Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Mens Short Program

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by Okami View Post
    ??? Not just my opinion. I was following FSU PBP and Nobunari's & Adam's performances got by far more positive reception (aside from occassional Morozov-related whining and wondering if they share a room. But that's typical ). People thought that if Tomas will go in the lead, it will be because of the quad. Even one of Tomas's fans was like:
    You've got the entire FSU on your side? I obviously lose here.

I love Tomas, he's one of my faves, but the gap between him and Nobu/Adam should not be so big.
    I don't love Tomas... but what gap? 2 points something? Tomas deserved it, IMO. Tastes differ, I didn't like either Nobu's or Adam's SP. I did like Tomas's.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmelanie View Post
    Adam Rippon kind of really really amazing? And it's his senior debut!
    This is actually Adam's 2nd season on the senior Grand Prix series. Last season he was 8th at Skate America and 5th at Cup of Russia. This is his 4th event as a senior skater, counting 2009 U.S. Nationals where he finished 7th.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    This is actually Adam's 2nd season on the senior Grand Prix series. Last season he was 8th at Skate America and 5th at Cup of Russia.
    Oh you're right! I just thought of when they announced him as the Junior World Champ at the show in Korea :P

Custom Title
    Nobu is a great skater, but I found his interpretation over the top. I have to admit that music calls for it though. He said he is not completely comfortable with his program at this point, but I prefer Slutskaya's rendition. Nonetheless, based on his skating skills, he does deserve higher pcs.

Adam's program is a masterpiece, and it got me teary-eyed. But that costume needs to go. Is it me, or is his stroking form kinda funny and very bouncy?

Out of all the men, I enjoyed Ponsero the most. His basic is amazing, especially so after Alban. He has the best quad when he lands it.

/(^.^)/\(^.^)\
    Quote Originally Posted by SerpentineSteps View Post
    Despite my issues with the PCS, one concern that I had before Tomas' scores came up is that the pressure from being in the lead would affect Nobu's performance... so I guess there's a positive side to this.
    I totally agree with you! Actually before this competition I thought that it would be better for Nobunari to do just enough to qualify for GPF, but not necessarily win, because this would just made the Japanese media stalk, bother and pressurize him 24/7... (I have enough bad memories from Worlds 2006 and 2007). I just got a bit feverish because the program was skated so well, I did not expect that - Nobunari said yesterday that his SP is only about 60% ready.

Hsuhs - it's fine that you don't like the program (and many Morozov haters will agree with you), but if only music/choreo/looks were judged, the skaters would not have to skate at all. We could just hire CG artists that will create perfect programs skated by perfect skaters. I was talking more about the performance - skating skills, speed, etc. That's what I was talking about (perhaps it didn't come out right) that even though people might not like the choreographer or like other skaters more, they appreciated the strenght of a performance.

Quote Originally Posted by bmelanie
    Was it just me...or was Adam Rippon kind of really really amazing?
    I've been a fan since Nationals 2007! He really is great, I hope he makes the Olympic team. But this is not his senior debut - he skated on the senior GP last season.

Hsuhs - it's fine that you don't like the program (and many Morozov haters will agree with you)
    Yeah, I see, we've reached the haters phase. It just occured to me.... did you actually watch the competition?

/(^.^)/\(^.^)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post
    He said he is not completely comfortable with his program at this point, but I prefer Slutskaya's rendition. Nonetheless, based on his skating skills, he does deserve higher pcs.
    According to yesterday's interview, Oda considers his SP to be only about 60% ready. (LP - 70%). I think it'll get better with time.

And I agree with you, Ponsero has great potential and his basics are fabulous (yes, especially after watching Alban. Who is cute in his own way, though...). Shame about his consistency. :(

Hsuhs - I don't know what problem do you have with me. I did not direct the word "hater" at you - just at the same few people who go out of their way to harp on every Morozov skater and wonder if they slept with him yet. It's not an insult, they refer to themselves by such a term.
    And yes, I watched the competition.
    Last edited by Okami; 10-16-2009 at 10:41 AM.

Custom Title
    I was talking more about the performance - skating skills, speed, etc.
    Right. I think that people far too often think of the PCS as being equivalent to the "Presentation" score in the 6.0 era. We really need to remember that a good number of the components aren't based on how "likeable" a performance was, but, rather, relatively more objective measures of ease of crossovers (skating skills) and the complexity of footwork between elements (transitions).

... and Hsuhs, Okami wasn't calling you a "hater"; he was lending credence to your argument by acknowledging that there is probably a sizable contingent that would agree with you. Please stop making this degenerate into a cat-fight by picking over word choice; let's keep this space one conducive to friendly disagreements. Thanks.

EDIT: Okami, I'm glad we both picked up on the "hater" comment.

I enjoyed the top 3 + Yannick; I was pleasantly surprised (and pleased!) that Adam went for his tano lutz, since it was such a great element in his EXs this year.

And yes, I watched the competition.
    Ah, OK. For a sec I thought you didn't. My wrong.

Anyways, congrats to Tomas, Nobunari and Adam! And to the rest of the guys, of course. Looking forward to tomorrow's free skate.

Please stop making this degenerate into a cat-fight by picking over word choice; let's keep this space one conducive to friendly disagreements. Thanks.
    SerpentineSteps, I'll do my best. Promise. Thank you for your thoughtful and polite remark.
    Last edited by Hsuhs; 10-16-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by coconutpunch View Post
    I enjoyed the top 3 + Yannick; I was pleasantly surprised (and pleased!) that Adam went for his tano lutz, since it was such a great element in his EXs this year.
    I know! Everyon's doing Tano jumps this year... did Mao restart the trend, or have I just not beeing paying as much attention before?

/(^.^)/\(^.^)\
    Thank you, SerpentineSteps. Yes, you put it in much better words than me. I'm in a bit of a rush because I have to go out in a second (and English is not my first language) so I might have trouble expressing myself clearly. Sorry for that!

Right. I think that people far too often think of the PCS as being equivalent to the "Presentation" score in the 6.0 era. We really need to remember that a good number of the components aren't based on how "likeable" a performance was, but, rather, relatively more objective measures of ease of crossovers (skating skills) and the complexity of footwork between elements (transitions).
    So was it fair that Brian got the second best PCS? I haven't seen any comments about his skating except that his jumps were no good.

What do you mean by "tano lutz"?

I want to watch these programmes :banging:

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    So was it fair that Brian got the second best PCS?
    It depends. I think it was. He's been skating to this music for the past 3(?) years, so he knows it well. At least, he wasn't sleep-inducing, like.... others. But it wasn't his top game.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast