Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jennifer Kirk lands writing gig with Los Angeles Times

The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar

Jennifer Kirk lands writing gig with Los Angeles Times

Congratulations to Jennifer Kirk - She lands writing gig with Los Angeles Times

Quoting from The Fabulous Forum (The who, what, where, when, why — and why not — of L.A. sports)

"Jennifer Kirk, who finished third at the U.S. figure skating championships in 2004 and fourth in 2005, will write a weekly blog for The Times providing insights into the skating world during the final months leading into the Vancouver Winter Olympics."

Way to go Jenny!

Her first article here!

With your permission, Pete, I think I'll move this announcement to the Edge where it will attract more views and comments. (OK, I Jennifer kirk -- what can I say? )

How wonderful! Congrats, Jenny!

Custom Title
    Nice job. Will be interesting to see whether her decision to tackle some of the more sensitive topics will continue or whether the broader audience of a national paper will limit the range. Here's to hoping she keeps her edge.

The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

With your permission, Pete, I think I'll move this announcement to the Edge where it will attract more views and comments. (OK, I Jennifer kirk -- what can I say? )
    Thanks Mathman... I can never decide which is the more appropriate place to put such articles...lol.

I left some comments on her first article at the LA Times blog site. I encourage everyone to make a point of commenting regularly there with each of her new articles, to show the Times she has a strong following.

Custom Title
    way to go jenny-congratulations.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Boy, what a great thing for Jenny and the Times.

Custom Title
    Great for Jennifer! And this is just the beginning, she obviously has the talent to put pen to paper & write in such a way that people are naturally taken in, want more, et al. She has a wonderful future in front of her.

Custom Title
    Congrats to her as well.

On a related note, did anyone catch the rather harsh dig directed at Kirk by Phil Hirsch on his own blog regarding Jennifer's skepticism about Cohen withdrawing from TEB? Subtle it wasn't...

( http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/olym...09/10/sas.html )

"Failure is something Kirk is familiar with, having slid to 17th- and 18th-place finishes in her two world meet appearances and quitting a year before the 2006 Olympics; Cohen, by comparison, has an Olympic silver, two world silvers, a world bronze and no finish worse than fourth in five world and two Olympic appearances."

What a jerk. Totally classless.

This occurs in the 6th paragraph of his article. Not the best way to start off when referencing a new colleague. Perhaps he should pull back the fangs considering all the difficult circumstances Kirk had to contend with while she was competing.
    Last edited by jcoates; 10-14-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Name correction

someone's probably feeling the heat of not being the most popular journalist on the subject at his newspaper...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    Congrats to her as well.

On a related note, did anyone catch the rather harsh dig directed at Kirk by Seymour Hirsch on his own blog regarding Jennifer's skepticism about Cohen withdrawing from TEB? Subtle it wasn't...

( http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/olym...09/10/sas.html )

"Failure is something Kirk is familiar with, having slid to 17th- and 18th-place finishes in her two world meet appearances and quitting a year before the 2006 Olympics; Cohen, by comparison, has an Olympic silver, two world silvers, a world bronze and no finish worse than fourth in five world and two Olympic appearances."

What a jerk. Totally classless.

This occurs in the 6th paragraph of his article. Not the best way to start off when referencing a new colleague. Perhaps he should pull back the fangs considering all the difficult circumstances Kirk had to contend with while she was competing.
    I agree - really uncalled for and just plain mean. Especially since Jenny has been honest about what she dealt with while competing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hrmsk8ngnutt View Post
    I agree - really uncalled for and just plain mean. Especially since Jenny has been honest about what she dealt with while competing.
    I know what you mean. Only a threatened person like Louella would resort to such tactics.

Custom Title
    Did you mean Seymour Hirsch or Phil?. The former is usually a very good writer and mostly engages in political revelations and such so I can't see him taking an interest in Fsing. Phil can be a bit of a sh-t so if it were he it would not surprise me. Anyway GO JENNY!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by yelyoh; 10-14-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Yeah, it was Phil Hersh. Stuff like this is really inexcusable:

Unlike Kirk and those who sent comments, I had the advantage (and responsibility) of raising it the way a real journalist does --
    Well, Phil, "unlike Jennifer Kirk" you're ugly and your mom dresses you funny..

I think Mr. Hersh is peeved because he was the loudest in urging Sasha to return and in predicting that her return would be a great thing for skating. When Sasha announced her decision last spring Hersh was the first in line to say "I told you so." In fact, wasn't it Hersh who spilled the beans beforte the USFSA could make an official announcement?

Custom Title
    I hope you guys don't end up hating me, but I decided to log on to come to Mr. Hersh's defense. Yes, it's obvious he's sort of a mean-spirited guy, he plays favorites and never pulls any punches in talking about the athletes he doesn't fully respect, but I understand how as a legitimately trained journalist he's peeved by what Kirk said of Cohen. The truth is, Jenny wrote the stuff about Cohen quitting based on speculation alone. She assumed that cohen was not going to compete based alone on her withdrawing from TEB, something that would have been okay to write on a personal blog, but on Los Angeles times? I honestly think it was just a bad call on her part. And even on her personal blog, which I have read many times, she said stuff about athletes based on her interpretation/speculation/opnions alone, and I found her entries a bit embarrassing to read at times because it was so plain obvious that she was writing them without having done enough research and her claims came across as immature and poorly pout together, and I often felt like her claims lacked substance/thoughtfulness/consideration for other athletes. I think at this point, as Hersh points out, it is wrong of Jenny to speculate without having spoken with the athlete herself, and I wouldn't be surprised if Cohen came back to compete at a later time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Yeah, it was Phil Hersh. Stuff like this is really inexcusable:

Well, Phil, "unlike Jennifer Kirk" you're ugly and your mom dresses you funny..

I think Mr. Hersh is peeved because he was the loudest in urging Sasha to return and in predicting that her return would be a great thing for skating. When Sasha announced her decision last spring Hersh was the first in line to say "I told you so." In fact, wasn't it Hersh who spilled the beans beforte the USFSA could make an official announcement?
    Last edited by cassieandcheetah; 10-14-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast