Sit spin with leg lifted in front? | Golden Skate

Sit spin with leg lifted in front?

SkateABG

Spectator
Does anyone remember seeing or hearing about a skater doing a sit spin with her leg lifted so that it was around 135 degrees straight above the ice? She was sitting all the way down in a shoot the duck position, her back was upright, and it was just amazing. I've only ever seen a picture, and this was probably 2 to 3 ago. To the best of my memory, she was young, maybe novice or intermediate level, from the east coast, and had dark hair. I remember seeing a picture of her doing the spin at regionals, but I'm trying to find a video to see how she did the spin...it would help if I could remember her name. I've never seen anyone else do this spin before or since, and I can't even think of what the spin may be called so I can google it. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

laidbackskater

Spectator
Was it a spin like in this video at 1:07 ish? Also here at 4:10 and 4:45 ish? If so, she's the only skater I've ever seen do it, and I don't know that it really has a name.

I'm kind of guessing, though, that we'll be seeing more of that spin at least at the lower qualifying levels. It's really unique looking and fun to try (I've worked on them a couple of times and they're tricky but fun).

SkateABG

Spectator
Yes! That was it....that is an amazing trick of balance. Some of my friends were trying that the other day (not very well) and I was trying to remember where I've seen it before. I don't remember ever seeing Cantu do it, but that's definitely it.

There was some buzz about this spin a few years back when a young American skater did it at regionals...I remember she was kind of known for it, and people would talk about it when giving program notes from competitions. This may have been on the unseen skaters message board, but I searched there and couldn't find anything. In the picture I saw, her leg was at an even more extreme angle than Cantu's, but since I've never seen a video of her I couldn't tell much about the quality of the spin.

Thanks for letting me know about Cantu and posting the video....I'm gonna have to work on it now just because it looks so cool.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Cantu appeared at Liberty this summer. From time to time, then, she competes in US club competitions.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I do remember some buzz about a US girl in the lower ranks getting bonus points under COP (maybe she was the 1st???) for a new move doing something like that, and I cannot remember her name. Blonde girl, I think. She said she was falling from a jump and tried to catch herself, ended up in a shoot the duck kind of position, so she started using it as a hydroblade/spiral position and a spin position. At least, that is what I am remembering!

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Yes, difficult spin to do and quite amazing.

Bravo to Cantu on preforming that spins. Rather that than another badly done Bielmann!!

Plus that spin helped Cantu vault into the Top 24 at Worlds last year. I recalled Cantu receiving a nice +GOE for it.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Beautiful spin!! I'd like to see some of the other skaters attempt this some day.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Does anyone remember seeing or hearing about a skater doing a sit spin with her leg lifted so that it was around 135 degrees straight above the ice? She was sitting all the way down in a shoot the duck position, her back was upright, and it was just amazing. I've only ever seen a picture, and this was probably 2 to 3 ago. To the best of my memory, she was young, maybe novice or intermediate level, from the east coast, and had dark hair. I remember seeing a picture of her doing the spin at regionals, but I'm trying to find a video to see how she did the spin...it would help if I could remember her name. I've never seen anyone else do this spin before or since, and I can't even think of what the spin may be called so I can google it. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
Danielle Shepard. I don't know if there's any video of her doing the "Shepard sit spin," but here are photos from 2005 U.S. Nationals (she placed 8th in Junior and has since retired): http://www.skateygirl.com/nat2005/jrladies/shepard/free/index.htm