Mens Short Program | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Mens Short Program

ae9177

On the Ice
I'm so happy for Tomas! :clap: I hope he can finally skate two clean programs back-to-back. :bow: Awesome music, lovely costume, beautiful quad! He still needs to work on his spins, but he'll get there.

Good for Nobu, he'll be a strong medal contender this season. Don't care about this SP too much, I like his LP more, can't wait to see it tomorrow.

Program wise, I enjoyed Ponsero's the best. What a cutie.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so happy for Tomas! :clap: I hope he can finally skate two clean programs back-to-back. :bow: Awesome music, lovely costume, beautiful quad! He still needs to work on his spins, but he'll get there.

I agree! I so hope he skates great! Verner for the win!!! :love:

Good for Nobu, he'll be a strong medal contender this season. Don't care about this SP too much, I like his LP more, can't wait to see it tomorrow.

Yes, go Nobu! Skate great! :clap:

Program wise, I enjoyed Ponsero's the best. What a cutie.

Yes, if cuteness won medals, Yannick would be on every medal podium there is! I hope he manages to keep his cute bum off the ice for all of his competitions this season. :bow::love:

ae9177

On the Ice
Yes, if cuteness won medals, Yannick would be on every medal podium there is! I hope he manages to keep his cute bum off the ice for all of his competitions this season. :bow::love:

Agree!! :laugh: Tomas also should've made every podium of cuteness competition. :clap:

I love his quote regarding starting the SP with 4-3:
"I'm not afraid to start my program with a quadruple jump because Zorba wouldn't be afraid to"

How could somebody be so hot and so cute at the same time? :love:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I really didnt see it that way but maybe you are right:yes:, I didnt see him as someone who dances to the music, I had the image that he was supposed to impersonate Zorba personality himself and the history behind this music and the costume looked like a navy thing out of place..Now i got the image;)

To me Zorba is a happy dance. And Zorba himself was? Some freedom fighter? I think Zorba music played a role in the seventies when the Greece people was fighting against dictatorship. I have not seen the film and have very diffuse knowledge about Zorba. As said, it is just music to me, often people standing in a ring dancing with each other. Maybe Zorba means something deeper for you?

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Starting orders are up for the long program, Brian is first to skate in the last group. Good or Bad?

Who knows. I expect a messy skate from him.

Verner, I wouldn't even try to predict. Will prob land the first 3 jumping passes, and after that.....

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Verner, I wouldn't even try to predict. Will prob land the first 3 jumping passes, and after that.....

Be optimistic, don't you be a grumpy, when the road gets bumpy, just smile, smile, smile, and be happy, wearing a long face is never in style, be optimistic, and smile! :p:biggrin:

I hope Verner can channel his 2007 Worlds LP, but without the fall on the last 3flip. GO TOMAS!!!:love::bow::clap:

Okami

On the Ice
"A happy smile after performance turned into bitter tears."
http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/09...0043001-n1.htm
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000639-san-spo
According to those two articles Nobunari couldn't hold back tears after going out of KnC. He worked very hard to improve his speed, skating skills and expression to boost his PCS, but he feels that he failed himself. :( Nobu's goal was to achieve 7s on his PCS components. He plans to include a quad in his FS to cling to the podium.

The 1st article also mentions that some of the lights accidentally went out during Nobunari's SP, but he was so concentrated on his performance that he didn't notice anything.

I was very satisfied after Nobunari's SP (and I think the scores were to be expected after the mishaps at 4CC and Worlds, but as Marco said above, liable to get higher if a silver or gold was gained here) but now I'm afraid he'll mess up the LP because of nerves... :cry:

lmarie086

Medalist

Thanks Hsuhs! He skated at the first competition of the season last year too, and what a difference a year makes. Great job! I love how he beams after landing the 3A. The free leg was a little low, but still a good job and love the double 'Tano lutz! So cool! Hope he does well in the free.

Now off to watch Verner (so glad he's in the lead!) and to find Yannick...

merrybari

Final Flight
Some general observations after reading my way through this very interesting thread.

Brian: I think he looked tired and even bored with this program - and well he should be skating it for so long. I think he'd've been better served with a new SP. Maybe he'll do better with his new FS tomorrow but it could go either way. 1- he's so upset with his SP he'll let his head get in the way. OR 2) he'll be so upset with his SP it'll fuel his fire to do better. Now, wasn't THAT a bright observation. :laugh:

Adam: He's a fresh burst of joy and energy into this field of mostly veterans. To me, he was really the only one out there who was enjoying himself and it sure showed in his skating. That pulls me in more than anything else. Not to mention it was a clean, well-delivered, energetic skate! Glad to see him given the scores he deserved!

Tomas: When he's on he's very good. But is also very inconsistent and tends to tire in the FS. We'll know tomorrow if he's turned this tendency around. Maybe it was smart of him to make the GP his FIRST of the year instead of a trial run at an earlier competition as in the past. Oh, I'm not fond of the costume either, but it would be better without the floaty material on the one sleeve. That was very distracting to me.

Oda: I'm not fond of this program or the music. Too ponderous. Plus I'm afraid his emotions will forever and always get the best of him unless he can rein them in a bit. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Bradley: Has the "it" factor for entertainment most of the time, but I felt even that was missing today. He didn't look glad to be there when he took the ice. Felt the performance was forced. His jumps when he does them are so big but his other elements just don't measure up. Not even a 6 among them. Can't help but wonder why his coaching team isn't picking up on that or bringing in someone who can help.

Ponsero, Preaubert:. Too inconsistent to know what to expect. Have potential but usually manage to shoot themselves in the foot somehow. Voronov too, for me anyway.

Was surprised the Chipeur didn't do better. He seemed really out of control today. Hope for better tomorrow.

Liebers, Yang & Fernandez: I think they were all just glad to be there and get the experience.

All this points to is the beginning of what will be - as has been said right along - a VERY interesting and unpredictable season for the men. Really eager to see how each will respond to his performance today in what they bring to the ice tomorrow.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I think Oda was unfortunate that he had to skate quite early, but I think that the result is okay this way. I wouldn't have wanted Oda in front of Verner without a 4-3, despite Verner's low levels on the spins. That just wouldn't be fair - and not good for the sport.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Tomas: Oh, I'm not fond of the costume either, but it would be better without the floaty material on the one sleeve. That was very distracting to me.

I just noticed that part when I watched a higher quality video of the performance. Indeed, it is out of place.

Also - it seems like several people are trying to be cowboy-ish this year.

I blame Samuel Contesti.