MAO VS KIM: Let's keep it clean folks !!! | Golden Skate

MAO VS KIM: Let's keep it clean folks !!!

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Okay since it seems that every other thread ESPECIALLY the practice reports thread has been hijacked by this debate. SO all Kim vs Mao, practice reports, opinons, discussion goes here !!

One last thing folks, let's keep it civil and clean.

herios

Medalist
Let me start first, as a not regular on the Mao vs Yu Na debate, I rarely post anyway..
I can see what the strategy is here in Mao's SP, to get a cushion over Yu Na with a 3 axel combo. She takes on a major risk, because with no combo, (in case she falls), she could end up way down the pack at the Olympics. That is my opinion, it could be a make it or break it type of element.

What is the success ratio in her 3 axel attempts anyway?

evangeline

Record Breaker
What is the success ratio in her 3 axel attempts anyway?

If I recall correctly from last season, I think it's mostly landing the second 3A back-to-back after the first that gives her the most problems.

But either way, the 3A is still a very risky element for her....

bmelanie

On the Ice
I know practice and real performances are different but Yuna seemed damn solid on each and all of her jumps in that practice clip (someone mentioned UR? Can't say I really noticed) - she looked a little tired but the elements were there and they were executed with confidence, which really impressed me.
I think someone said in the other thread that Mao's spin leading into one of the jumps was great, and I have to agree, it was fierce and intense - but aside from that I honestly haven't been blown away by the most recent clips of her. The Japan Open FS was a bit of a mess (Masquerade debut all over again for me) and the 3As didn't look any steadier in the practice clips either.
I am very happy that she switched the Masquerade into a SP, I think that was definitely a good choice, the intensity and power is much better suited to the short - but 'Bells'? Seriously? At least last season it was balanced out with 'Clair de Lune' as the quieter, less overt program and with 'Masquerade' going all out, but this season they're both as heavy as heck :( thoughts?

fourclover

On the Ice
As expected, I LOVE Mao's new dresses (both of them yeah!) and her LP music and program. Am so disappointed with Yu-na's dresses and program music. Mao's camp was ALWAYS better at coming up with more interesting music, program and costume in my opinion with the exception of last year.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
If I recall correctly from last season, I think it's mostly landing the second 3A back-to-back after the first that gives her the most problems.

But either way, the 3A is still a very risky element for her....

Yep. It's either going to get close to Kim or dropped her like 10 points behind. There are so many scenerios, and making me nervous.
3A (landed, no combo - 3GOE) 5.2
3A+2T (clean landing) 8.2
3A< (+ or 1GOE) +-3.5
3A (fall -3GOE) 5.2 - 1 deduction
3A< and fall - less than 1 point

I'm wondering if Mao miss the 2T that was supposed to be with 3A, can she put it behind her 3F?? since both 3A and 2A are totally different jump.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Yep. It's either going to get close to Kim or dropped her like 10 points behind. There are so many scenerios, and making me nervous.
3A (landed, no combo - 3GOE) 5.2
3A+2T (clean landing) 8.2
3A< (+ or 1GOE) +-3.5
3A (fall -3GOE) 5.2 - 1 deduction
3A< and fall - less than 1 point

I'm wondering if Mao miss the 2T that was supposed to be with 3A, can she put it behind her 3F?? since both 3A and 2A are totally different jump.

Also don't forget that time when she landed her axel and then laserbeamed the audience with her magical wand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7aee0-HDdE