Patrick Chan withdraws from Rostelocom Cup | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan withdraws from Rostelocom Cup

i love to skate

Medalist
Name one competition he won that he didn't deserve. I can't think of any, but I can think of plenty of those for some of the current "stars"

Ummm, where did I say he didn't deserve to win? I said he was overscored very often....he often received ridiculous PCS. If you can't see that....

Really? I mean, really? Just because there are many people on a similar level, doesn't mean the level itself has risen. :rofl:

Joubert, Chan, Lysacek, Oda, Takahashi, Lambiel. I will happily take these "similar level" of skaters and watch an exciting and unpredictable competition over an event that had no excitement which occurred in 2006.

psycho

On the Ice
Ummm, where did I say he didn't deserve to win? I said he was overscored very often....he often received ridiculous PCS. If you can't see that....

Let's see, you said that "he benefited from generous scoring at many competitions." Now, in order to benefit from generous scoring, you need to be in a losing position and get saved by undeserved scores. That never happened to Plushy. If he did receive elevated PCS, it was in a situations where he was a clear winner anyways. And as for his "ridiculous" PCS, his are no more "ridiculous" than Chan's PCS, and occasionally Lambiel' s PCS. Yet Plushy always won things fair and square, while Chan and sometimes Lambiel have a tendency to bomb their technical content and then get so over-scored on PCS that they are unfairly given a competition. Now, this kind of over-scoring I find truly harmful and ridiculous.
Joubert, Chan, Lysacek, Oda, Takahashi, Lambiel. I will happily take these "similar level" of skaters and watch an exciting and unpredictable competition over an event that had no excitement which occurred in 2006.
It's all nice and swell that you enjoy the unpredictability of competition more. But what you initially said, was that these skaters are competing at a higher level than in 2006, and that's just not true. ;)

i love to skate

Medalist
Now, in order to benefit from generous scoring, you need to be in a losing position and get saved by undeserved scores.

You can also benefit from generous scoring when you are in a winning position.

If he did receive elevated PCS, it was in a situations where he was a clear winner anyways

So that makes it okay??

It's all nice and swell that you enjoy the unpredictability of competition more. But what you initially said, was that these skaters are competing at a higher level than in 2006, and that's just not true. ;)

IMO, the overall level of skating among the top 6 men is greatly improved from 2006. Obviously I'm wrong :sheesh:

plushyta

On the Ice
... Plushenko never had the strongest footwork or spins and he benefited from generous scoring at many competitions.....
Never, never... :rolleye: I dont like word: never :unsure: .... especially if someone not have "long" memory :p

... by whose opinion he never had the strongest footwork? According to yours?:confused:
By me, and the opinion of the judges - he had some of the toughest and best footworks in the history of skating. :cool:
If you are talking about "taste" ... about taste are not discussed :biggrin:

... related to spins ... do you ever seen his Biellmann spin? ;)

psycho

On the Ice
You can also benefit from generous scoring when you are in a winning position.

What's the benefit? You win anyways.
So that makes it okay??

Yes.

IMO, the overall level of skating among the top 6 men is greatly improved from 2006. Obviously I'm wrong :sheesh:
Well, acknowledging it is the first step. Good for you. ;)

I and the judges have seen one Plushenko, you - a other ... what do you think, who is right? :laugh:
Pay no attention to the Chan Koolaid drinkers.:rofl: They tend to think he is the Second Coming and he is the one who has the greatest spins, footwork, choreo, jumps ever. It's not even an issue of memory, it an attention span problem.;)

Last edited:

skatingbc

Final Flight
Pay no attention to the Chan Koolaid drinkers.:rofl: They tend to think he is the Second Coming and he is the one who has the greatest spins, footwork, choreo, jumps ever. It's not even an issue of memory, it an attention span problem.;)

I disliked Evgeni Plushenko before I knew Patrick Chan existed, so my dislike for him has nothing to do with the fact that I like Patrick Chan. I don't think he's the Second Coming, and I don't think he has the greatest spins, footwork, choreo, jumps ever. Do I think he has good spins, footwork, choreo, and jumps? Heck yes.

I hope you are not implying that Plushenko has the best footwork, choreo, and spins ever. I would give you jumps because yeah, the dude can jump! However, IMO, he is nowhere even close to being the greatest at everything else though.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
Well, acknowledging it is the first step. Good for you. ;)

Well aren't we rude this morning.

I don't think any of us are Chan Koolaid drinkers. None of us have ever said he has the greatest footwork, spins, choreo, and jumps ever. He is very talented but is not without his areas of improvement. Plushenko fans are the ones who have come in and taken issue with everything that has been said. Anyways, this thread is about Patrick! I believe there is already a Plushenko thread in the main forum...which is full of Plushenko "Kool aid drinkers"....one which I'm sure you have visited frequently!

I hope you are not implying that Plushenko has the best footwork, choreo, and spins ever. I would give you jumps because yeah, the dude can jump! However, IMO, he is nowhere even close to being the greatest at everything else though.

That's what I thought too but apparently we're wrong! :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

seniorita

Record Breaker
rarely do I just blindly follow the judges rulings...
very very true!:yes:

But evgeni has been having standing ovations from the audience since he was 15 and skated in Euros 1998. No he doesnt have the best footwork, spins or choreo, but he gets people on their feet, and unless audience is an alien body he has to have something, all this about he just jumps ...anyway everybody sees what he wants to see.