Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: JGP Istanbul, Turkey 2009

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    The Turkish girl has pretty good skating skills, the footwork was great! Infectious smile, too.
    she is only 13 and she works really hard.2 or 3 years ago she skated with Biellmann for a tv show

Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    Kiri reminded me a LOT of Sasha at a young age. Well done

Wow, I love Kiri Baga, she's so wonderful! I think she just cemented herself as my favorite U.S. junior ladies skater. She has such wonderful presentation, lines, stretch, big solid smooth jumps, musicality, spins, spirals, and that precious "it" factor! She's going to help the U.S. be well-positioned for Sochi, along with the skaters 2 or 3 years older than her (Mirai & Caroline will be 19, Rachael 20, Ashley 21).

I think she must have gotten high positive GOE's for all of her elements, and high levels for all the spins and spirals. I loved the footwork out of the 3S-2T (which was so big and smooth!), it was musical and expressive and it looked like she was launching straight into her step sequence, but no, it was just bonus transition footwork into her combo spin. And that 3F was so solid and had such great flow and no hesitation at all -- she definitely doesn't let it show that it's only the second competition that she's using it. She's just so delightful. I can't stop gushing. A very well deserved 58 for her SP!

Quote Originally Posted by HCOSurfer View Post
    Kiri reminded me a LOT of Sasha at a young age. Well done
    Oh, yes, good point. I can see the resemblance, too. Although I think Kiri skates with a "softer" style than Sasha, and also has better edging than Sasha did at that age. Also, Kiri has more intricate footwork and choreography, but that may be more a function of the judging system having changed than anything else.

Banned
    Is Tugby(?) the reason Turkey is broadcasting all sorts of skating events including this obscure JGP event?

Quote Originally Posted by lakeshore View Post
    Is Tugby(?) the reason Turkey is broadcasting all sorts of skating events including this obscure JGP event?
    I'm sure having a senior skater at top level of competition helps with the popularity of the sport. But Turkey also has three entries in this JGP event! I've also heard that skating was often shown on Turkish TV even before Tugby caught on international attention. Is that true?

Banned
    I'm surprised they're still streaming it. Is this the replay? Unfortunately, we can't rewind the tape and have to sit throught lots of painful skating until getting to the skater you'd like to watch.

Wow,just saw an Indian girl. Well, at least she's a HUGE improvement over this Indian pair two years ago.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSV0Ei8GlsU[/url]
    Last edited by lakeshore; 10-15-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: indian

Oh, I feel really bad for the Indian girl. She looked petrified when she came on the ice, and worse when she got off... and shell-shocked when she saw her score. 4.07 for TES and 7.07 for PCS. Minus 1 for the fall. Yikes. Can she even do doubles? Why did India send someone so unprepared, even for "experience"? I hope this experience doesn't discourage her too much!

Banned
    Looks like judges really like the Chinese boy, Han Yan. He scored 61 pts despite popping a 2a and nearly tripping over during step sequence.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    I'm sure having a senior skater at top level of competition helps with the popularity of the sport. But Turkey also has three entries in this JGP event! I've also heard that skating was often shown on Turkish TV even before Tugby caught on international attention. Is that true?
    yes,it is true European Champ,World Champ,Olympics was always shown on TV (TRT),but sometimes they don't show "live" because of the Grand National Assembly of Turkey's coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by tuggy-fan View Post
    yes,it is true European Champ,World Champ,Olympics was always shown on TV (TRT),but sometimes they don't show "live" because of the Grand National Assembly of Turkey's coverage.
    Yup, and I also heard that Argentine tango, my other passion, is very popular in Turkey. I love your countrymen, you have good taste.

Quote Originally Posted by tuggy-fan View Post
    [url]http://www.trt.net.tr/Canli/anasayfa.aspx?kanal=TV3&slv=0[/url]

you can watch ladies short programs,now

after ladies,you also can watch boys short programs
    I missed this kind and important information Will they stream the FPs tonight? I really want to watch Kiri Baga.

Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    I missed this kind and important information Will they stream the FPs tonight? I really want to watch Kiri Baga.
    Her SP was recently uploaded onto youtube:
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sYoOHUntdU[/url]

Medalist
    I missed boys short programs Are there any youtube clips about boys??

Quote Originally Posted by HCOSurfer View Post
    Her SP was recently uploaded onto youtube:
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sYoOHUntdU[/url]
    Wow, thank you sooooo much! I've enjoyed her skating. She is great in all elements. Her sit spin is really deep.

I have a ticket for the last day of JGPF(the last day is for Jr. ladies FP), so if she performes her LP like SP, I'm sure I can see her at JGPF!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast