Competitive vs Recreational | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Competitive vs Recreational

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
Sometime in the future I may actually have to end up joining a club, after how the public skate was last night. The rink I go to is the only one in a 50mi radius... and public sessions are pretty much overrun by speeding hockey players and the employees do nothing about it. Only way I can get into Freestyle sessions is if I pass "Basic 4". Any idea of where to look up what skills are at each level? As in, what level I am at and what I need to do to pass this Level 4. I'm guessing that joining a club is the only way to advance through the levels :unsure:
My rink's only requirement for freestyle is "able to do back crossovers" OR working with a coach (if you can't). There have been kids working with a coach that can't skate backwards that end up staying on the session...we just look out for them because we are a bit less "killer" than other rinks, more recreational. Keep working on your skills so you can hop onto the freestyle sessions-its worth it!

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
My rink runs in two sessions... one for beginners (no tests need to be completed), but you are only allowed to do skating skills, spins, and single jumps. The second rink is freestyle for those who have passed the Novice test and above, but there is a loop hole. You can skate for one of the rink's official coaches, and if they say your skating seems to be the appropriate level. Otherwise, too many people would be held back from practicing certain elements while waiting for testing.... they don't advertise this little back way, you just need to ask and have health insurance. You never know what rinks might have similar policies...