Trophée Eric Bompard 2009 News and practice reports | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Trophée Eric Bompard 2009 News and practice reports

ks777

Record Breaker
I haven't really enjoyed Mao's programs since she went to Tarasova. I hate her long and SP as well. Tarasova definitely succeded if she was trying to ruin Mao's chances at Olympics.

Yuna will win this easily. Just no comparison.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
Mao trying the 3 axel in the short is a huge risk. I guess that is why she is pretty much skating last year's free program as her short, hoping that the muscle memory and comfort level of trying a 3 axel right off the top will help her chances. i don't love it, but don't hate it.

Yu-na's LP is a yawner. She is capable of so much more, as we saw in Sherezade. Sure, she was just doing a cut and dry practice, but I saw very little connection to the music as she had last year. I personally love the Allegro (the last part) of that concerto, so I am partial to it, but that footwork looked labored and slow and not as difficult as Mao's and some of the other ladies. If Yu-na win everything this season with the two programs she has got it will be a gift.

I'm laughing and shaking my head.
Has she skated her programs even once this season in a competition?
Ahm, NO.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I would deadly appreciate any news from Kostner, I can not even find a practice pic of her:cry:

come on, I don't need any more Yuna or Mao's news, pls give me some other skaters'~~

yes. I am eager to see how her summer with Frank Caroll has changed things.

gracefulswan

On the Ice
Oh my oh my, call me crazy but compared to Yuna's lifeless LP music, I actually prefer the Bells..:confused:
But her jumps look very very solid. On the other hand, the last triple axel in Mao's clip was UR'ed I think..

i'm surprised, also, by yuna's music. it's definitely nothing memorable either... much like mao's. i so much prefer joannie's piece, by far! i love her long program! i'm hoping that when yuna competes, it'll sparkle and become much more interesting.

Alicja

On the Ice
Oh my oh my, call me crazy but compared to Yuna's lifeless LP music, I actually prefer the Bells..:confused:

Lifeless? Maybe her practice performance was lifeless. But the music itself lifeless? Are you kidding me? If you meant that it had no story because Yuna didn't bother to show much expression at all, I'd agree. I reserve judgement until I see the actual pperformance and not just some jumps and steps on practice ice.

nylynnr

On the Ice
At the risk of incurring wrath, here is a brief report for the ladies short warm-up.

Once again, Yu-Na "won" the practice. She did a near-complete run-thru of her Bond program, complete with triple-triple and triple flip. Really like the little details in this program; especially connecting steps and turns. It comes across as glamorous, a true Bond girl.

Mao didn't include all her jumps in the run through, but outside "Masquerade," hit strong triple Axel-double toe ('Tano) combinations, triple loops and a few Lutzes. I wonder about the elaborate flowers on her pale acqua dress but prefer the overall ensemble to heavy black, the usual for this music.

For someone who said she was taking it relatively easy, Caroline Z. continues to impress in practices. Near complete run-through will all jumps. Especially nice loop. Looked (to me) as if she was skating a bit faster than last season. I actually think she looks more impressive than ever before.

Nakano didn't include jumps in her run-thru. Caroline K.'s steps looked terrific, although (again to my eyes) her Lutz looked shaky today. Always marvel at her speed.

jiggs

On the Ice
Caroline K.'s steps looked terrific, although (again to my eyes) her Lutz looked shaky today. Always marvel at her speed.

Thanks so much for also letting us know how other skaters are doing... so did Carolina do a tunthrough with jumps? Did she do a 3-3? aaaaah sorry I'm so curious ;)

nylynnr

On the Ice
Thanks so much for also letting us know how other skaters are doing... so did Carolina do a tunthrough with jumps? Did she do a 3-3? aaaaah sorry I'm so curious ;)

Caroline did not do a full run-thru with jumps. I didn't see a clean 3-3 but I may have missed it.

(FYI, I think one of the reasons folk write about Yu-Na so much, is she tends to do full run-thrus.)

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Yu-na's LP is a yawner. She is capable of so much more, as we saw in Sherezade. Sure, she was just doing a cut and dry practice, but I saw very little connection to the music as she had last year. I personally love the Allegro (the last part) of that concerto, so I am partial to it, but that footwork looked labored and slow and not as difficult as Mao's and some of the other ladies. If Yu-na win everything this season with the two programs she has got it will be a gift.

THANK YOU!!! I was so afraid to post my opinion about her new LP, but since I've finally read a post that agrees with me I might as well.

While it may have just been a practice run-through, from what I've seen so far I really don't think this program suits her. She appeared much slower than last year and didn't really seem to project as much as she used to. I really hope she's just saving all of the emotions and energy for the actual competition date, because so far I'm a little disappointed.

bmelanie

On the Ice
THANK YOU!!! I was so afraid to post my opinion about her new LP, but since I've finally read a post that agrees with me I might as well.

While it may have just been a practice run-through, from what I've seen so far I really don't think this program suits her. She appeared much slower than last year and didn't really seem to project as much as she used to. I really hope she's just saving all of the emotions and energy for the actual competition date, because so far I'm a little disappointed.

That's what I thought the first time I watched the LP too but now that I've watched it a couple more times it's actually growing on me. Yuna didn't do any choreo for some of the climax parts at all so I'm very curious to see how those will be done, and I do remember her saying in a recent interview that she's always wanted to try a quiet, understated program and this was her opportunity. I think she sometimes gets shtick for being melodramatic and overdone, and this is a great chance for her to show she can do understated power too. Like you said, she's capable of a great deal and she could have gone with a catchier choice for music, so I'm really quite impressed with her unconventional music choices this season, and in an olympic season no less! :clap:

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
That's what I thought the first time I watched the LP too but now that I've watched it a couple more times it's actually growing on me. Yuna didn't do any choreo for some of the climax parts at all so I'm very curious to see how those will be done, and I do remember her saying in a recent interview that she's always wanted to try a quiet, understated program and this was her opportunity. I think she sometimes gets shtick for being melodramatic and overdone, and this is a great chance for her to show she can do understated power too. Like you said, she's capable of a great deal and she could have gone with a catchier choice for music, so I'm really quite impressed with her unconventional music choices this season, and in an olympic season no less! :clap:

I think my main concern with Yuna's program it doesn't build to an obvious climax as Miss Saigon or Scheherazade did, programs that clearly worked for her given the scores that she got. Given the technical content she displayed, though, I'm sure she'll sail through these initial competitions.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think my main concern with Yuna's program it doesn't build to an obvious climax as Miss Saigon or Scheherazade did, programs that clearly worked for her given the scores that she got. Given the technical content she displayed, though, I'm sure she'll sail through these initial competitions.

Right. She will win on technical alone and the interpretation isn't that bad that she will get low PCS. I just feel like David Wilson could see that there is more to Gershwin than trying to do playful/sexy jazz poses at the end and the begining. Gershwin is so much more legit than most choreographers give him credit for.

SusieH

On the Ice
For those of you who don't know, the icenetwork reporter Lynn Rutherford is using twitter to offer some tidbits and practice reports: http://twitter.com/LynnRutherford

So Maria M is running a fever.:no: Poor girl. Hope she feels better soon.

Worried about Joubert (he didn't try many jumps in practice. What on earth is happening to his jumps?!). Very worried about Shabalin (OK, he's not at TEB, but she's mentioned him).

ETA: New twitter just in. It seems that Mao had a rough runthrough *worried* OK, maybe I shouldn't use "rough." It seems her other jumps were good, but 3As were just not there.

Last edited:

fourclover

On the Ice
I haven't really enjoyed Mao's programs since she went to Tarasova. I hate her long and SP as well. Tarasova definitely succeded if she was trying to ruin Mao's chances at Olympics.

Yuna will win this easily. Just no comparison.

How can you not like Mao's LP? I think it's the best program out there! I love Mao's costume as well. If skated clean, this program is a masterpiece. I'm a bit sick of Mao's SP since she skated it for her lp last year. But still it's interesting enough for a first time viewer.

Like I always said, Mao's team always comes up with the better program and costume to Yu-na's. I mean what was David Wilson thinking with Yu-na's LP????? It's a sleep inducer even for Yu-na.