The most exquisite performance of the past 2 years. | Golden Skate

The most exquisite performance of the past 2 years.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOGsLuzdtug

And if the judges actually understood how to judge, it would have received the highest score for transitions of all time. EVERY jumping pass is preceded by footwork, or at least some kind of movement, and the elements all flow together wonderfully. Look at how he starts the straight line footwork immediately after landing a Triple Loop. And that back sit-spin off the landing of the Triple Salchow.

If you compare this to any program before CoP came out, it holds up beautifully. Wonderful skating is still possible, CoP just demands perfection and stamina more than ever.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOGsLuzdtug

And if the judges actually understood how to judge, it would have received the highest score for transitions of all time. EVERY jumping pass is preceded by footwork, or at least some kind of movement, and the elements all flow together wonderfully. Look at how he starts the straight line footwork immediately after landing a Triple Loop. And that back sit-spin off the landing of the Triple Salchow.

If you compare this to any program before CoP came out, it holds up beautifully. Wonderful skating is still possible, CoP just demands perfection and stamina more than ever.
I loved Abbott's LP last season. Seeing him skate it so well at CoC was one of the highlights of the season for me, and it was marvelous at the GPF, too.

Here is where I've got a problem with what you wrote. The title of this thread is "the most exquisite performance of the past two years", but the post itself is mostly concerned with the transitions in Abbott's program. Is that all there is to it? I don't think so.

I'm sick and tired of hearing and reading about transitions. There's no denying that in the past they weren't rewarded enough, but more recently, it's gotten to the point where it's all everyone talks about. Skating is not just about transitions. I don't enjoy watching Jeremy skate just because he has lots of linking footwork and difficult jump entries. Skating is more than the sum of its parts, and transitions are just that: a part. One component. A means towards the end, with the ideal end being a challenging program that is also coherent, meaningful, and aesthetic. Transitions for their own sake are not interesting (and are sometimes not visually appealing, either); they must serve the program as a whole. Jeremy's LP worked because that's what happened - as you note at the end, the elements flowed together, but it was more than that; it was a complete performance by a musical, graceful, technically accomplished skater.

/Rant over.

I don't think I'd rank it as the most exquisite performance of the past two years, or even the past season. But I greatly enjoyed it and look forward to seeing more from Jeremy.

Sorry for the threadjack, and on the second post, no less. I'll let everyone get back to the regularly scheduled discussion ;).

Last edited:

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
As good as this performance was, I would personnaly say that Stéphane Lambiel's 08 Euros LP performance (despite the mistakes) was the most exquisite one of the last 2 years.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I thought the title of the thread suggested we'd give our examples of most exquisite programs :eek:

As to Jeremy's skating, yes, there's plenty of talent there. He's got exceptionally nice skating skills, imo. And his last season's programs were very well choreographed. This season, I don't know what to expect.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I thought the title of the thread suggested we'd give our examples of most exquisite programs :eek:
I like your idea :agree:. I think we can discuss Abbott's LP and give our own examples, but I'm too tired to think of any right now. But I'm hoping people might come up with good performances that I'd somehow overlooked.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Entire post
:bow::bow::bow:

Really, all this transitions talk bugs me to no end. I have the feeling that it became the number one catchphrase when it comes to justifying results, to pointing out why every skater who uses Wilson / Nichol is superior to the other skaters. And yes, sometimes even the transitions can be overdone, skaters tend to look as if they are searching for a needle on the ice, some don't have 10 seconds of simple stroking in their programs because you can always twist your body somehow, or make a turn here, one there - it often doesn't fit the music anymore.

What I love about Jeremy is his outstanding musicality, the interesting program structure here, the way he uses jumps to accentuate the music.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I did love that program. Perfect music for him, fimiliar, yet not ever done. He really interpreted it well.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Here is where I've got a problem with what you wrote. The title of this thread is "the most exquisite performance of the past two years", but the post itself is mostly concerned with the transitions in Abbott's program. Is that all there is to it? I don't think so.

I'm sick and tired of hearing and reading about transitions. There's no denying that in the past they weren't rewarded enough, but more recently, it's gotten to the point where it's all everyone talks about. Skating is not just about transitions. I don't enjoy watching Jeremy skate just because he has lots of linking footwork and difficult jump entries. Skating is more than the sum of its parts, and transitions are just that: a part. One component. A means towards the end, with the ideal end being a challenging program that is also coherent, meaningful, and aesthetic. Transitions for their own sake are not interesting (and are sometimes not visually appealing, either); they must serve the program as a whole.

Oh, I completely agree.

The fact that Jeremy has so many transitions in the program simply makes it more difficult. However, those movements all working with the music is what makes it exquisite.

BTW, which LP's from last year did you like more?

I would definitely also put Lambiel's LP from 2008 way up there, although I don't think he ever performed it quite as well during the 2008 season as he did at the 2007 Worlds.

I would say Abbott's program certainly has to be considered the most INTRICATE of the past years, though.

shine

Record Breaker
How about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gawO...D283092AB&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=7
And I'll add this as an honorable mention:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo-r3t_T0HY
Together with the program in the original post, these three are definitely my favourite 3 from the past 2 years. I actually loved this one more than 2007 worlds. I felt I had never seen someone turn the ice into his own dance floor the way he did here. I would definitely have it as THE most exquisite performance on my list if it wasn't for the jump mistakes.
With Lambiel's comeback and Abbott's blossoming into an absolutely extraordinary skater and artist, I'm going to be in one heck of a skating heaven this year :love: wheeee!

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
BTW, which LP's from last year did you like more?
Do I have to limit myself to the men? I wasn't too crazy about much of what I saw from the guys last year. Programs that I enjoyed, not necessarily because they were the most difficult, were Jeremy's, Yannick Ponsero's LP at Euros, and Denis Ten's at Worlds. I liked Tomas Verner's SP. Kristoffer Berntsson's programs had potential but he didn't have a good year, and there were some good skates at Junior Worlds.

In other disciplines, I loved M/T's SP, and the Zhangs had an excellent one as well. I liked the LPs from Ingo Steuer's teams, V/M's actually more than Aliona and Robin's. In the ladies, I didn't like much but Yu-Na's LP was great. In dance, I really enjoyed the FDs from P/B and the Kerrs.

I would say Abbott's program certainly has to be considered the most INTRICATE of the past years, though.
It's certainly right up there among the men's programs. :agree:

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
I did just mean singles, also. That is where my experience is at and what I feel I can judge perfectly. Ice dance is fun to watch but I don't know the specifics as well. Ditto for pairs...except that it barely even seems fun to watch anymore. :indiff:

Wicked

Final Flight
If we're not limiting ourselves to the men, Yu-Na's performance of her SP at 2009 Worlds ranks right up there.

Danale

On the Ice
As good as this performance was, I would personnaly say that Stéphane Lambiel's 08 Euros LP performance (despite the mistakes) was the most exquisite one of the last 2 years.

Oh yeah! :thumbsup:
I LOVE this program. This one gave me the chills.
OK, no 3A and a couple of other mistakes. But - the sharpness, the artistry, the spins, the step sequences - it was all there! I really hope he brings it on this season.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Just re-watched Lambiel's 08 Euros LP (haven't seen that in a long while) and despite the missing 3A, despite the jump mistakes, I have to concur with those who regard it so highly--the expression, the footwork, the spins, my god, it was brilliant, and just worked as a cohesive whole.

If Lambiel was able to skate that Poeta LP cleanly, I'd probably rank it as THE greatest performance ever without blinking. OK, skategods, that's my wish: Lambiel winning the Olympics with a clean performance of Poeta.*

*Yeah, I know this is as likely as my other favourite Shawn Sawyer winning Olympic gold, but...!