Compulsory Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Compulsory Dance

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Who said V/M were overscored? And who said they weren't wonderful? And the turn in the dance is supposed to be fast.

V/M were definitely the best and I think they will have no problem winning this event. I loved the Kerrs waltz, thought they captured the waltz feel the best actually. I agree with the standings here.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Oh, I see that now. Must have missed it the first time around. I haven't seen the protocols so I don't know if it's overscored. Obviously the judges liked what they saw. And I thought it looked beautiful although honestly I thought the Kerrs captured the waltz feel better.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
My commentary is my opinion (and at that, without instant replay)...it is worth what you paid for it, which is, of course, exactly nothing. And it's based on my icenetwork feed, which is pretty good this year, but not like being there. There is absolutely no reason anyone should agree with me on it.

However, I still stand by it--I really did not like the stiff self conscious way Tessa does that solo turn every time. Contrast it to how Nathalie does that turn..somehow it just does not seem right to me.

And I still feel that the Kerr's got the character of the dance a lot better than any other team, which surprised me, since V&M have always done a very nice waltzy waltz. (For example their Valse Triste FD) Perhaps I was expecting too much from them too early in the season.

I have no problem with their being in 1st place after the CD, however. And I expect they will easily win this event.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I just finished watching the CDs from fsvids, and contrary to the "commentary" posted here, I thought V/M were wonderful. Some places they captured the character better than other spots, and there was nothing wrong with Tessa's solo turn. It's not meant to be done as a fast twizzle.

Klimova/Ponomarenko's Original Set Pattern Dance was one of the greatest Waltzes ever created - light, frothy, very quick, and full of steps, incredibly technically difficult, yet always romantic in feel and character. Marina's turns were smooth and light as a feather.

Considering Doris has been watching live icedancing at World level for decades, I certainly value her opinion, and appreciate her instant reports, to share with those of us who don't have access. :agree:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Actually, K&P introduced the Golden Waltz as an OSP in the 1986/1987 season. They skated it at Worlds in Cincinnati in 2007. I was lucky enough to see this live, and it is a treasured, treasured memory. Lovely, light as air, romantic & frothy...Totally wonderful...:love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFvE...2D0CA915&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=28

This is not a great quality clip, but you can see how smoothly you are supposed to glide down and up into the shoot the duck, and also how the solo turn is supposed to work, spinning smoothly into that back dip (so waltz romantick :love: )

BTW, waltz, romantic (not gothick novel) predatory, is supposed to be the mood and character of this dance.

Last edited: