Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Chan withdraws from Rostelocom Cup

Custom Title
    We all obviously have our favorites, lol, but let us come together to wish that ALL the athletes remain healthy & injury-free, and that each one can give their best, make it one for the ages!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK TO *ALL* THE MEN, WOMEN, PAIRS, AND DANCE!

Thank You, this coming from a lowly fan that simply loves skating.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I dont think he is the one to beat now either(not even close to that) and the gold contenders are many now which makes it exciting, but thats nothing to do with being one of the great athletes of figure skating, which i think is a fact rather than just my opinion Anyway, we wait to see now how Plushy is at Rostel
    Oh I definetly think he is a great figure skater just not one of the greatest athletes! We agree that the many contenders for gold make the Olympics so much more exciting! I can't wait!

ETA:
    New article on Patrick: (where he mentions competing against Plushenko as well)
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/figure...-led-to-injury

He might have had a case of H1N1 as well! What a bad month and a half.
    Last edited by i love to skate; 10-15-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: added new article

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Okami View Post
    I just read the article at FSU and I got a different impression. The article said that Stephane doesn't want to attend a GP event that would require him to travel overseas, because it would disrupt his training too much (and he still has a lot to work on). Then it added "since an early confrontation with the Olympic rival Plushenko was out of the question...", but I got a feeling that was a result of not being able to compete at CoR, not the reason.
    I just read the article and the way it is written you can't really tell where that "an early confrontation with Plushenko is out of the question" is coming from. Could have been strictly the writer's impression.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Awful, all these injures. First Sasha Cohen, poor thing. Then Patrick Chan and Domnina / Shabalin. No good.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Plushenko never had the strongest footwork or spins and he benefited from generous scoring at many competitions.
    Name one competition he won that he didn't deserve. I can't think of any, but I can think of plenty of those for some of the current "stars"
    The skaters in 2010 are much stronger than his competition was in 2006 with many contenders for the gold.
    Really? I mean, really? Just because there are many people on a similar level, doesn't mean the level itself has risen.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho View Post
    Name one competition he won that he didn't deserve. I can't think of any, but I can think of plenty of those for some of the current "stars"
    Ummm, where did I say he didn't deserve to win? I said he was overscored very often....he often received ridiculous PCS. If you can't see that....

Really? I mean, really? Just because there are many people on a similar level, doesn't mean the level itself has risen.
    Joubert, Chan, Lysacek, Oda, Takahashi, Lambiel. I will happily take these "similar level" of skaters and watch an exciting and unpredictable competition over an event that had no excitement which occurred in 2006.

Custom Title
    Ummm, where did I say he didn't deserve to win? I said he was overscored very often....he often received ridiculous PCS. If you can't see that....
    Let's see, you said that "he benefited from generous scoring at many competitions." Now, in order to benefit from generous scoring, you need to be in a losing position and get saved by undeserved scores. That never happened to Plushy. If he did receive elevated PCS, it was in a situations where he was a clear winner anyways. And as for his "ridiculous" PCS, his are no more "ridiculous" than Chan's PCS, and occasionally Lambiel' s PCS. Yet Plushy always won things fair and square, while Chan and sometimes Lambiel have a tendency to bomb their technical content and then get so over-scored on PCS that they are unfairly given a competition. Now, this kind of over-scoring I find truly harmful and ridiculous.
    Joubert, Chan, Lysacek, Oda, Takahashi, Lambiel. I will happily take these "similar level" of skaters and watch an exciting and unpredictable competition over an event that had no excitement which occurred in 2006.
    It's all nice and swell that you enjoy the unpredictability of competition more. But what you initially said, was that these skaters are competing at a higher level than in 2006, and that's just not true.

Now, in order to benefit from generous scoring, you need to be in a losing position and get saved by undeserved scores.
    You can also benefit from generous scoring when you are in a winning position.

If he did receive elevated PCS, it was in a situations where he was a clear winner anyways
    So that makes it okay??

It's all nice and swell that you enjoy the unpredictability of competition more. But what you initially said, was that these skaters are competing at a higher level than in 2006, and that's just not true.
    IMO, the overall level of skating among the top 6 men is greatly improved from 2006. Obviously I'm wrong :sheesh:

The King has arrived - no questions! plushyta's Avatar
    ... Plushenko never had the strongest footwork or spins and he benefited from generous scoring at many competitions.....
    Never, never... I dont like word: never .... especially if someone not have "long" memory

... by whose opinion he never had the strongest footwork? According to yours?
    By me, and the opinion of the judges - he had some of the toughest and best footworks in the history of skating.
    If you are talking about "taste" ... about taste are not discussed

... related to spins ... do you ever seen his Biellmann spin?

Bringing this thread back to topic:
    Here is a new article about Patrick. Good to see he has a positive attitude about the injury:
    http://olympics.thestar.com/2008/article/711106

There is also an interview with him and Kurt Browning on SkateBuzz for those interested

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyta View Post
    By me, and the opinion of the judges - he had some of the toughest and best footworks in the history of skating.
    OMG, you're kidding right? Clearly I've never seen the same Plushenko you've seen!

The King has arrived - no questions! plushyta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingbc View Post
    OMG, you're kidding right? Clearly I've never seen the same Plushenko you've seen!
    I and the judges have seen one Plushenko, you - a other ... what do you think, who is right?

Custom Title
    You can also benefit from generous scoring when you are in a winning position.
    What's the benefit? You win anyways.
    So that makes it okay??
    Yes.

IMO, the overall level of skating among the top 6 men is greatly improved from 2006. Obviously I'm wrong :sheesh:
    Well, acknowledging it is the first step. Good for you.

I and the judges have seen one Plushenko, you - a other ... what do you think, who is right?
    Pay no attention to the Chan Koolaid drinkers. They tend to think he is the Second Coming and he is the one who has the greatest spins, footwork, choreo, jumps ever. It's not even an issue of memory, it an attention span problem.
    Last edited by psycho; 10-16-2009 at 11:51 PM.

Custom Title
    Pay no attention to the Chan Koolaid drinkers. They tend to think he is the Second Coming and he is the one who has the greatest spins, footwork, choreo, jumps ever. It's not even an issue of memory, it an attention span problem.
    I disliked Evgeni Plushenko before I knew Patrick Chan existed, so my dislike for him has nothing to do with the fact that I like Patrick Chan. I don't think he's the Second Coming, and I don't think he has the greatest spins, footwork, choreo, jumps ever. Do I think he has good spins, footwork, choreo, and jumps? Heck yes.

I hope you are not implying that Plushenko has the best footwork, choreo, and spins ever. I would give you jumps because yeah, the dude can jump! However, IMO, he is nowhere even close to being the greatest at everything else though.
    Last edited by skatingbc; 10-17-2009 at 01:54 AM.

rarely do I just blindly follow the judges rulings...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast