US Regionals | Golden Skate

US Regionals

Tammi

On the Ice
Didn't see a thread yet, but here are some details (note that Icenetwork is offering live results for the first time at regionals :clap:):

South Atlantics ~ Oct. 9-13, Rockville, MD - Live Results on Icenetwork
Southwesterns ~ Oct. 9-13, Grapevine, TX - Live Results on Icenetwork
Northwest Pacifics ~ Oct. 9-12, Medford, OR - Live Results on Icenetwork

Central Pacifics ~ Oct. 16-20, Salt Lake City, UT
Eastern Great Lakes ~ Oct. 16-20, Carmel, IN
North Atlantics ~ Oct. 16-20, Hackensack, NJ

New England ~ Oct. 22-26, Burlington, VT
Southwest Pacifics ~ Oct. 23-27, Scottsdale, AZ
Upper Great Lakes ~ Oct. 23-27, Hoffman Estates, IL

mskater93

Record Breaker
That score is higher than any on the JGP circuit this year, I believe, and if it isn't, it's the second highest! Holy Cow! Go Agnes!! :rock:

Narumi1997

Rinkside
That score is higher than any on the JGP circuit this year, I believe, and if it isn't, it's the second highest! Holy Cow! Go Agnes!! :rock:

Nearly a point higher than Kanako's score at JGP Croatia!

Poor Lauren Dinh!
6th place finisher at the Novice at Nationals and now she finishes 10h at regionals and has no chance of going to Ntnls :(

Sylvia

Record Breaker
It was reported that Lauren Dinh injured her landing ankle right before her Novice free skate but she decided to skate through the pain and try to qualify through Southwestern Regionals. It's always sad when injury or illness strikes a skater who is expected to qualify. Dinh is just 13 years old, and I hope she will take heart in all the good things she has accomplished this season -- adding 3F to both programs, skating really well at the Liberty Summer Competition this past July without any coaches by the boards to win both the Liberty Novice SP (43.06) and FS (76.58) Finals -- and will come back strong next season!

I'm keeping track of all the Regional qualifiers, plus skaters with byes to Sectionals, at: http://unseenskaters.blogspot.com/2009/10/qualifiers-from-2010-regionals-juv-sr.html
(3 Regionals down and 6 to go!)

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Can someone provide SO and Results links for these events

Central Pacifics ~ Oct. 16-20, Salt Lake City, UT
Eastern Great Lakes ~ Oct. 16-20, Carmel, IN
North Atlantics ~ Oct. 16-20, Hackensack, NJ

New England ~ Oct. 22-26, Burlington, VT
Southwest Pacifics ~ Oct. 23-27, Scottsdale, AZ
Upper Great Lakes ~ Oct. 23-27, Hoffman Estates, IL

when they are available please!

just wondering

On the Ice
Icenetwork is doing a great job posting live competition results from each of the Regional events. Some of the video from last weekend's Regionals has been posted.

Here is the link to their Schedule Page: http://web.icenetwork.com/events/schedule.jsp

Just click on the Region you wish to see, then click bullet titled "Starting Order/Results" under the Event Information section. (toward the right side side of the page.) You can even get protocols by clicking on "Details." Really quite fun to know so much info so timely:clap:.
JW

Tammi

On the Ice

gold12345

Medalist
It was reported that Lauren Dinh injured her landing ankle right before her Novice free skate but she decided to skate through the pain and try to qualify through Southwestern Regionals. It's always sad when injury or illness strikes a skater who is expected to qualify. Dinh is just 13 years old, and I hope she will take heart in all the good things she has accomplished this season -- adding 3F to both programs, skating really well at the Liberty Summer Competition this past July without any coaches by the boards to win both the Liberty Novice SP (43.06) and FS (76.58) Finals -- and will come back strong next season!

Such a shame. I don't follow Novice, but I think I've read that she was one of the clear favorites to win at Nationals. The qualifying system puts such an unnecessary stress on young skaters. It must be so discouraging to know your whole season is ruined if you are not healthy enough on the exact qualifying day. I can only imagine how many kids push themselves (or are pushed by their parents who are paying the bills) to compete with moderate to severe injuries that they have no business competing on just because it is their only chance to save their competitive season. It's really too bad that there is no other way for the skaters (especially the ones who are at the top in their level) to qualify.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
It must be so discouraging to know your whole season is ruined if you are not healthy enough on the exact qualifying day.
Definitely. Taylor Firth (13th in Senior Ladies at 2009 U.S. Nationals and 5th in the Lake Placid JGP) had her season end prematurely on Monday when she was forced to withdraw from the short program at North Atlantic Regionals due to illness. :(

I've been keeping track of all the results/scores for the singles skaters that have competed at the 6 Regionals so far and have qualified for Sectionals (Novice/Junior/Senior) in November and Junior Nationals (Intermediate/Juvenile) in December -- link is: http://unseenskaters.blogspot.com/2009/10/qualifiers-from-2010-regionals-juv-sr.html

3 Regionals to go: Southwest Pacific, Upper Great Lakes, and New England!

nylynnr

On the Ice
Good skates from Samantha Cesario at Norths, and congrats to her for landing triple Lutz in competition first time! Big step up from her summer competitions. On another note, nice of Oksana Baiul to so patiently pose for photos and give out autographs to young fans at the Ice House.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I read about the skater that had an asthma attack & had to be taken to the hospital. I can't stop thinking about it. I'm wondering if she got so nervous that it brought on the asthma attack? Heartbreaking.:frown::cry:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Saw Junior Men at UGL last night. Jason Brown was awesome with only one under-rotation call on the second jump of his 3/3 combination. He's got great presence and needs to get that second 3T under control and a 3A and he will be the next great US man. He didn't even have a 3 Lz earlier this summer and landed 2 lovely ones last night in his program, so anything can happen!

Edward Sprogis was also awesome in his Bronze Medal performance. Much stronger than I have seen his previously with a really interesting program and a 3Lz/3Lo combination that got a 0 GOE (11 PT pick up, there). Get the 2A at the beginning under control and he should make it out of Mids.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Angel Sarikova is one to watch. I have watched her since she as a preliminary. She had a rough SP and was in 17 but rallied to 7th overall in the Southwestern Intermediate Ladies. She had great presence on the ice and a 2 axel/2 toe/2 loop.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Then you missed UGLs - Barbie Long landed 2A+2T+2Lo, 3S, 2A, 2Lz+2Lo, 2Lz, 2F+2T and had all level 3s and 4s on everything else in her LP to a score of 63. Everything is of very high quality (lots of +GOES) and this kid has no limits!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Maybe somebody can answer this one. Why do so many skaters kill in the qualifiying and do well in the short and then fall apart in the freeskate?

mskater93

Record Breaker
Because they put too much pressure on themselves. I watched a Senior Lady do it at UGL this past Monday. She had a large cushion after SP to make the top 4 and move on, but she came out to skate her program looking very nervous (she's been 5th like 6 times over the years from Intermediate on up) and just had a terrible skate for her. She made Sectionals, but her long was not good.

OnTheEdge

Rinkside
Maybe somebody can answer this one. Why do so many skaters kill in the qualifiying and do well in the short and then fall apart in the freeskate?

Some never figure out how to compete. It's not just one program, it's the entire event.