2009 Trophée Eric Bompard Preview article | Golden Skate

2009 Trophée Eric Bompard Preview article

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2009-10 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating begins this week in Paris, France, with the Trophée Eric Bompard. It is the first season that the series begins in another country other than the United States. Approximately 60 skaters from 15 countries will attempt to earn points towards qualification to the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final to be held in December in Tokyo.
More

jcoates

Medalist
I think the pick of Pechelat and Bourzat over Virtue and Moir is certainly the most interesting part of the article. It has anyone seen a preview of P/B's programs? IT will be intriguing to see how both teams perform and progress.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I think the pick of Pechelat and Bourzat over Virtue and Moir is certainly the most interesting part of the article. It has anyone seen a preview of P/B's programs? IT will be intriguing to see how both teams perform and progress.
I saw their performances from the Masters, but only on Youtube. To win TEB, they really have their work cut out for them. The OD was... not good, and kind of tacky. I hope they have made major changes. The FD looked rough at times but it's a great concept, and has a lot of potential. Voidy stuff as one might expect; they're not the type of skaters who'd go for warhorses. The costumes were awful for both programs, I'm hoping those will be changed quite a bit.

It seems like at the start of every season people remark as to how P/B's programs aren't as good as the previous year's, but in the end they make them work. Still, this is their first international of the season, so it might be too early for them to really shine. I expect a second place finish, barring mistakes by Tessa and Scott.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What a lot of great stuff Elvin Walker got from the TEB press conference!

I'm looking forward to the OD, which is going to be a battle of the cowboy programs for spots 2 through 4 between P&B, Kerrs, and Samuelson/Bates.

Vancouver just hosted the Canadian country music awards. Come the Olympics, they will be getting deja vu all over again :laugh:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I found both programs kind of tacky. All that I am a clock stuff and outfits from Fabian.

Note the minute hand on Fabian's right arm, plus clock style makeup on his face.
http://www.annecy-infosports.com/Patinage/picture.php?/3120/category/36

and the clockwork gears on his back
http://www.annecy-infosports.com/Patinage/picture.php?/3117/category/36

Here are their OD costumes. Nathalie's is particularly vile, except for her boots, which I really like

http://www.annecy-infosports.com/Patinage/picture.php?/3059/category/36

The hula skirt with the lasso/whip is particularly :laugh:

jcoates

Medalist
Thanks Doris and Buttercup for the comments and pics. I'd read about their program concepts in recent weeks and thought it was more or less standard stuff for them. That being said, none of the top team seems to be breaking out of their molds with their choices this year.

On a snarky note, WHAT did Fabian do to his hair? While I don't always prefer their programs, this couple is easily one of the most attractive pairings around today. I don't like it long and wild like that. It works for some people, like Charlie White, but not for everyone.

Ah well. It make work better when I'm not looking at still shots of it.

Can't wait for the GP's to start!

sus2850

Rinkside
I am looking forward to their programme actually, because after being at the Nebelhorn trophy where everyone (ok, the 10-12 couples I watched) showed folk and no-one country it will at least be a change. The hair looks bad though, yes.

Susanne

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I can't believe that there are people doubting Brian Joubert, his new long program is awesome, I have seen it. To use worlds, and his earlier outing this season at the masters as evidence that he is not going to do well, is well I am not quite sure what to make of it, other than not good, for lack of better terms-blame it on the flu.

To say that he does not perform well in the Trophy Eric Bompard is not necassarily true, Brian won the competition in 2006.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I don't think it's unfair. He's medalled at Euros and Worlds more consistently than at Eric Bompard these past few seasons. Relatively speaking, it seems to be a weaker event for him

I like JR's predictions except for Oda way down in fifth place. I think he will take home the gold. :yes:

Wicked

Final Flight
I thought Brian doesn't tend to do well early in the season. I like both his programs this year, particularly the LP.

IDLERACER

Medalist
I just want to let everyone know that if you live in Los Angeles and don't have anything beyond basic cable, the men's and women's competitions will be airing on NBC from 10:00 AM to 12:00 noon this Sunday, the 18th. :thumbsup:​