Trophée Eric Bompard 2009 News and practice reports | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Trophée Eric Bompard 2009 News and practice reports

seniorita

Record Breaker
Or Jouby!!!
And how verner and ponsero were doing today, only news i ve read tonight were about Oda!

i love to skate

Medalist
Unfortunately, this thread will be about Mao and Yu-Na until somebody posts a practice report about the other ladies.

Why is only about the ladies? I for one can't wait to see V/M and D/D's programs. I'm also curious to see what Joubert has to offer this season! I love the first competitions of the season :)

*Sniper*

On the Ice
I don't want to sound all anti Mao in what I'm saying. Because I love Mao's skating. But I think there's a difference between challenging yourself, and making not great choices.

Yeah, I see what you mean. That's a valid point.

If Mao truly believes herself that these choices she and her team have made for this season are the best ones for her, then regardless of whether we the fans and the critics might view them as mistakes or not, I wish her the best of luck.

But somehow I just get the impression that she might not be all that happy with the current circumstances.

I don't know.... we will know soon enough.

And sorry, folks. This was another Mao / Yuna post.

feraina

Record Breaker
At this rate it's not clear Mao will win the silver. Which begs the question even more, why aren't their more practice reports/videos of the other ladies who might have a good chance of medaling? Not to mention the other disciplines, indeed!

I looooove Mao, but I can't decide which I want more: for Mao to go to a new coach, or for Caroline to go to a new coach. They both need it desperately. I'm so upset with how Tarasova has been managing Mao's programs and training last season and this. Mao, bring back at least one of those 3-3's, and stick with one 3A, you had much better success rates on the 3-3, and the much riskier 2 3A-layout doesn't even bring you extra base TES! And those programs. Argh. Bells for LP, okay, but please, swap Masquerade for Caprice for the short. Oh, please, please. It would just be amazing!

SusieH

On the Ice
report from icenetwork

sorry, still very Yu-na heavy! but at least the first part is about Caroline [Zhang] :)

according to the reporter's twitter, "Adam Rippon's 3A is very sharp." Good for him! :agree:

ETA: Jumping on the bandwagon for petitioning to substitute Caprice for Masquerade! I love Caprice.:love: I liked Masquerade just fine. I just don’t particularly want to see it again, and Caprice is so gorgeous!

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Loved YuNa's program, and she is in great form. She really has beautiful jumps. I really like how she maintains her flow going into and coming out of her jumps, so pleasing to the eye. I like the choreo and music in her program it is playful and engaging. A nice change. Of course YuNa makes it all look so easy. :bow:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I've been looking around for the full schedule, including practice sessions (I know I saw it somewhere, but can't find it now). This is the only thing I could find thus far:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpfra09/index.htm

Time Schedule
(Local Time, GMT +01:00)

Date Time Category Segment
10/16/2009
14:00:00 Ice Dance Compulsory Dance
15:20:00 Men Short Program
17:15:00 Pairs Short Program
18:40:00 Ladies Short Program
20:20:00 Ice Dance Original Dance
10/17/2009
13:30:00 Men Free Skating
15:45:00 Pairs Free Skating
18:25:00 Ladies Free Skating
20:15:00 Ice Dance Free Dance

Looking at the schedule, Paris is 9 hrs. ahead of me, so I need to get up extra extra early to watch the CDs for dance. I'm not sure I can do that, but the ladies is perfect timing. I just wish icenetwork was able to show today's practices.

Regards the discussion about Mao, I'm glad that she's sticking with her guns, keeping the same FS jump layout as last year. Not trying anything too far out during this Olympic Season. Rather, I hope to see her gain consistency on the jumps she's been doing since last season, and now this season as well. This should help her to become consistent with these jumps. Now is not the time to change programs, jumps, et al. Btw, I must be the only person that honestly does not care for the Caprice program, never have, too cutsie pie for me. Rather, I like the music of Masquerade Waltz & The Bells of Moscow. Just my own personal preference. :)

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
OK that is it, where is a mod, I am creating a Mao vs. Kim thread and everybody who wants to debate GO THERE !!! Leave this thread for discussion on all of the other skaters.

R.D.

Record Breaker
OK that is it, where is a mod, I am creating a Mao vs. Kim thread and everybody who wants to debate GO THERE !!! Leave this thread for discussion on all of the other skaters.

:confused: this is a practice reports thread, no? and the only full-length practices that have been posted so far are Asada's and Kim's. So it would be quite reasonable that most discussion would center on those two skaters?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Mao trying the 3 axel in the short is a huge risk. I guess that is why she is pretty much skating last year's free program as her short, hoping that the muscle memory and comfort level of trying a 3 axel right off the top will help her chances. i don't love it, but don't hate it.

Yu-na's LP is a yawner. She is capable of so much more, as we saw in Sherezade. Sure, she was just doing a cut and dry practice, but I saw very little connection to the music as she had last year. I personally love the Allegro (the last part) of that concerto, so I am partial to it, but that footwork looked labored and slow and not as difficult as Mao's and some of the other ladies. If Yu-na win everything this season with the two programs she has got it will be a gift.

Okami

On the Ice
:confused: this is a practice reports thread, no? and the only full-length practices that have been posted so far are Asada's and Kim's. So it would be quite reasonable that most discussion would center on those two skaters?

Exactly. I think that if cloudkicker really wants to discuss other skaters, he/she should provide news that are discussion-worthy instead of creating a topic with a title that just asks for Mao/YuNa bots to have a major catfight with each other (instead of simply commenting on what happened in the clips). I'm not interested in "MAO VS KIM" epic fight of DOOM. Commenting on the music choices/programs - yes, just as I'm interested in other skaters programs.

It's not that people do not want to discuss other skaters - it's just that the Japanese/Korean media are reporting only about Mao/Yuna so far (plus the articles about Nobunari that I posted). Unless someone is particularly gifted at divination, I don't think how we can comment on other skaters now. :p

Tinymavy said:
If Yu-na win everything this season with the two programs she has got it will be a gift.

More like the best strategy. She concentrated on one thing that scores the most - jumps. Footwork will probably get lvl3, same as Mao (the footwork requirements are just messed up, with lvl3 being easy to get and lvl4 nearly impossible). (BTW YuNa's SP was not debuted yet, I think?)

evangeline

Record Breaker
Yu-na's LP is a yawner. She is capable of so much more, as we saw in Sherezade. Sure, she was just doing a cut and dry practice, but I saw very little connection to the music as she had last year. I personally love the Allegro (the last part) of that concerto, so I am partial to it, but that footwork looked labored and slow and not as difficult as Mao's and some of the other ladies. If Yu-na win everything this season with the two programs she has got it will be a gift.

I do agree Yu-Na's LP looked a bit flat in the practice video, but I'm hoping that was just because it was a practice run-through.

I do miss her Lark Ascending LP, though.

shallwedansu

On the Ice
If Yu-na win everything this season with the two programs she has got it will be a gift.
Or how about she actually earns it??

I know everyone has their own favorites and are biased, but can we hold off on the gift giving accusations until the scores come out? Geez! You haven't even seen the SP and you're already making claims about winning based on gifts. :rolleye:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Mao trying the 3 axel in the short is a huge risk. I guess that is why she is pretty much skating last year's free program as her short, hoping that the muscle memory and comfort level of trying a 3 axel right off the top will help her chances. i don't love it, but don't hate it.

There were reports at official practices of Yu-na looking flat last year too. She reportedly is one of those who saves it for the competition and never or rarely really brings it at the competition practice ice.

I suspect that Yu-na has by the time of the competition already done her full run throughs and practiced really performing her program. And so when she gets to the competition ice, she's a lot more concerned with figuring out with getting use to the ice and figuring out where she wants to put a particular jump/spin. Its hard to decide these things if your actually focusing on performing too. So it seems like for the most part she chooses not to focus so much on performing. I actually wondered if we were really seeing all of her footwork too.

I'm not saying that her program will be great, but I'm merely suggesting that we wait and see what Yu-na looks like on Saturday.

Last edited:

harmy18

Rinkside
I would deadly appreciate any news from Kostner, I can not even find a practice pic of her:cry:

come on, I don't need any more Yuna or Mao's news, pls give me some other skaters'~~

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
can't give what there isn't. most of us are like you - anxiously awaiting more, but we rely on what the media provides.