Ladies short program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies short program

*Sniper*

On the Ice
CaroZ looked like a little girl no more!
Although that mule kick appeared as prominent as ever. :unsure:
I thought she was solid, but why such a low score?
Even lower than the young American lady debuting at seniors tonight.
Did her jumps get downgraded? :sad:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Too bad, Carolina, missed all her jumps except for the 2A, yet her expression was good, loved her dress, music, and choreography. Better luck next time, gazelle. :)

amateur

Final Flight
Carolina Kostner

I thought Caro looked great skating to that music in the first half, despite the errors... the music cuts were unnecessary, as she did not at all keep up in the faster section, not even close, and suddenly became awkward. Please reconsider this, coach!

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Love Kim's performance, the whole package, and the Brian Orser factor:love:

So the battle for second and third place is on.

Ok not to found of Caro's costume, makes her tush look kind of....

evangeline

Record Breaker
Yu-Na KIM
Vampy opening pose
*stupid jumpy feed*! - missed her opening jump combo, but based on audience reaction and score, she landed it
3F? – giant
Yeah, looks like Yu-Na has this one in the bag…
2A

Audience goes wild, partial standing ovation
I love her dress; Yu-Na looks great in black
TES: 43.80
PCS: 32.28
SP: 76.08 OMG
Yu-Na crushes the field…no, she completely obliterates it

Carolina KOSTNER
Poor Caro, has to skate after a performance like that…
3Lz- fall
3-something (feed jumped, but I don’t think it was a combo though)
2A
Uh oh, no jump combo in the SP….oh, Caro

TES: 23.90
PCS: 28.46
-1 for fall
SP: 51.26
Seventh place (oh Caro…)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Strong performance from Yuna, but for some reason the program reminds me of danse macabre.

hmmm, Yuna clearly looks like she is in a class of her own.
I like Mao but she has dropped back into the pack and will have all she can handle competing against Joannie, Miki and other top ladies when they are on.

What a great job Orser and Wilson have done with Yuna!!! :love: :love:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Even with a 3A/2T, I don't think Mao can touch Yuna Kim, especially with the scores the judges give her. There's no way. I honestly think all the other girls will be fighting for 2nd & 3rd place at the Olympics.

Yuna Kim is simply the best. I think if she stays in for the next two Olympics she honestly can match Katarina Witt. JMHO. :)

cornell08

Final Flight
Poor Carolina...Hopefully she'll have a better outing in the long.

I really felt, despite the still-wonky take offs, that Caroline's speed and presentation (sass!) really improved... I'd like to see the protocols, as I am not quite sure why she got that score-- that was her best axel in ages, though of course it still needs maaaajor improvement.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Since I can't watch this until later on today.....I just want to thank everyone for the updates.

What's going on with Kostner? Is she still in a complete downward spiral?

Yu-Na....just give her the Olympic gold medal now....

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Not much more I can say about the fabulous Queen YuNa but :bow::bow:

No matter who you are rooting for you gotta respect YuNa's performance.
Congrats to all of the ladies, overall imo the skating was very good today.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Poor Carolina...Hopefully she'll have a better outing in the long.

I really felt, despite the still-wonky take offs, that Caroline's speed and presentation (sass!) really improved... I'd like to see the protocols, as I am not quite sure why she got that score-- that was her best axel in ages, though of course it still needs maaaajor improvement.

I agree and thought Caroline skated a little better than her marks.
Considering she is still getting back into shape I thought she did well.
And she is bringing back a 3x3 once her knee is back at full strength.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
Even with a 3A/2T, I don't think Mao can touch Yuna Kim, especially with the scores the judges give her. There's no way. I honestly think all the other girls will be fighting for 2nd & 3rd place at the Olympics.

Yuna Kim is simply the best. I think if she stays in for the next two Olympics she honestly can match Katarina Witt. JMHO. :)

AHHHH, that 3A is such a risky element!!
And I agree. Even if she nails it, I don't think the judges will place her higher than Kim unless she commits some errors.
YN is just Rocky Mountain solid at the moment.

The speed and height on her jumps are simply amazing.
Even I can see it. WOW.

bmelanie

On the Ice
arg I was unable to watch ladies :(
I feel awful reading Caro's PbP though, I was rooting for her to make a strong comeback, especially after the catastrphic Worlds...

And I agree with Mao's dress looking like a cake or something. Pistachio and Cherry Jubilee flavour, I'm sure.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao can compete with Yu Na, but not if she banks on her triple axel. It has become a very inconsistent jump for her and missing it in the short just destroys her score. Does she still have a 3-3? If so, she should start doing it--in the short program and the long. Yu Na is a better short program skater than a long program skater. If Mao can keep pace with her in the short, it's up for grabs in the long. But if Mao keeps giving away points with missed tripel axels in the short, the competition, like this one, will be over before we even get to the long program.

figurejennah

On the Ice
2009 TEB Women's SP results are out!!!

I was watching it online just now, it's 1:58 pm in New York.

Here are the results for Women's SP.

1. Yuna Kim (76.08)
2. Nakano Yukari (59.64)
3. Mao Asada (58.90
7. Carolina Kostner (51+)

Yukari had a clean program. Nice music, she was very stable and
landed all the jumps. I like the spin speed, overall, a nice clean program. It's amazing, Yukari has been so consistent that she beat Mao again. Some commentators have said that maybe she does not receive as high score because of her crossed leg jumping. (Because judges don't like it so). But Yukari is an extremely capable skater and she is always very threatening to others.

Mao..... she popped triple axel. She's been popping her TA, so
maybe Mao and Tarasova should change their strategy? :(
You can't find the Japan Open video on youtube anymore for some reason, but Mao popped both TA there, and now here again.
You should have seen Tarasova's face they showed.
The moment Mao jumped, Tarasova had a huge smile, then
her face was filled with a great disappointment. It's such a sad
moment, because you know they train so hard, and then
it doesn't get executed at the competition!!!
Mao's outfit, I don't know what to say.... it's personal taste I guess.

Yuna, as you can see from her score, had a solid clean program.
I wish her music had more impact in the beginning, but
her spiral has improved tremendously, and I can see that
she is so much faster than the previous skaters. I think her
spin positions are not as pretty as the other skaters, but still
no one can beat her jumping, really. Also, I like the step sequence. WOW.

Carolina kostner fell. I guess it was a lot of pressure after Yuna had a clean program, and also going as the last skater. She looks more confident than last season though. Oh boy, I don't even want to remember her world championship disaster. Even the NBC commentators said that it was a total nightmare. I have that on recording and whenever I see Carolina, I fast forward. :(

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I don't mean to get any other Mao Fans down, honestly, I'll be her fan until the bitter end. :)

That said, she n-e-e-d-s the 3A/2T in the SP, but in order to defeat Yuna Kim, Yuna has to make mistakes, BIG mistakes. I just don't see that happening. Not only that, I don't wish for anybody to make mistakes, I want everybody to skate their best, and may the best one win. As it should be. JMHO.

BUT, I agree, in order to even make it close Mao needs to land everything in her SP to just hang on, and then skate lights out in the LP. Anything is possible, anything, never give up hope, ever. As Walt Disney so famously said:

A dream is a wish your heart makes...:love:

*Sniper*

On the Ice
arg I was unable to watch ladies :(
I feel awful reading Caro's PbP though, I was rooting for her to make a strong comeback, especially after the catastrphic Worlds...

And I agree with Mao's dress looking like a cake or something. Pistachio and Cherry Jubilee flavour, I'm sure.

Gosh, Mao's dress, close-up, was hideous! :eek:
I don't know what they were thinking, and it doesn't suit the music, either.

YN's dress, close-up, was better than I thought.
From a far, she looked straight out of Tarzan movie.

I really liked CaroZ's red fiery one.
It makes her look so much mature!