Fernández Makes Senior Grand Prix Debut | Golden Skate

Fernández Makes Senior Grand Prix Debut

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When Spain's Javier Fernández placed 19th at the 2009 World Figure Skating Championships, he became the first male skater from that country to qualify for the Winter Olympic Games since 1956.
More

nylynnr

On the Ice
I've seen him land quads in his practices in Hackensack. (Of course, I'm not a technical controller.)

How great! I'll have to tell my work buddy, who's from Spain. She's a big tennis fan, but I'm sure she'll be willing to widen her horizons! On general principles, I'm always happy when another country is added to the roster. (Go, Tugba!) I hope they show Fernandez on TV.

Hikaru

Final Flight
I am so happy for him. For me, being a figure skating fan, being panamanian and spaniard at the same time, I know what it's like to love a sport that is not popular at all in your home country. He is breaking barriers indeed, and he is doing so well, I wouldn't be surprise to see him in a top 10 soon. Keep it up Javi!!

Medusa

Record Breaker
He is breaking barriers indeed, and he is doing so well, I wouldn't be surprise to see him in a top 10 soon. Keep it up Javi!!
I think he could at least medal at Europeans in the near future, maybe even at Worlds. He is only 18, already had a solid Triple Axel last season... What worries me a bit are his skating skills, those are simply not up to par with the usual standard, especially among the crop of the 16 to 20-year-olds who will rule the next Olympic cycle. But he has good musicality and might develop good presentation skills.

leruiz

Rinkside
I am so happy for him. For me, being a figure skating fan, being panamanian and spaniard at the same time, I know what it's like to love a sport that is not popular at all in your home country. He is breaking barriers indeed, and he is doing so well, I wouldn't be surprise to see him in a top 10 soon. Keep it up Javi!!

I'm really happy for him too and it's a great accomplishment to be have been able to qualify for Spain in over 50 years. He really has improved over the past 2 years and hopefully he will continue on that upward spiral

miss.coiza

Rinkside
Whoo! That`s great for him!
He is really good, Spain should be proud..
I am gonna be the first woman ever in Portugal to represent Portugal in the next Winter Games :rofl: