Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Olympic Medals Revealed...Thoughts?

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

2010 Olympic Medals Revealed...Thoughts?

Well folks, here they are! Our 2010 Vancouver Olympic medals have been unveiled - Not crazy about design.

http://bing.search.sympatico.ca/?q=g...&setLang=en-CA

Any thoughts? Do you like them or hate them?

Down With It
    Better than the "donuts" they had in Torino, that's for sure!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Better than the "donuts" they had in Torino, that's for sure!
    But I loved the donuts! Maybe it's just that I'm a fat kid at heart, but I felt that they were by far the most memorable medals in recent memory.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SerpentineSteps View Post
    But I loved the donuts! Maybe it's just that I'm a fat kid at heart, but I felt that they were by far the most memorable medals in recent memory.
    yeah me to. I did not like them at first, but grew to love them very quickly. I hate these "potato chip" medals though. They look like those mistakes we made in high school ceramics class.

I am in love with the design! There is so much meaning behind the design. Here is the video that describes the design and the one that was played as they were revealed:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkQsXls7m0o

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    I am in love with the design! There is so much meaning behind the design. Here is the video that describes the design and the one that was played as they were revealed:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkQsXls7m0o
    I think the medals are beautiful. Would have loved to have one...in which sport..hm..what was I good at...actually no winter sport, but if girls could have played hockey in my time then that would have been it :chorus:

Ladskater: I don't see the medals from your link

Custom Title
    It's a bit too politically correct to my taste. It probably doesn't matter what I feel though. For each athlete who earns his/her medal, it is the most beautiful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CARA View Post
    It's a bit too politically correct to my taste. It probably doesn't matter what I feel though. For each athlete who earns his/her medal, it is the most beautiful thing.
    Just curious...what do you mean that it is too politically correct?

Custom Title

2010 Olympic Medals Revealed...Thoughts?

My first impression is that they look bent like they were run over by a truck and someone said, "this looks artistic"!

Dizzy

Custom Title
    i love to skate:

It probably reveals more of my bias against "political-correct-thought-police" than about the artists who collaborated in creating these medals. I see they are beautiful representations of Vancouver, and I have no doubt about the sincerely of collaboraters.

My suspicion is directed toward the selection processof the artist. For instance, the original art is based on two large master artworks of an orca whale (Olympic) and raven (Paralympic) by Corrine Hunt, a Canadian designer/artist of Komoyue and Tlingit heritage based in Vancouver, BC.

I doubt she was the only artists bidding for the contract, as it would be a huge honor for being selected to be the modal artist. I'm wondering who else were among considerations but were rejected.

The emphasis on the nature, environment, and native art reveal the values and priorities of the selection committee. Perhaps I am reacting to the current (in my mind, too much emphasis) on environmentalism and global warming hysteria to the extent some almost elevate them to religion.

Quote Originally Posted by CARA View Post
    i love to skate:

It probably reveals more of my bias against "political-correct-thought-police" than about the artists who collaborated in creating these medals. I see they are beautiful representations of Vancouver, and I have no doubt about the sincerely of collaboraters.

My suspicion is directed toward the selection processof the artist. For instance, the original art is based on two large master artworks of an orca whale (Olympic) and raven (Paralympic) by Corrine Hunt, a Canadian designer/artist of Komoyue and Tlingit heritage based in Vancouver, BC.

I doubt she was the only artists bidding for the contract, as it would be a huge honor for being selected to be the modal artist. I'm wondering who else were among considerations but were rejected.

The emphasis on the nature, environment, and native art reveal the values and priorities of the selection committee. Perhaps I am reacting to the current (in my mind, too much emphasis) on environmentalism and global warming hysteria to the extent some almost elevate them to religion.
    Thank you for your well written post! It's always nice to read some different points of view. There was a contest where artists from Canada and the World could submit their designs for the medals. Here is a story I could find about it:
    http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic...s_37834eL.html

Custom Title
    Thanks for your kind words, i love to skate. I'll be sure to check up on your link.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzydi7 View Post
    My first impression is that they look bent like they were run over by a truck and someone said, "this looks artistic"!

Dizzy
    Sad to admit but ditto..

Custom Title
    I love them! So pretty!

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Just curious...what do you mean that it is too politically correct?
    Just about everything linked to our Olympics is designed by or has something to do with Native (aboriginal) art, including these medals. They are designed by two aboriginal artists. Probably this is what is meant by "politically correct."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast