Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Domnina/Shablin withdraw from NHK

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    It's always ironic, IMO, when a poster defends a skater or team by attacking another poster.

Lots of skaters and teams are unpopular. Get used to it. The boards are full of criticism and different opinions, and that's what makes them interesting.

Fights between posters, on the other hand, are pretty boring. :sheesh:

Medalist
    I apologize for the very confrontational tone of my post. Will try to keep my emotions in check, even if it is in defense of favourite skaters.

But I maintain that sometimes the tone when talking about DomShabs can get very frustrating for someone who likes them. Criticizing them for obvious weaknesses in their skating, program choices they make (believe me, I'm tired of the endless Dramatik!Programs! as well ) is one thing. Being deeply offended that they dare exist is another. OTOH, it is ice dance and the discussion therefore even more heated because the discipline is so deeply subjective. As my outbursts prove.

And I guess that some of the vitriol hurled at them comes with the territory of being the No. 1 Russian dance team. Beating North American teams, too. And perhaps difference in culture? I'm European and perhaps more receptive to their concept of presentation and artistry? I often read criticism of their exaggerated gestures, heavy music, agression etc. And while, yeah, they could be more varied in their musical selection, they pull off those heavy themes very convincingly IMO. Contrast that for example with Mao who to me looks absolutely smothered by her programs. DomShabs OTOH command the ice.

About the injuries, no, it's never said in so many words, but here in this thread and in the Dance thread in the general forum several posters said they wouldn't be sad if DomShabs don't skate this season. As Medusa said, what else does it imply but wishing that Maxim's injury doesn't get better? (And no, IMO it's not the same at all as saying that you don't care for their style. His injury problems are well known. What else would them missing the season mean but that his knees haven't gotten better?) Now, I personally sometimes find V/M, their fake lovey-dovey-ness and Tracy Wilson endlessly declaring them the next T/D rather tiresome. Doesn't mean that I was glad that Tessa missed a lot of last season because of injury. These are all very dedicated and hard-working athletes.
    Last edited by katha; 11-03-2009 at 03:10 AM.

Custom Title
    Is Maxim injured again? I really hope they come back strong!
    It's always sad to see skaters / ice dancers drop out because of injury.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by katha View Post
    About the injuries, no, it's never said in so many words, but here in this thread and in the Dance thread in the general forum several posters said they wouldn't be sad if DomShabs don't skate this season. As Medusa said, what else does it imply but wishing that Maxim's injury doesn't get better? Now, I personally sometimes find V/M, their fake lovey-dovey-ness and Tracy Wilson endlessly declaring them the next T/D rather tiresome. Doesn't mean that I was glad that Tessa missed a lot of last season because of injury. These are all very dedicated and hard-working athletes.
    I don't see that. Especially in context.

Let say that instead of saying "If they don't skate this season, I wouldn't miss them," someone said "I have no interest in their style or programs and as a result find nothing noteworthy about them." What's the difference?

On cloud nine and refusing to come down!
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I don't see that. Especially in context.

Let say that instead of saying "If they don't skate this season, I wouldn't miss them," someone said "I have no interest in their style or programs and as a result find nothing noteworthy about them." What's the difference?
    I'm with ImaginaryPogue on that. I don't think any figure skating uber fan could possibly be so vicious as to wish a skater never recovers fully/ gets injured. As fans, we know how hard skaters work and we respect that, regardless of whether they're our favourites or not (well if you don't, you're really narrow-minded imo). Saying that they don't care whether they skate or not probably means that he/she isn't interested in their programmes.

I'm no DomShabs fan and am also miffed at the judging at Worlds but I wish them all the best (I don't blame them for the results last year; I blame the judges)! I'm really curious about their OD though! Hopefully, we'll get some vids from Russian Nats and Europeans.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Eszterbeszti View Post
    Why absurd? Bigdeal see them weak.
    Why absurd? It's the way I see it. Don't impose your ideas on me, please.

Custom Title
    That's what Oksana wrote in her blog:

About missing Grand Prix:
    "We arrived in Moscow a week before the Grand Prix and decided that since we are at home, Maxim should visit his doctor. The doctors said that if we want to compete at the Olympics, we have to be careful now. So we decided to take a break. Maxim, of course, was disappointed. Me and our coaches thought he would say: "No! I will skate! ", as it was last year, but this time he decided to miss Grand Prix.
    Of course there is nothing good about it. First, we need to show our new programs to judges, but I think we will do it at the European Championships. Second, we need to compete before the Olympics."

About new programs:
    "Our original dance is very "original". The music, the costumes - everything is new and not typical for us, but we like it very much.
    For the free dance we chose the music from one not well known movie. And we also used the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack, but it's not the main theme of our free dance. We will try to tell a story about love between men and women"

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
    Why absurd? It's the way I see it. Don't impose your ideas on me, please.
    Well, I see your point of view, and I wrote it because I was thinking about your opinion and tried to persuade you. I accept your opinion if you think that way it's your choice.

Custom Title
    I truly truly hope that all the teams gets back on their feet and are ready to compete at the Olympics. That competition should be about the best from that cycle, going up against each other, on the biggest stage. Having all of the best can only be good for the sport. I hope Shabalin is getting the best care he can for his poor knees so that we can see them all go for it at least more time. Winner by no show is not the same thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2