***SOE
x**UPE
---------
***NTRE
*OOAO
NSHU
----------
NRRNPE

This is a multiplication problem where each letter represents a different number. The only thing I can figure out is that E is 1. Please help.* =blank space.

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
I'm just starting to work on this, but in my opinion E does NOT = 1. If it were 1, then the whole first line would be SOE.

It has to be either 5 or 6 because if it were multiplied by itself, it would end in the same number (e.g. 5x5=25, so you write the 5 in the e spot and then carry the 2).

I'm not a mathematician, but I'll think more and try to get back to you.

dewet

Final Flight
Where I got it, it said this:

When the letters are arranged in the order of the numbers they represent, a special phrase is spelled out, which makes a keen observation about the art of problem solving.

It spells "nosurepat" when arranged according to MM, but what does "nosurepat" mean?

If H = 0 goes at the end, it's "No sure path." I think it means something like, for puzzles like this there is no computational algorithm that will give you the answer, so you have to relay on your intuition, make guesses, and be prepared to backtrack.

Cinderella's observation was the key. E must be 5 or 6, and it can't be 5 because of U*E=U. Now work on the OOAO row.

Mathman:)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
What I want to know is whether this was a school problem you were supposed to solve as a homework assignment! :D :laugh:

Sadie

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
What I want to know is whether this was a school problem you were supposed to solve as a homework assignment! :D :laugh:

exactly what I was thinking:D ;) :)

Last edited: