Cohen out of TEB | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cohen out of TEB

Nadine

Record Breaker
You know I'm p.o.ed right now, which is unusual for me, but I was pumped for Sasha Cohen's return to the ice. Then to see her caving in & proving her many detractors right is disappointing to say the least, upsetting.

Ah, I'm really just upset with the whole entire USFSA, at this point I don't really care except for Rachael Flatt, she's the only glimmer of hope. Geeze, to see the United States U.S. Women's Singles Skaters come to this. None of our women do triple axels, only an occasional 3/3 combo., much less 7 triples. The only highlight came at the 2008 U.S. Nationals. It still gives me chills, what promise, what hope. I was expecting such great things after seeing Mirai, Rachael, and Ashley complete perfect program after perfect program, complete with 3/3s & 7 triples!!!! Now this. Ugh.

At this point I say send the one that won U.S. Nationals last year (sorry, I honestly forgot her name). She's got a pretty face & skates pretty. Yeah, she doesn't have the jumps, but she can make up with it with her spins & spirals. And of course I want Rachael on the team. Between the both of them they can, hopefully, make the top 10. In the meantime I'm going to be searching for an up&comer from the juniors/novice/whatever who can at least do a 3/3 or a triple axel. I'll put all my hope on one of them. :) Seriously, I think I read that a novice skater actually landed a triple axel this summer in some obscure competition. Maybe she'll be America's answer to the phenoms from overseas.:thumbsup:

herios

Medalist

And as far Sasha's comeback, I thought something like this would happen. never really was a believer either.

US has to rely on this new generation in women's skating. They keep sweeping the junior ladies podium for years, they should do similarly well, when they mature, but for some reason, they fail to do so, these days.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
It certainly is a depressing news, but I'm confused.

Sasha kept skating in shows this summer.
As recently as several days ago, I saw a TV ad on some skating exhibition featuring her and couple more famous names (I forget who) that will be held in Anaheim, CA.

My immediate thought was 'shouldn't she be training in one location rather than traveling for shows this close to the beginning of the season'??
I was quite puzzled, and even more puzzling is this news of "injury."

I wish her a quick and full recovery, but if she's not 100% committed to making this come back, then maybe she shouldn't bother.

Lanie

On the Ice
Lake Arrowhead to Anaheim isn't a big deal.

I think it's all hooey. I saw her skate in Improv Ice, she didn't seem injured at all. She never ever mentioned this except over the summer, going on about training hard, feeling better, etc. I think she is unprepared.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
None of our women do triple axels, only an occasional 3/3 combo., much less 7 triples. The only highlight came at the 2008 U.S. Nationals. It still gives me chills, what promise, what hope. I was expecting such great things after seeing Mirai, Rachael, and Ashley complete perfect program after perfect program, complete with 3/3s & 7 triples!!!! Now this. Ugh.

At this point I say send the one that won U.S. Nationals last year (sorry, I honestly forgot her name). She's got a pretty face & skates pretty. Yeah, she doesn't have the jumps, but she can make up with it with her spins & spirals.

The lady who won Nationals last year was Mirai.

If you like triples/triples and 7 triple programs, we can send ...... darn! I can't remember now ...... you know ...... What's-Her-Name ...... the one who was top American at Four Continents and World Team Trophy. :biggrin:

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Sasha to withdraw from gp France

Sometimes this sport is so predictable it's sickening.

First Kimmie, now Sasha........next?

Dizzy

R.D.

Record Breaker
The lady who won Nationals last year was Mirai.

If you like triples/triples and 7 triple programs, we can send ...... darn! I can't remember now ...... you know ...... What's-Her-Name ...... the one who was top American at Four Continents and World Team Trophy. :biggrin:

Actually, I think she was referring to Alyssa, who won the Nats THIS year. The comment "she doesn't have the jumps" makes
me think it could be Czisny.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
Lake Arrowhead to Anaheim isn't a big deal.

I think it's all hooey. I saw her skate in Improv Ice, she didn't seem injured at all. She never ever mentioned this except over the summer, going on about training hard, feeling better, etc. I think she is unprepared.

Oh, she trains in CA.
Okay, that didn't quite cross my mind.

But how does participating in exhibition shows so often affect one's training?
Is it good to test your jumps and etc in front of the audience once in a while, as opposed to just training full time?

I guess it varies from a skater to skater???

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Hopefully she will at least come to SA is she's feeling up to it.
Take care, Sasha!

antmanb

Record Breaker
Well if this is how the season is starting then i can't imagine she'll qualify a spot to the Olympics through nationals.

Ant

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I was expecting Sasha to withdraw...and even more so when I saw that she has signed on to do improv on ice mere days before the event started, but still this is very disappointing. I hope she does SA at least. I can't wait much longer to see her compete again!

Or..is it...Alissa won the U.S. championship last season (2008-09) and now we are at the beinning of this season. :biggrin:

Nadine

Record Breaker
My apologies to Alissa Czisny, yes, she is the one I meant.

I've calmed down a bit since yesterday's posts, lol, but still it troubles me (i.e. the USFSA ladies singles skaters). Seriously, I couldn't even really sleep good last night thinking about it.

My advice to the USFSA is to have more out-reach programs, go to the ghettos/slums even if you have to, but have talent scouts out there looking for kids that have the talent, but maybe don't have the money. Have open auditions, put on free tryout programs, find the ONE that has the natural ability. Lol, can even do a 3A at age 5! Seriously, do what you have to to find her, but find her, now. Hopefully more than one. I just know there are kids out there that have the natural talent/ability, but don't have the money. It's up to the USFSA to do whatever it takes to find those that have what it takes, groom them, make them champions!

That said, I finally did find whom I was referring to yesterday ~ Melisssa Bulanhagui ~ she landed a 3A/2T combo. in the SP at this summer's 2009 Liberty Championships (yes, it was underrotated, but just as much as Kimmie Meissner's ratified one; let's be honest, only Tonya Harding & Midori Ito could land fully rotated ones, and a couple of times Mao Asada has as well). So I say kudos to Melissa for trying! Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uVNW8hA-R8

More about Melissa here (enjoy!) :) : http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080718&content_id=49465&vkey=ice_news

I think she has to do Regionals & all that to qualify for Nationals this year. I'm hoping she makes it. I don't expect her to win Nationals & make the Olympic team, et al, but at least it gives me something to look forward to. Instead of the same ole same ole every year, there's an American skater that will try a 3A/2T in the SP. :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, at least USFS is doing one right thing by keeping their Nationals on network television. This will ensure that their product reaches everyone who might be looking for it.