Dick Button discusses brain injury on CNN | Golden Skate

Dick Button discusses brain injury on CNN

Wow, I had no idea Dick's head injury was so serious. Good for him for speaking out about his situation. Having seen people try to rehab from brain injuries, I know how tough and frustrating it is. Now I feel bad I ever complained about Dick being cranky with me when I asked for his autograph. He's made an amazing recovery, but then that's the mark of a champion: Never give up, never give up, never give up! Thanks for the link, Pairsfan.
Rgirl

mpal2

Final Flight
That explains a lot. Just hearing about his accident then the length of time it took him to come back to work scared me. Then after his accident, Dick's commentating didn't seem like it was up to par. He sounded more scripted and I remember people talking about how Dick and Peggy were reading comments during the competitions. That would explain a lot.

During Michelle's skates at 2003 Worlds he sounded more spontaneous, like his old self again. I'm glad to hear he's feeling better although I do wonder how much he's not saying about other difficulties from the injury.

Gee. I remember we were asking where is he? So that was it. Nice to know it turned out well but what a horror to go through.

rGirl - There is a theory that Alzheimer's starts with a severe blow to the head sometime in the person's past. Ugh! I got hit in the head with a baseball when I was a kid - knocked me out - and woke up in hospital - short coma. I feel for Dick.

Joe

skatepixie

On the Ice
First-I doubt that you can learn a triple with out ever having fallen.

Second-This explains the flub up with "a hint of a double toe there...a double toe loop....a double footed double toe loop..." when Sasha was perfectly clean on the combo (I forget what the combo was...didnt have a 2toe tho) at the 2002 Nats.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Wow, I met him in 2002 at Euros and he seem perfectly normal. You never would have guessed that his injury was so serious. Good for him.

"This explains the flub up with "a hint of a double toe there...a double toe loop....a double footed double toe loop..." when Sasha was perfectly clean on the combo (I forget what the combo was...didnt have a 2toe tho) at the 2002 Nats."

I'm sorry, but I find this to be a really low cheap shot. So tacky. :mad:

nymkfan51

Medalist
Thanks for posting this pairsfan ... I didn't realize just how serious his injury was. I'm so happy he has recovered this well ... and glad he's sharing his experience with others.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I took it that he meant he hadn't fallen since he competed or some such thing. Of course, he surely would have fallen when he started.

heyang

Record Breaker
Wow 0 it sounds like the fall was extremely serious. I'm also glad his family protected his privacy during his ordeal. Good for him in speaking out, too, now.

I'm sure he fell while learning to skate, but he didn't neccessarily hit his head everytime, too. Most skaters seem to learn how to take a fall and it's usually not on the head - unless it's pair.

Remember the skater who took a fall when practicing an overhead lift with his partner. I'm think Paul Binnebose - I think his partner was Laura Handy. I think they had to induce a coma to reduce the brain swelling - not sure if he suffered a stroke as well. I remember she waited through his recovery before looking for another partner.

Also, Katia and Sergei's romance started after she suffered a concussion during practice. I guess it made Sergei realize his feelings for her and we're all grateful that it wasn't more serious.

windspirit

On the Ice
Thanks for the link, Pairsfan. Add me to those who didn't realize how serious his injury was. To tell the truth, I had forgotten all about it. Kudos to Mr. Button for speaking up.

Joesitz said:
rGirl - There is a theory that Alzheimer's starts with a severe blow to the head sometime in the person's past. Ugh! I got hit in the head with a baseball when I was a kid - knocked me out - and woke up in hospital - short coma. I feel for Dick.
Joe,
Yeeouch! Your parents must have been terrified. I hope for the sake of everyone who's ever had a severe blow to the head that the theory that it leads to Alzheimer's is only that, a theory. There is so much medical scientists don't know about brain diseases and injuries. Dick's recovery is remarkable and my guess is that his excellent overall physical condition for his age contributed to it. Next time Dick sings, instead of thinking, "Oh, no," I'll be saying, "Sing it, Dick!" to the TV:)
Rgirl

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
I work near a center that deals with massive brain trauma rehabilitation and I've seen how what should seem like a "small" injury can have some lasting and life altering consequences. I have always admired Dick's knowledge and his ability to communicate, and when I heard of his fall and injury and knew what it might mean for him, my heart broke. Now, I give him a lot of latitude when I listen to what he says and think it's incredible that he has come back so far. I love that he has retained his sense of humor through it all.

Nan

fanforlady2001

Rinkside
I like him more now(skatepixie) why lately? Dick has always been a nice guy, he knows good skating and usually when he points negative things out, he is right, yea sometimes he talks too much, I am not saying dick has never been wrong.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
TBI/Dick Button

Thank you, Dick Button, for sharing your story with all of us.

Some of you crack me up with the "more latitude" for what Dick says, etc. A "small" injury? A brain injury is NEVER small. While some may not be as affected as others, there is always a change whether major or minor. Depending on what part of the brain is affected, people who have suffered TBIs can have memory problems, speech problems, executive functioning problems, be paralyzed, or, at worst, die or be in a persistent vegetative state for the rest of their lives.

A brain injury changes a person forever. While the person who has "survived" a brain injury may seem back to their old self, they truly aren't. That part of the brain that was damaged does not heal. However the brain is a magnificent thing. We only use 25 percent of our entire brain so, with rehabilitation and hard work, a TBI survivor can form new pathways and gain back so much.

Dick Button will be an excellent spokesperson for the BIA (Brain Injury Association). I told my daughter about this and she was pleased that someone associated with figure skating would be doing this even though she was saddened that he has an injury like hers.

Believe me, you have no idea how this alters not only the TBI survivor's life, but that of those who love them so much. Dick, nor my daughter, can put it into words the fear, the hard work, the pain, and the grief that you have to walk through. Even I, as her mother, cannot begin to fathom how she must feel to have woken up from her coma and have to relearn everything all over again. I thank God there are people like Dick who are willing to share their experience because then my daughter knows she isn't alone.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Realistic,

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. Continued best wishes for your daughter.

tharrtell