Battle of the Blades on CBC | Golden Skate

Battle of the Blades on CBC

:rock: I liked Isabelle Brasseur the best, and Barbara Underhill. :clap:

The guys were pretty awesome, too. :cool:

One thing about this show, unlike skating shows in the U.S., this was heavily advertised on CBC over an extended period. I hope they got big ratings.

i love to skate

Medalist
Isabelle is my absolute favorite! She is so cute and tiny and was one of my idols growing up. I'm sure this show got big ratings; it has been all over the news and Hockey Night In Canada, and they have been doing a good job of promoting it on websites such as Facebook. The lines were busy tonight so I think that is a good sign!

ks777

Record Breaker
I am watching it right on, I am on the west coast and live in the seattle area. I am not too impressed yet. I mean they are hockey players. they should be able to do much more than that, I want to see a double axel or a single axel.

i love to skate

Medalist
I am watching it right on, I am on the west coast and live in the seattle area. I am not too impressed yet. I mean they are hockey players. they should be able to do much more than that, I want to see a double axel or a single axel.

Are you serious?? Most of the guys have been retired for many years and are at least in their 40s. No way they are just going to be able to bust out a double axel!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am on the West Coast - Vancouver area and I am just watching the show right now. I think it is great! I am enjoying watching the hockey players skate. The ladies of course are just terrific and could make anyone look good. Guess who is one of the judges - Dick Button!

It's going to be difficult for me to decide who to vote for. I really enjoyed Shae-Lynn Bourne and Claude Lemieux and also Jamie Sale and Craig Simpson. All the routines are very entertaining and great music.

This show is going to be fun to watch. :clap::clap:

Here is a link to the CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/

Are you serious?? Most of the guys have been retired for many years and are at least in their 40s. No way they are just going to be able to bust out a double axel!

That's for sure. Most of these guys are used to hitting 200 lb guys out of their way while chasing the puck across the ice not picking up featherweight ladies and tossing them around!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Dick and Sandy being judges would be a turn off for me...

Kurt makes up for it, though.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Dick and Sandy being judges would be a turn off for me...

Kurt makes up for it, though.

Actually Sandra is doing a pretty good job - she is a little more relaxed in this gig. Dick is his usual serious self - I guess he is too old to realize this "competition" is just a send up of So You Think You Can Dance on Skates. The hockey players are taking his comments with grace. It's all pure entertainment. The hockey players are doing better than I expected and are really good sports.

antmanb

Record Breaker

You do know that "The Cutting Edge" was a made up film and not a documentary don't you ;)

Ant

ks777

Record Breaker
You do know that "The Cutting Edge" was a made up film and not a documentary don't you ;)

Ant

Oh, that's why. I was expecting too much. I really thought they were gonna do at least side by side a single jump.

i love to skate

Medalist
Apparently the show was a hit with NHL players and was a topic of conversation in the dressing rooms today! A few players even want to partipate in the show and it sounds like some TML players are attending the tapings. 1.95 million people viewed the show which is really good - around 3 or 4 million watch the Stanley Cup finals so this is great! :clap: It sounds like many people are just undestanding how difficult figure skating is! Hopefully we get more than one season of this show.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jFwqGfUg5hGqqINJXZuKvXtpZTeA

Ladskater

Record Breaker
That would be great or how about some figure skaters like Kurt, David, and Elvis in a hockey match? Some of the Canadian guys started out in hockey before discovering figure skating!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Charlie White used to play hockey! His high school team won the state championship. However, he injured himself his last year and D&W lost a whole season because of it. I hope none of my favorite skaters will play hockey and do likewise.

76olympics

On the Ice
Even Scott Hamilton played hockey for a minute!

I saw a few clips on YouTube- I hope they will continue to post them. I live FAR SOUTH of the border in the garden of good and evil, so there is no hope that my television would pick up Canadian stations.

That was so cool that Barb Underhill did a death spiral in hockey skates- and it was a really good death spiral! I think she spoils me for all other death spirals, to be honest. I liked seeing Tuffy again- it was fun. Dick was a rusty hoot!

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Tonight's show was great!! All of the programs were entertaining - Frank Sinatra tunes. The Hockey players have really stepped up their game. Most of them are now wearing figure skates. It's tough choosing which team to vote for. I think I will go with Shae-Lynn and her partner this time.

i love to skate

Medalist
On the results show this week they had the National Pre-Novice dance champions on and they were adorable. Next week's guest.....Yu Na KIm :clap: Patrick Chan and Jeff Buttle were also in the audience this week as well as many NHL players. This show has become quite the hit!

Last edited:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
On the results show this week they had the National Pre-Novice dance champions on and they were adorable. Next week's guest.....Yu Na KIm :clap: Patrick Chan and Jeff Buttle were also in the audience this week as well as many NHL players. This show has become quite the hit!

Yes, it's much better than any of the dance shows. I am really enjoying it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's good to see Kurt's show making it - and talk of it coming to the states! - and being really successful... wish Scott's Skating with teh Stars had worked out. If he'd done something similar to Kurt's style I think it'd have been a bigger hit.

not sure the American Hockey Skaters would have done it, though.

Kissx3

Final Flight
It'll definitely get another season. Other than sports programming, this and Dragon's Den are CBC's only big hits.

Top 30 programs for each week by viewership (in millions):

Sept 28 - Oct 4

9.) Hokey Night in Canada: 2.508
16.) Battle of the Blades: 1.959
19.) HNIC: 1.740
20.) HNIC Pre-Game: 1.708
29.) HNIC: 1.371

Oct 5 - Oct 11

16.) HNIC: 1.686
19.) BotB: 1.562
22.) Dragon's Den: 1.479

Oct 12 - Oct 18