Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dick Button discusses brain injury on CNN

Custom Title

Dick Button discusses brain injury on CNN

Dick Button was on CNN's Biofeedback today. Here is a link to the story of his recovery from his head injury:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/10/17...ton/index.html

Custom Woman
    Wow, I had no idea Dick's head injury was so serious. Good for him for speaking out about his situation. Having seen people try to rehab from brain injuries, I know how tough and frustrating it is. Now I feel bad I ever complained about Dick being cranky with me when I asked for his autograph. He's made an amazing recovery, but then that's the mark of a champion: Never give up, never give up, never give up! Thanks for the link, Pairsfan.
    Rgirl

Custom Title
    That explains a lot. Just hearing about his accident then the length of time it took him to come back to work scared me. Then after his accident, Dick's commentating didn't seem like it was up to par. He sounded more scripted and I remember people talking about how Dick and Peggy were reading comments during the competitions. That would explain a lot.

During Michelle's skates at 2003 Worlds he sounded more spontaneous, like his old self again. I'm glad to hear he's feeling better although I do wonder how much he's not saying about other difficulties from the injury.

Gee. I remember we were asking where is he? So that was it. Nice to know it turned out well but what a horror to go through.

rGirl - There is a theory that Alzheimer's starts with a severe blow to the head sometime in the person's past. Ugh! I got hit in the head with a baseball when I was a kid - knocked me out - and woke up in hospital - short coma. I feel for Dick.

Joe

Skating Soprano
    First-I doubt that you can learn a triple with out ever having fallen.

Second-This explains the flub up with "a hint of a double toe there...a double toe loop....a double footed double toe loop..." when Sasha was perfectly clean on the combo (I forget what the combo was...didnt have a 2toe tho) at the 2002 Nats.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Wow, I met him in 2002 at Euros and he seem perfectly normal. You never would have guessed that his injury was so serious. Good for him.

"This explains the flub up with "a hint of a double toe there...a double toe loop....a double footed double toe loop..." when Sasha was perfectly clean on the combo (I forget what the combo was...didnt have a 2toe tho) at the 2002 Nats."

I'm sorry, but I find this to be a really low cheap shot. So tacky.

I agree, cheap shot to hit a guy when he's down.

Joe

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Thanks for posting this pairsfan ... I didn't realize just how serious his injury was. I'm so happy he has recovered this well ... and glad he's sharing his experience with others.

I took it that he meant he hadn't fallen since he competed or some such thing. Of course, he surely would have fallen when he started.

Custom Title
    Dick's interview will reair on the CNN Headline News network at 5 and 9pm ET tonight.

Thanks Pairsfan, I just hope I don't forget it.

Wow 0 it sounds like the fall was extremely serious. I'm also glad his family protected his privacy during his ordeal. Good for him in speaking out, too, now.

I'm sure he fell while learning to skate, but he didn't neccessarily hit his head everytime, too. Most skaters seem to learn how to take a fall and it's usually not on the head - unless it's pair.

Remember the skater who took a fall when practicing an overhead lift with his partner. I'm think Paul Binnebose - I think his partner was Laura Handy. I think they had to induce a coma to reduce the brain swelling - not sure if he suffered a stroke as well. I remember she waited through his recovery before looking for another partner.

Also, Katia and Sergei's romance started after she suffered a concussion during practice. I guess it made Sergei realize his feelings for her and we're all grateful that it wasn't more serious.

Re: Dick Button discusses brain injury on CNN

Thanks for the link, Pairsfan. Add me to those who didn't realize how serious his injury was. To tell the truth, I had forgotten all about it. Kudos to Mr. Button for speaking up.

Skating Soprano
    actually...I didnt mean it that way.

Ive always liked Dick...more now actually...

Custom Woman
    Originally posted by Joesitz
    rGirl - There is a theory that Alzheimer's starts with a severe blow to the head sometime in the person's past. Ugh! I got hit in the head with a baseball when I was a kid - knocked me out - and woke up in hospital - short coma. I feel for Dick.
    Joe,
    Yeeouch! Your parents must have been terrified. I hope for the sake of everyone who's ever had a severe blow to the head that the theory that it leads to Alzheimer's is only that, a theory. There is so much medical scientists don't know about brain diseases and injuries. Dick's recovery is remarkable and my guess is that his excellent overall physical condition for his age contributed to it. Next time Dick sings, instead of thinking, "Oh, no," I'll be saying, "Sing it, Dick!" to the TV
    Rgirl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast