Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cohen out of TEB

I hope that this is early enough for someone else to take her spot.

Custom Title
    Just read about this over on icenetwork (btw I'm glad I renewed my subscription).

Regards Sasha, this is not surprising, as she has had to limit training this past June because of tendonitis, so it goes again.

To tell the truth I wish Sasha would just skip the GP all together......rest her injury properly & come back better than ever (ala Michelle Kwan in 1997/98).......she already has a bye to Nationals as the reigning Olympic Silver Medalist, she doesn't have to worry about earning one, she already has.

BUT, having been away from competitive ice for a very long time, she needs to get herself out there. She needs perhaps to take the risk. I'm wondering if she's planning on following Evgeni's example?, that is only competing in one GP event, in his home country no less. However, Sasha is no Evgeni, he's a King when it comes to skating, a dynamo, a powerhouse, a take-no-prisoners competitor, a tiger, and the list goes on & on & on (I've ran out of superlatives lol). He can afford to do only one competition, she cannot IMHO.

It's due or die time, Sasha, I don't know what to think if you don't show up for Skate America. You are going to have to get yourself out there sometime, that is if you're serious about making a comeback? Forget what everybody else thinks, you need to at least try. So if you finish last at Skate America, that means you didn't do your homework (as Rachael Flatt refers to skating; i.e. if you studied hard, you're *pumped* when it comes time to take the test because you know all the answers, you're ready to rock!), but if you didn't you have nobody else to blame but yourself. Don't be a chicken, you knew when TEB was scheduled, you should've been ready, and that goes for ALL the competitors.

Down With It
    Well, the field at SA is not nearly as tough as TEB. The only real competition there is Yuna Kim.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Maybe we can send Michelle in Sasha's place...

I am all for it! Sending Michelle some esp messges to reconsider retirement.......

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Well, the field at SA is not nearly as tough as TEB. The only real competition there is Yuna Kim.
    I think, though, that it's not the competitive field that Sasha has to worry about so much as the objective standards of the CoP. I don't think she would want to lay down a 160 point combined performance no matter who was ahead of her or behind her.

Custom Title
    You know I'm p.o.ed right now, which is unusual for me, but I was pumped for Sasha Cohen's return to the ice. Then to see her caving in & proving her many detractors right is disappointing to say the least, upsetting.

Ah, I'm really just upset with the whole entire USFSA, at this point I don't really care except for Rachael Flatt, she's the only glimmer of hope. Geeze, to see the United States U.S. Women's Singles Skaters come to this. None of our women do triple axels, only an occasional 3/3 combo., much less 7 triples. The only highlight came at the 2008 U.S. Nationals. It still gives me chills, what promise, what hope. I was expecting such great things after seeing Mirai, Rachael, and Ashley complete perfect program after perfect program, complete with 3/3s & 7 triples!!!! Now this. Ugh.

At this point I say send the one that won U.S. Nationals last year (sorry, I honestly forgot her name). She's got a pretty face & skates pretty. Yeah, she doesn't have the jumps, but she can make up with it with her spins & spirals. And of course I want Rachael on the team. Between the both of them they can, hopefully, make the top 10. In the meantime I'm going to be searching for an up&comer from the juniors/novice/whatever who can at least do a 3/3 or a triple axel. I'll put all my hope on one of them. Seriously, I think I read that a novice skater actually landed a triple axel this summer in some obscure competition. Maybe she'll be America's answer to the phenoms from overseas.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post

I am all for it! Sending Michelle some esp messges to reconsider retirement.......

Get down on earth. Michelle is done in competitive skating. You would hang on to her until she is 50y old! Geez...

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Get down on earth. Michelle is done in competitive skating. You would hang on to her until she is 50y old! Geez...
    Last edited by R.D.; 10-09-2009 at 11:16 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post

And as far Sasha's comeback, I thought something like this would happen. never really was a believer either.

US has to rely on this new generation in women's skating. They keep sweeping the junior ladies podium for years, they should do similarly well, when they mature, but for some reason, they fail to do so, these days.

Lambiel is the best!!
    It certainly is a depressing news, but I'm confused.

Sasha kept skating in shows this summer.
    As recently as several days ago, I saw a TV ad on some skating exhibition featuring her and couple more famous names (I forget who) that will be held in Anaheim, CA.

My immediate thought was 'shouldn't she be training in one location rather than traveling for shows this close to the beginning of the season'??
    I was quite puzzled, and even more puzzling is this news of "injury."

I wish her a quick and full recovery, but if she's not 100% committed to making this come back, then maybe she shouldn't bother.

Skater Girl
    Lake Arrowhead to Anaheim isn't a big deal.

I think it's all hooey. I saw her skate in Improv Ice, she didn't seem injured at all. She never ever mentioned this except over the summer, going on about training hard, feeling better, etc. I think she is unprepared.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Maybe we can send Michelle in Sasha's place...
    LOL, I didnt see this option coming, I chocked in morning coffee!

Custom Title
    No surprise at all, but I'm still disappointed that we won't see her.

Same old Sasha

I'm trying to just not care anymore.

Surpirse, surprise.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast