Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2010 Olympic Medals Revealed...Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    Just about everything linked to our Olympics is designed by or has something to do with Native (aboriginal) art, including these medals. They are designed by two aboriginal artists. Probably this is what is meant by "politically correct."
    From the atrocious way Native people have been treated over the decades by governments I see no problem in celebrating their history. Their culture and artwork deserves recognition and I think it is wonderful it is being used.

I love the design?!? But then again, I also enjoy watching Joubert skate.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    From the atrocious way Native people have been treated over the decades by governments I see no problem in celebrating their history. Their culture and artwork deserves recognition and I think it is wonderful it is being used.
    Well, that is one way to look at it...however, British Columbia and Canada for that matter was largely settled by Scots, Irish, British and of course the French, where is our mention at the Games? - Just a thought...

Well, that is one way to look at it...however, British Columbia and Canada for that matter was largely settled by Scots, Irish, British and of course the French, where is our mention at the Games? - Just a thought...
    The Games are going to be Bilingual so I think that is a great statement about our history. The European aspects are found in things such as the building designs and how the medals are made. There will also be all sorts of culture on display during the Cultural Olympiad that will represent our large multicultural society. There have been so many games which have displayed the European culture so I think it is neat to have a Games that focuses on the Aboriginal culture. I find it unique.

I am just a stupid European, but isn't your culture everywhere? Or is the city of Vancouver built in the style of the Native People? Aren't the major languages in your country English and French, aren't most people in your country Christian? Aren't you using the Latin alphabet everywhere?

Canada's history with it's Native People is a lot less violent than the US counterpart, but there were still assimilation programs, with the intention to assimilate the Native people into the "European" culture.

So I get why officials would like to celebrate the ancient history of the continent..

Custom Title
    I like the idea of introducing BC's native culture to the world. Yes, I am of European descent, but something that makes Vancouver and BC unique from the rest of the world is our First Nations people. Personally, I love driving below Marine Drive from West Van to North Van through the reserve, just to see some of the artwork and to see signs in their own language (I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know what it's called). The Native culture that exists here is unique to this area, and I see it as a great thing to expose the rest of world to.

In response the the post about language...
    According to my (Canadian) textbook, more Manitobans (sp?) speak Cree than British Columbians speak French. I thought that was interesting!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2