Mao faces early test against Kim in GP opener | Golden Skate

Mao faces early test against Kim in GP opener

Oh, dear...this makes me so anxious. What's with Mao? Is it pressure? Is she going through a period where (as Browning once put it) her jumps are on vacation? I hope she regains her peak by Vancouver.

My ideal Olympic competition is one like 1998 in Nagano. Both Kwan and Lipinski skated well--neither had anything to be regretful about--and it was a narrow judgment call that decided the winner. Even though I wish Kwan had gotten the gold that night, I think that both ladies skated gold-medal performances. I don't enjoy it so much when someone wins because she's the one left standing, though I understand that sometimes gravity or luck can be the deciding factor. That's life. Still...sigh...especially in the case of Mao, such a talented skater, I'd love to see a battle of equals between her and Kim.

lcd

Match Penalty
What a great event. Mao and Yuna have been battling since Juniors. Hope they both skate amazingly. How awesome it would be to electrify the season. I vote for no injuries - only amazing performances :clap:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Interesting article, I personally don't agree with the author's comments about Mao's program & a few other things, but interesting neverthelss. :)

A true champion is one that always challenges oneself. To me, Mao is the essence of this, no matter the results. She continues to challenge herself both artistically & athletically. Going outside her comfort zone when it comes to music, during an Olympic Year no less, is part of this. She could've played it safe & gone with the pretty pretty music that she's known for, but she didn't. Same thing goes for her insistence on sticking with two 3axels during the LP (not to mention the SP as well), despite the public's overwhelming objections.

Skate for yourself, Mao-chan, remember what it is you love about skating. Skate for yourself, nobody else, not your country, not your coach, not for the judges, but for yourself.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
My ideal Olympic competition is one like 1998 in Nagano. Both Kwan and Lipinski skated well--neither had anything to be regretful about--and it was a narrow judgment call that decided the winner. Even though I wish Kwan had gotten the gold that night, I think that both ladies skated gold-medal performances. I don't enjoy it so much when someone wins because she's the one left standing, though I understand that sometimes gravity or luck can be the deciding factor. That's life. Still...sigh...especially in the case of Mao, such a talented skater, I'd love to see a battle of equals between her and Kim.[/QUOTE]

I agree, what a great free skate, especially for Lu chen:yes: and I also think MK should have gotten gold:bow: I hope this years Olympic are just as nail biting!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
My ideal Olympic competition is one like 1998 in Nagano. Both Kwan and Lipinski skated well--neither had anything to be regretful about--and it was a narrow judgment call that decided the winner.

yeah, i like events like that too...but without all the "so-and-so was ROBBED!" talk. I like a win fair and square.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
yeah, i like events like that too...but without all the "so-and-so was ROBBED!" talk. I like a win fair and square.

I totally agree. I remember reading an article on NBC, I believe, that commented that they were glad that there was a clear winner at Torino (in the ladies' competition) so that the champion didn't boil down to who happened impress the judges that happened to be on the judging panel at the time.