Ladies short program | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ladies short program

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Mao needs a program change, the judges are not receiving this program very well.
The Caprice program would be a better match. She needs a program that focuses on her strengths, light and airy.

If she wants a triple axel in her sp, maybe she could try this layout:

3Flip-3loop
Steps into 3axel
2axel

She doesn't need to beat Yuna in the sp, she just need to bridge the gap between their scores. She cannot afford a 10+plus margin between 1st and 2nd place.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
I don't mean to get any other Mao Fans down, honestly, I'll be her fan until the bitter end. :)

That said, she n-e-e-d-s the 3A/2T in the SP, but in order to defeat Yuna Kim, Yuna has to make mistakes, BIG mistakes. I just don't see that happening. Not only that, I don't wish for anybody to make mistakes, I want everybody to skate their best, and may the best one win. As it should be. JMHO.

BUT, I agree, in order to even make it close Mao needs to land everything in her SP to just hang on, and then skate lights out in the LP. Anything is possible, anything, never give up hope, ever. As Walt Disney so famously said:

A dream is a wish your heart makes...:love:

YN is kind of turning into what Plushenko was to other men skaters before Torino, isn't she?
She seems to be at least a fall ahead of everyone's clean, except maybe Mao if she can nail her 3A/2T.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe I'm missing something, but why does Mao need a 3A in the SP, if she has a 3-3? Why not just match Yu Na, jump for jump? If Mao has a problem on the lutz, do a flip. Mao's spirals, spins and footwork are, IMO, better than Yu Na's.
She can compete, but not with missed triple axels.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I don't mean to get any other Mao Fans down, honestly, I'll be her fan until the bitter end. :)

That said, she n-e-e-d-s the 3A/2T in the SP, but in order to defeat Yuna Kim, Yuna has to make mistakes, BIG mistakes. I just don't see that happening. Not only that, I don't wish for anybody to make mistakes, I want everybody to skate their best, and may the best one win. As it should be. JMHO.

Well said :thumbsup:

Congrats to Yu-Na, Yukari and Mao :clap:

Didn't watch the ladies, but having read this thread, not sure if I want to youtube Elene's sp.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Mao will have to elaborate her 3A first before she try 3A/2T. Even her 3A success rate is not high... I'd say it's a lottery jump for her. I want to see Mao first brings a clean short program first then we can compare with Yu-Na after that. From what I've seen at Japan Open and TEB, I doubt she will have clean 2 3A's in her LP with that success rate.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Mao needs a program change, the judges are not receiving this program very well.
The Caprice program would be a better match. She needs a program that focuses on her strengths, light and airy.

If she wants a triple axel in her sp, maybe she could try this layout:

3Flip-3loop
Steps into 3axel
2axel

She doesn't need to beat Yuna in the sp, she just need to bridge the gap between their scores. She cannot afford a 10+plus margin between 1st and 2nd place.

I agree but I have seen a practice clip of Yuna's LP. I think it will be better than her SP this year. Skaters will have to keep closer to Yuna in the SP or they will wind up losing by 30 to 40 points. That includes Mao as she is currently skating.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I vote caprice too! I was watching her ex the other day, what a program! But i liked her dress today, very happy, looks like the spring!

YN is kind of turning into what Plushenko was to other men skaters before Torino, isn't she?
Not really, Plushenko never looked good in a black dress:p

kandidy

Final Flight
I am the minority who like Mao's dress.
Very girlish and the neck was beautifully beads.It just didn't go with her program. What did she changed from last year? Just smile vs non smile version of last year.

No need to say anything about Yuna 's program, just wish for her staying healthy all season and she will get the gold medal.

cornell08

Final Flight
The issue is less whether Mao's dress looks good, which is subjective no matter how hideous it is, but whether it fits the program. Somewhere, I think much was lost in translation. Masquerade Waltz got interpreted simply as Waltz, where a Rococo gown styled dress would be suitable. However, it is Masquerade Waltz. She needs something darker and more vampy/costume-y, as a girl would wear to a masque. Points deducted for interpretation.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I am the minority who like Mao's dress.
Very girlish and the neck was beautifully beads.It just didn't go with her program. What did she changed from last year? Just smile vs non smile version of last year.

No need to say anything about Yuna 's program, just wish for her staying healthy all season and she will get the gold medal.

I like Mao's dress too for a little 6 year old girl at her birthday party. I like Mao's music - but not for Mao to skate to( ....again.zzzzzz)
I feel bad for Mao because she is a beautiful skater, but it feels to me that Tarasova must be getting paid off for the way she is presenting Mao.
Geez, a recuperating Caroline Z, not skating her best almost beat Mao today. A year ago I would not have thought that possible. Or that Laura Lepsito would beat Mao at Japan Open. I repeat, that I like Mao, but something is terribly wrong with the way she is being presented. If you don't believe me just look at how she is being marked.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am really saddened at Carolina Kostner's performance, but I can't say I'm totally surprised. She's basically changed EVERYTHING about her training situation and to expect a complete turnaround from 2009 Worlds after only a matter of a few months is not very realistic. New country, new city, new training rink, new coach, new technique/teaching style . . . everything is so new for her! Still, I wanted her to do much better than she showed today. :frown:

Still cheering for you, Caro! :love::clap:

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Well, Mao has another competition next week. If she doesn't perform well there, then she has enough time to regroup and strategize before the GP Final. Though I wonder if we would expect a coaching change.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
Maybe I'm missing something, but why does Mao need a 3A in the SP, if she has a 3-3? Why not just match Yu Na, jump for jump? If Mao has a problem on the lutz, do a flip. Mao's spirals, spins and footwork are, IMO, better than Yu Na's.

I think Mao's 3F-3L sometimes gets downgraded on the loop, doesn't it?
Since she doesn't have the lutz, what jump can she do as a solo?
Maybe 3A and 2A again?

I have no idea if that's plausible, but yeah, she's gotta do something.

Okami

On the Ice
jenaj said:

Mao reworked her 3F (she had a 'toe hammer' - she was lifting her free leg over her head before the take-off, and as she grew this caused her to lose control on the landing and underrotate 3-3s starting in 3f). She no longer picks so high, but because she changed her technique recently she now enters 3F very tentatively and still has not enough speed out of the jump. It might change in a season or so as Mao's confidence in the jump grows.

Her best 3-3 in the summer practice clips was 3L-3L. And I think she could get a 2A-3T if she put her mind to it.

But that was in the summer practice clips, when she was flying 3As left and right... Here jumps looked definitely much worse at JO/TEB. Less speed going in, less height (except for 2A, which looked great). I wonder if she is overtrained and/or injured. :(

janetfan said:
I like Mao's dress too for a little 6 year old girl at her birthday party. I like Mao's music - but not for Mao to skate to again.
I feel bad for Mao because she is a beautiful skater, but it feels to me that Tarasova must be getting paid off for the way she is presenting Mao.
Geez, a recuperating Caroline Z, not skating her best almost beat Mao today. A year ago I would not have thought that possible. Or that Laura Lepsito would beat Mao at Japan Open. I repeat, that I like Mao, but something is terribly wrong with the way she is being presented. If you don't believe me just look at how she is being marked.

ITA. :(

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
I think Mao's 3F-3L sometimes gets downgraded on the loop, doesn't it?
Since she doesn't have the lutz, what jump can she do as a solo?
Maybe 3A and 2A again?

I have no idea if that's plausible, but yeah, she's gotta do something.

There were rule changes over the summer about downgrades. Technical caller no longer calls out downgrades it will be up to the individual judges. Mao should try the 3F-3L or 3F-3T, she may not actually get downgrades.