Shizuka's Change | Golden Skate

Shizuka's Change

christinaskater

Medalist
I've been watching a lot of the new videos of Shizuka and her face has somewhat changed. She still looks really beautiful.:agree::agree::agree:

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
I've seen a few videos recently and I know what you mean.

I thought she was beautiful and more natural looking the way she was before. She didn't need to change a thing.

But I like Shizuka alot. She's one of my favorites :love:

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
I wasn't going to respond to this thread because I didn't think I should draw more attention to it than it deserves, but, now that it's gotten a response, I'm going to go ahead and dispel this gossip.

If you've been watching the skating videos closely, you would have also noticed that she's lost a TON of weight. This, when combined with the more edgy makeup she's been wearing at shows, accounts for her so-called change. If you watch the TV shows she's been on (i.e. non-skating TV shows) where she's not wearing so much makeup (or, rather, where she's wearing more natural makeup), you'll notice that she hasn't changed all that much.

christinaskater

Medalist
That's great! I love her and her skating!

I think she lost a lot of weight and really blossomed to a really sophisticated and beautiful woman!

Medusa

Record Breaker
If you watch the TV shows she's been on (i.e. non-skating TV shows) where she's not wearing so much makeup (or, rather, where she's wearing more natural makeup), you'll notice that she hasn't changed all that much.
Honestly - I was shocked in one interview, where she, in my opinion, looked really bad. Her chin and her cheekbones were sticking out, shadows under her eyes, her arms thin as sticks... I hope she is alright (it was after the swine flu incident, so it's possible that she looked that bad because of it).

Bennett

Record Breaker
It looks like shizuka lost weight and has better makeup and hairdo lately. Also you just change as you age. But other than that, she looks the same.

Jasper

Final Flight
I wasn't going to respond to this thread because I didn't think I should draw more attention to it than it deserves, but, now that it's gotten a response, I'm going to go ahead and dispel this gossip.

If you've been watching the skating videos closely, you would have also noticed that she's lost a TON of weight. This, when combined with the more edgy makeup she's been wearing at shows, accounts for her so-called change. If you watch the TV shows she's been on (i.e. non-skating TV shows) where she's not wearing so much makeup (or, rather, where she's wearing more natural makeup), you'll notice that she hasn't changed all that much.

Yes, I agree with this 100%. I was shocked when I watched Arakawa's exhibition performance from the Japan Open. I think she looks beautiful, and her face is definitely very striking with its new thinness (paired with some makeup and a longer, more dramatic hairstyle)... but overall she seems to be TOO thin. You could see her collar bones popping out more than a healthy amount. She has definitely lost a lot of weight since she won the Olympics in 2006. But yeah, those cheek bones are amazing.

Having said that, I think we should also acknowledge how she has blossomed as a skater and a person. She came on so strong to win the Worlds in 2004 with such incredible technical merit. But her performances after that for about a season and a half were consistently horrible. She lost all her confidence and looked meek, slow, and unsure of herself on the ice. Then came Torino and she was full of lightness and confidence again, much more than Cohen or Slutskaya. And you can see in her performances at the pro level that the confidence has carried over. She is truly an angel on the ice. She knows how to jump, skate, and PERFORM. And apparently she works as an orchestral conductor as well? Amazing! She is a Renaissance woman.

prettykeys

Medalist
Can someone post a link to a picture? I would like to see what she looks like now. I always thought she was lovely before.

Mikoto

Rinkside
Whenever I read her journals on her homepage, I wonder how she keeps such a perfect shape.

Trewyn

Medalist
I saw her Sunday in Paris (I think she was there doing commentary); I took pictures; I'll upload them later. She looked amazing; pretty and radiant!