Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Trophée Eric Bompard 2009 News and practice reports

Custom Title
    Thanks for posting the videos!

Mao's looks good, love the music, finally it's here, yes!!!!!!!

I'll repost what I stated in an earlier thread somewhere on GS, lol:

"A true champion is one that always challenges oneself. To me, Mao is the essence of this, no matter the results. She continues to challenge herself both artistically & athletically. Going outside her comfort zone when it comes to music, during an Olympic Year no less, is part of this. She could've played it safe & gone with the pretty pretty music that she's known for, but she didn't. Same thing goes for her insistence on sticking with two 3axels during the LP (not to mention the SP as well), despite the public's overwhelming objections.

Skate for yourself, Mao-chan, remember what it is you love about skating. Skate for yourself, nobody else, not your country, not your coach, not for the judges, but for yourself."

Lambiel is the best!!
    Quote Originally Posted by schiele View Post
    Oh my oh my, call me crazy but compared to Yuna's lifeless LP music, I actually prefer the Bells..
    But her jumps look very very solid. On the other hand, the last triple axel in Mao's clip was UR'ed I think..
    Lifeless? What are you talking about?
    I think it's a fresh, new piece of music people haven't heard thousand times already.
    So it might be a while before it grows on us.
    Though I couldn't get the feel of it entirely (over the broadcaster talking non-stop), I like it.
    By the way, she looks rock solid.

As for Mao, I just hope she's not under too much stress!
    But how could she not be..... Look at the Japanese TV people dissecting her every single move on the rink AND in the studio back home.
    Good luck, Mao!
    Last edited by *Sniper*; 10-15-2009 at 01:42 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Thanks for posting the videos!

Mao's looks good, love the music, finally it's here, yes!!!!!!!

I'll repost what I stated in an earlier thread somewhere on GS, lol:

"A true champion is one that always challenges oneself. To me, Mao is the essence of this, no matter the results. She continues to challenge herself both artistically & athletically. Going outside her comfort zone when it comes to music, during an Olympic Year no less, is part of this. She could've played it safe & gone with the pretty pretty music that she's known for, but she didn't. Same thing goes for her insistence on sticking with two 3axels during the LP (not to mention the SP as well), despite the public's overwhelming objections.

Skate for yourself, Mao-chan, remember what it is you love about skating. Skate for yourself, nobody else, not your country, not your coach, not for the judges, but for yourself."
    Yeah! I definitely agree! I'm leaving for Paris to see her tomorrow! So excited! Mao is a challenger! She's trying to rewrite the history of this sport! Great Sp though! I loved her speed!

Quote Originally Posted by *Sniper* View Post
    Lifeless? What are you talking about?
    I think it's a fresh, new piece of music people haven't heard thousand times already.
    So it might be a while before it grows on us.
    Though I couldn't get the feel of it entirely (over the broadcaster talking non-stop), I like it.
    By the way, she looks rock solid.

As for Mao, I just hope she's not under too much stress!
    But how could she not be..... Look at the Japanese TV people dissecting her every single move on the rink AND in the studio back home.
    Good luck, Mao!
    Yep. Mao must be really stressed after media following her everywhere! BTW Yu-Na's music is definitely NOT life less! I agree with you! I like her new FS and her jumps looked solid as rock! But, I wonder if she's going for 3Lo...?? Any way, both of the new programs looked great!

Custom Title
    Thanks for the links!
    Wow. So the season really started!! I'm so excited!!!

Yay, Yuna looks just gorgeous and fit! I found the music a bit unfamiliar but it sounds nice and fresh, full of life to me. And with that beautiful blue costume and detailed choreography.... it will look quite different! Oh! I can't wait!!!

As for Mao's SP... I don't really know what to say. I was never a big fan of her last LP to begin with. It looks almost same as her previous LP except the layback spin and ending and the length. Because I remember she said in an interview it's gonna be more light and fun program(or something like that. I don't remember exactly) I expected something..... different. Oh well, maybe with new costume it will be better, I hope.

I really wonder how Carolina is doing. Can't wait her new programs!
    Last edited by gourry; 10-15-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pokky_oc View Post
    But, I wonder if she's going for 3Lo...?? Any way, both of the new programs looked great!
    I wonder the same thing. If so, where would she put it? I highly doubt she would make it a combination jump. Is it going to be her second jump(which is now flip) as usual? Then, would she do her flip as her last jump instead of final 2a??

/(^.^)/\(^.^)\
    Quote Originally Posted by gourry View Post
    Because I remember she said in an interview it's gonna be more light and fun program(or something like that. I don't remember exactly) I expected something..... different.
    Exactly! Not to mention the fact that she was supposed to skate to a flute & orchestra arrangement of Masquerade. And it was supposed to look different. But this looks just like last season's LP with the same music. :(

I wonder if TAT plans to give Mao a different SP later in the season... (I hope so.)

And here's an article with Nobu:
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/09...2048003-n1.htm
    Nobu says that his SP is about 60% ready, his LP about 70%. He's feeling good and plans to not go crazy with jumps. Instead he wants to concentrate on steps and spins. It seems that his team is taking things slowly this season and is careful not to let Nobu peak to early... Smart!

Custom Title
    Tragically, I believe she got hit with the puberty stick. Very sad when one remembers how wonderful she was a few years ago. The lightness, energy and power seem to be gone. It is a cruel sport.

Custom Title
    I meant to quote the "what happened to Mao" post. That was sad to watch. Makes me wish that the ISU would eliminate the age restrictions so that skaters might actually enjoy the highs they achieve when they peak, and not try to hang on after puberty has reared its ugly head.

Custom Title
    Addendum:

I don't think the Japanese media will ever learn. Case in point Miki Ando & Midori Ito. I'm glad Tatiana Tarasova is there to lay down the law to them.

Not only that, I've noticed the tremendous pressure that Mao's countrymen/women put on her, judging by a majority of the posts I've read on the 'net, not only on her fan forum.

Mao, drop Japan & come to America ~ we will welcome you with OPEN ARMS!!!!!!!!

Yet that said, part of being a champion is being able to handle the pressure. I have faith that Mao can do so, as long as she skates for only one person ~ herself...

Nice to see the updates on Mao and Kim

Can we please have more practice reports about other skaters, like I don't know Brian Joubert, The Kerrs, and Nav/Bom, anybody please

PS what time does the skating start US time.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by katymay View Post
    Tragically, I believe she got hit with the puberty stick. Very sad when one remembers how wonderful she was a few years ago. The lightness, energy and power seem to be gone. It is a cruel sport.
    Damn, must be a terrible thing to grow up...

Going outside her comfort zone when it comes to music, during an Olympic Year no less, is part of this.
    How is Mao challenging herself music wise when her short program is almost a complete copy of her long program last year, and her long program is also very similar musically. I don't see that challenging herself at all.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Damn, must be a terrible thing to grow up...
    jee wiiz mao is doing fine; it is not like she has no triples lets come down on the puberty monster

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by enlight78 View Post
    jee wiiz mao is doing fine; it is not like she has no triples lets come down on the puberty monster
    kinda my point. And why is puberty a "monster" anyway? It's something that happens. One just has to adjust to it.

Lambiel is the best!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    How is Mao challenging herself music wise when her short program is almost a complete copy of her long program last year, and her long program is also very similar musically. I don't see that challenging herself at all.
    I only saw bits of her new LP from Japan Open on YouTube, but I thought that was an odd choice of music.

I don't know why they went with that particular piece (and their SP as well), but I think that is DEFINITELY A CHALLENGE for her to execute the programs that do not seem to highlight her usual bright, airy qualities, in an Olympic year, no less.

In my view, she is challenging herself to go out of her comfort zone, whether it was her decision or not.

However, technically though, not fixing her lutz and instead going a bit overboard with the triple axels seem more of a desperate last resort.
    Based on these clips of her underrotating or falling on 3A, that's a risky move.

Mao just seems a bit down on herself and tired, for some reason.
    Is that due to the puberty like some have said, or is she over trained and stressed out or something?

Whatever the situation is with her, I hope to see her smiling face soon.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast