Thread: Mao asada pairs?

Mao asada pairs?

Would she be able to do it,or is it too difficult,and would it suit her better than single?
    I wonder what anyone thinks,personally i don't think it will ever happen,but it's fun to imagine if she would ever do it and can.
    Last edited by ordinary person; 09-29-2009 at 05:18 PM.

Custom Title
    If you're asking whether Asada would also have talent as a pairs skater, I'd agree with you that it would be interesting to see. Two other equally charming, musical skaters, Naomi Nari Nam and Yuka Sato, have done wonderful work in "second careers" as pairs skaters--Nam as an eligible skater, Sato as a professional. I'm sure Asada could do the same. She'd bring an added asset to the pair: up till now, no male pairs skater could do a triple axel and expect his partner to mirror him. Mao Asada's partner wouldn't have such a limitation!

Additionally, many singles skaters have skated with a partner for a one-time-only performance. One memorable pairing from the past (available on YouTube), from the late seventies or early eighties, is a duet featuring John Curry and Peggy Fleming. Another is a lovely exhibition by Paul Wylie and Nancy Kerrigan for (I think) the 1992 Olympics, to music from Miss Saigon. I'm sure the rest of you can think of others.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Mao could do anything, but I think she is better suited to singles skating. The guys who pair skate could not keep up with her jump-wise. Except Sergei Gringov. He could.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    The guys who pair skate could not keep up with her jump-wise. Except Sergei Gringov. He could.
    Oleg Vasiliev too. He was a very successful singles skater, winning the Russian Junior National title at some point. I think he and his partner did even the harder Triples at the beginning of their pairs career in competition.