How to get in shape after some years off ice? | Golden Skate

How to get in shape after some years off ice?

Charlotte Elizabeth

On the Ice
I was doing figure skating for 6 years ( from when I was 10 to 16) and than gave up because of injuries and weight loss. I still have the same passion for skating and would like to get into my previous shape. I'm now 21. I periodically skated last 5 years but just once a year approximately. Now I want to skate weekly and really work as I used to. I did practice session yesterday for an hour and was enjoying it at first but got terribly tired and dizzy (probably because of layback spin) by the end of it. I got back all the single jumps and even tried double toe loop. It was underotated mostly but I once got it right. I can't do sit spin probably because my musculs are not strong enough anymore. I would really like to get my doubles back and make nice spins again. I'm still flexible and if I work enough I think I can try even bielman spin!
What would you reccomend me to do to get into shape again?How can I regain what I was capable of doing? I love skating so much I would do anything! :yes: :love:

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
yeah, there is nothing like skating. When I was skating 5 days a week 2 hours a day it didn't relly feel like I was doing that much but wow, when I took off and tried to skate again I realized how tough this sport is. I have not really found anything that imitates the motions of skating off-ice. All the cardio and weight training I do uses completely different muscles. Of course all this will help your strength and stamina though.

I would just to to get on the ice as much as possible. Take it slow and really try to work your technique otherwise you will "get your jumps back" but they will not be good or consistent. Throughly stretch after each practice session and you should be taking an hour or so to stretch at least 3 days a week.

Good luck!

Charlotte Elizabeth

On the Ice
Thank you very much, Tinymavy! :)
I will try my hardest. I also think that stretching and just being active in life can definately help! I will have to be careful with the technick too, it's truly important.
I wish you goodluck for you skating too!