Ashley as well as Rachael an advantage over Caroline and Alyssa.

You are probably right, I never really thought of that. It just SEEMS like with the new system, the judges can work it to hold up the skaters they like and give the skater's they don't like as much no benefit of the doubt.

For US ladies, I would say you can pretty much divide the top contenders into two groups.

Group A - Rachael, Ashley, Kimmie (if she competes), Emily (if she improves)

Group B- Alissa, Mirai, Alexe, Caroline (could probably go in either group)

The skaters from group A are generally more consistent, have little technical issues, but artistically aren't as strong as the skaters in group B. The skaters in group B are more artistic and excell in the non-technical elements of the programs at all performances. The skaters in group B however, are more prone to meltdowns.

So here's the thing. Results aside, I think the US should pick a skater from each group to have the best shot at placing well at the olympics. While a skater like Rachael or Ashley you can pretty much count on being in the top 10 at the Olympics, their chances of medaling there are slim. On the flip side, a skater such as Mirai or Alissa could easily finish lower than tenth at the Olympics due to nervous meltdowns or jump issues. While medaling may still be a stretch for either girl, with a great performance, Mirai or Alissa could probably place higher than Rachael or Ashley.

So basically, will the US go with the girls who are consistently good, but somewhat limited, or the girls with possibly greater potential, but who are more prone to mistakes? What do you think?

samba

On the Ice
For US, Rachael Flatt seems to be the most promising for the spot at this moment. I can't see how Emily Hughes will be any possibility after a poor show at GP in these last couple years. She has taken off school this year to train full time, still unable to make much progress. She is running out of time. My guess is it will come down to who skates better at the Nationals; Zhang, Nagasu, Czisny, or Wagner.

Layfan

Record Breaker
You are probably right, I never really thought of that. It just SEEMS like with the new system, the judges can work it to hold up the skaters they like and give the skater's they don't like as much no benefit of the doubt.

For US ladies, I would say you can pretty much divide the top contenders into two groups.

Group A - Rachael, Ashley, Kimmie (if she competes), Emily (if she improves)

Group B- Alissa, Mirai, Alexe, Caroline (could probably go in either group)

The skaters from group A are generally more consistent, have little technical issues, but artistically aren't as strong as the skaters in group B. The skaters in group B are more artistic and excell in the non-technical elements of the programs at all performances. The skaters in group B however, are more prone to meltdowns.

So here's the thing. Results aside, I think the US should pick a skater from each group to have the best shot at placing well at the olympics. While a skater like Rachael or Ashley you can pretty much count on being in the top 10 at the Olympics, their chances of medaling there are slim. On the flip side, a skater such as Mirai or Alissa could easily finish lower than tenth at the Olympics due to nervous meltdowns or jump issues. While medaling may still be a stretch for either girl, with a great performance, Mirai or Alissa could probably place higher than Rachael or Ashley.

So basically, will the US go with the girls who are consistently good, but somewhat limited, or the girls with possibly greater potential, but who are more prone to mistakes? What do you think?

I agree with your analysis of which of the Americans would place highest at the Olympics IF they skate their best. But I don't think that is the way the US will choose. Because they all have weaknesses (and a tendency to have a meltdown is a huge weakness) the US will simply send the top 2 finishers I realize they can play around with the PCS to favor one skater or another but I really think that this time, it will come down to who has the cleanest skate. If not ... well there should be an interesting uproar.:)

Also, I used to think that Rachael of Ashley, even at their best, didn't have much of a chance to medal at the Olympics barring impressive meltdowns by yuna, rochette, ect. But now I'm having my doubts. This is not because I think Rachael and Ashley have shown amazing improvements but because the other skaters of the world haven't been as impressive as I thought they would be. Ando won both of her GP events but showed she is vulnerable and, I'd say, beatable by several of the American ladies. Same thing with Rochette. And then there's Mao's meltdown. So who is left? No one the American ladies aren't capable of beating, IMO. My hopes of the Americans medaling have risen, that's for sure.

reynycpr

On the Ice
JPN: Well for whatever reason, I have to think Mao is a lock. I just can't see her off the team. I would even go as far to say Miki is a lock as well ;) 3rd spot for me is between Akiko:confused: and Nakano:yes:.

Unfortunately I feel that Fumie has slim chances. Considering that this federation also takes into account GP performances, I would say Fumie is at an disadvantage. She is the only top lady from JPN that did not pick up a medal during the GP. (Mao: 2nd TEB, Nakano: 3rd TEB, Akiko: 1st COC, Miki: 1st COR & NHK). But I wouldn't be surprised if Fumie does finish in the top 3 at Nationals.

CAN: Joannie is a lock. Before Skate Canada, I also thought Cynthia was a lock for the 2nd spot, but now after her horrid FS this past weekend, I'm starting to doubt it.... :(

ITA: Carolina is a lock.

FIN: Korpi and Lepisto have proven (that no matter how they skate), Judges love them, and Finland knows it. Lepisto has a Bronze from Skate Canada, and Korpi has a Silver from Cup of China. Although Poykio finished with the Bronze at last years (weak field) Euros, sadly I don't think her 10th at Finlandia and 11th at Skate America will help much with her Olympic bid...and I love them all.

USA: This is tough! I LOVE Alissa, but I do believe that Wagner and Flatt are the front-runners heading into Spokane... and not just for Olympic spots, but for the Title as well.

Wagner: Is the only American lady to pick a medal at both her GPs and she qualified for the final.

Flatt: Although did not qualify for final, she did manage to beat Kim in the LP at SA and secure herself a Silver as well (although her skating bores me to tears), she also has the highest free skate and overall total of the U.S. ladies so far this season.

Czisny: 1st at Nelbelhorn, 4th @ COR and 2nd at SC.

I know its not much and I know strange things have happened this season so far...but I still find it interesting that Czisny has the highest SP score this season of the U.S. ladies, and 4th overall: (Kim has the top 2, 76.28 & 76.08, followed by Rochette 70.00, Czisny 63.52, Mirai 62.20, Korpi 61.20, & Kostner 61.12).

As much as I would love to see Alissa in Van.; I also have to think about which skaters are more likely to bring in the best results at the Olympics. And again...had Czisny finished top 8 at worlds last year, there would be 3 spots instead of just 2 :-(
Everyone has seen her pull off the great short program, But its Czisny's free skate that have many concerned....

Last edited:

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
Germany

The German Lady at the Olympic Winter Games will be Sarah Hecken.

She is the only one who meets the criteria of the DOSB (German Olympic Comitte). The ladies have to receive more than 128 Points twice, out of 3 international competitions.

So we will have a talented 16 year old girl, who will have a wunderful time there and can learn a lot of things out of the experience of her first Olympic Games.

Because of the Qualification for the Olympics, Sarah will participate at the Europeans too. The second German lady will be the best eligable lady at the German Championships.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The German Lady at the Olympic Winter Games will be Sarah Hecken.

She is the only one who meets the criteria of the DOSB (German Olympic Comitte). The ladies have to receive more than 128 Points twice, out of 3 international competitions.

So we will have a talented 16 year old girl, who will have a wunderful time there and can learn a lot of things out of the experience of her first Olympic Games.

Because of the Qualification for the Olympics, Sarah will participate at the Europeans too. The second German lady will be the best eligable lady at the German Championships.

I love Sarah! She is adorable and her triple-triple is very high! At 16 and 5'7" she is definitely impressive....just needs to work on her spiral and she will be great! Plus I love her LP dress, so cute, even though it looks like a hot fudge sundae

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
Miki Ando finished before Akkiko Suzuki and also medal, therefore she is locked for an Olympic spot.
Yukari, Fumie, and Akkiko will battle out the final spot in Nationals.
I personally think Fumie might be able to place higher than both Yukari and Akkiko due to JSF's favoritism to her, but it terms of actually chances of getting a medal, Yukari might squeeze past Akkiko and Fumie.

However Akkiko did show us a stunning free program in GPF. so its going to be nailbiterrrr.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Miki Ando finished before Akkiko Suzuki and also medal, therefore she is locked for an Olympic spot.
Yukari, Fumie, and Akkiko will battle out the final spot in Nationals.
I personally think Fumie might be able to place higher than both Yukari and Akkiko due to JSF's favoritism to her, but it terms of actually chances of getting a medal, Yukari might squeeze past Akkiko and Fumie.

However Akkiko did show us a stunning free program in GPF. so its going to be nailbiterrrr. /QUOTE]

JSF has 2 more spots left.

Mao hasn't earned one yet. Unless she does a decent showing, she may not be able to get a spot, esp. given how many talented skaters Japan has right now.

Kimmie Fan

On the Ice
I love Sarah! She is adorable and her triple-triple is very high! At 16 and 5'7" she is definitely impressive....just needs to work on her spiral and she will be great! Plus I love her LP dress, so cute, even though it looks like a hot fudge sundae

she also seems to be one of the few skaters that rotate their jump clockwise. :cool:

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Carolina Kostner second at Italian nationals to Valentina Marchei

I wonder if Italy will still send Carolina to the Olympics if she also finishes behind Valentina Marchei at the European Championship? Not only that but she was only able to execute one clean triple in the free skate and only scored 155.68 total. It will be interesting to see how she does at European Championship. What must be going through Frank Carroll's mind right now? I suppose Italy has really no choice but to still send her even if she bombs the European because of her past international results.

In other news, Laura Lepisto another national championship with Korpi in second. It looks like Lepisto and Korpii for the Olympics unless something strange happens at the European Championship in January.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
I think that despite Carolina's result at Europeans, she should be sent to the Olympics. Not just because I like her :)biggrin:), but due to her past results (two time World medalist, two time European champion and two bronze medals at the GPF) and due to her overall quality, which is better than Valentina's.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I wonder if Italy will still send Carolina to the Olympics if she also finishes behind Valentina Marchei at the European Championship? Not only that but she was only able to execute one clean triple in the free skate and only scored 155.68 total. It will be interesting to see how she does at European Championship. What must be going through Frank Carroll's mind right now? I suppose Italy has really no choice but to still send her even if she bombs the European because of her past international results.

In other news, Laura Lepisto another national championship with Korpi in second. It looks like Lepisto and Korpii for the Olympics unless something strange happens at the European Championship in January.

Yike, only one tirple?? Is she injure herself or what?? So far this season has been disaster for her. She is a headcase, but for 2 times world medalist to land one tirple, that's just bad. Can she recover in time for the Olympics, even if she send to it?

pokky_oc

On the Ice
Ladies Entries

Ladies Vancouver Olympic Winter Games 2010 Entries

* Means not definite yet.

1. Mao Asada JPN
2. Akiko Suzuki JPN
3. Miki Ando JPN
4. Joannie Rochette CAN
5. Cynthia Phaneuf CAN
6. Laura Lepistö FIN
7. Kiira Korpi FIN
8. Elene Gedevanishivili GEO
9. Yu-Na Kim KOR
10. Kwak Min-Jung KOR
11. Alena Leonova RUS
12. Ksenia Makarova RUS
13. Sarah Meier SUI
14. Bettina Heim SUI
15. Rachel Flatt USA
16. Mirai Nagasu USA
17. Elena Glebova EST
18. Sarah Hecken GER
19. Jenna McCorkell GBR
20. Carolina Kostner ITA
21. Anna Jurkiewicz/ Aneta Michalek POL *
22. Ivana Reitmayerová SVK
23. Tuğba Karademir TUR
24. Liu Yan CHN
25. Júlia Sebestyén HUN
26. Teodora Poštič SLO
27. Miriam Ziegler AUT
28. Sonia Lafuente ESP
29. Isabelle Pieman BEL
30. Tamar Katz ISR

The Olympic Entries by Personal Bests in Total Score

1. Yu-Na Kim KOR 210.03
2. Mao Asada JPN 201.87
3. Miki Ando JPN 195.09
4. Joannie Rochette CAN 191.29
5. Carolina Kostner ITA 184.68
6. Akiko Suzuki JPN 176.66
7. Rachel Flatt USA 174.91
8. Sarah Meier SUI 171.88
9. Laura Lepistö FIN 170.07
10. Cynthia Phaneuf CAN 169.41
11. Alena Leonova RUS 168.91
12. Júlia Sebestyén HUN 165.22
13. Elene Gedevanishivili GEO 164.54
14. Mirai Nagasu USA 163.84
15. Kiira Korpi FIN 163.27
16. Elena Glebova EST 148.71
17. Ivana Reitmayerová SVK 147.41
18. Ksenia Makarova RUS 147.29
19. Liu Yan CHN 145.92
20. Jenna McCorkell GBR 145.57
21. Tuğba Karademir TUR 138.73
22. Sarah Hecken GER 135.83
23. Anna Jurkiewicz POL * 130.29
24. Tamar Katz ISR 126.09

25. Sonia Lafuente ESP 124.95
26. Miriam Ziegler AUT 124.18
27. Kwak Min-Jung KOR 117.42
28. Teodora Poštič SLO 114.95
29. Bettina Heim SUI 108.77
30. Isabelle Pieman BEL 96.64

The Olympic Entries by Personal Bests in Short Program
NOTE: I made this because qualification to the free skate is very important at the Olympic Games.

1. Yu-Na Kim KOR 76.28
2. Mao Asada JPN 75.84
3. Joannie Rochette CAN 70.00
4. Miki Ando JPN 67.98
5. Carolina Kostner ITA 67.15
6. Mirai Nagasu USA 65.07
7. Kiira Korpi FIN 64.26
8. Laura Lepistö FIN 62.96
9. Alena Leonova RUS 61.60
10. Júlia Sebestyén HUN 61.28
11. Cynthia Phaneuf CAN 60.98
12. Sarah Meier SUI 60.87
13. Elene Gedevanishivili GEO 60.82
14. Rachel Flatt USA 60.16
15. Akiko Suzuki JPN 59.52
16. Elena Glebova EST 55.90
17. Ksenia Makarova RUS 55.38
18. Jenna McCorkell GBR 53.68
19. Liu Yan CHN 53.34
20. Ivana Reitmayerová SVK 52.98
21. Tuğba Karademir TUR 50.28
22. Sarah Hecken GER 48.14
23. Tamar Katz ISR 47.15
24. Kwak Min-Jung KOR 46.97

25. Sonia Lafuente ESP 46.36
26. Anna Jurkiewicz POL * 45.60
27. Miriam Ziegler AUT 45.34
28. Teodora Poštič SLO 43.28
29. Bettina Heim SUI 40.34
30. Isabelle Pieman BEL 38.48

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Na-Young Kim isn't going. Min-Jung Kwak won Nationals so she gets to go. And I read at the Yu-Na Kim fan forum.

pokky_oc

On the Ice
Oh right. Thanks! I'll just edit that!
Wait are you sure? I know that she is the junior champion of Korea but would she? I'll edit it once I get the results for this season's South Korean Championships.

Last edited:

pokky_oc

On the Ice
By the way, the youngest girl here is Miriam Ziegler from Austria! She is only 15 years-old and turned 15 last March! It will be an amazing experience for her, an Olympian at 15!! :love::love::laugh::laugh::laugh::rock:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yike, only one tirple?? Is she injure herself or what?? So far this season has been disaster for her. She is a headcase, but for 2 times world medalist to land one tirple, that's just bad. Can she recover in time for the Olympics, even if she send to it?

Laura Lepisto WON the Finnish nationals with one triple in the FS :laugh: ,she was second in the FS but still....her score was 167, don't know how that happened.

Also I thought Sarah Hecken was definitely going to the Olympics, at SA the announcers said that she was, she had to score a 128 and she scored 131 so she's going.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Hecken is definetly going.. Dytrt didnt even compete at German nationals..

Switzerland will most likely wont use the second spot either.