Ladies short program | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ladies short program

R.D.

Record Breaker
I expected closer to 60 for Zhang. Oh well, now it's a battle for silver, one which I'm farily convinced Asada will win. But if she slips up on both 3A's the door might be opened for someone else.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I think Mao's 3F-3L sometimes gets downgraded on the loop, doesn't it?
Since she doesn't have the lutz, what jump can she do as a solo?
Maybe 3A and 2A again?

I have no idea if that's plausible, but yeah, she's gotta do something.

I think Mao should play it safe, just do a 3F+2Lo, when she is not up against Yuna. IF Joannie can score 68+ with no triple-triple, I'm sure she can it's more than enough to beat most skaters, except Yuna. Then do the 3+3 at the GPF and world/Olmypics. I mean it's great for a skater to push the limit, but you got to draw a line some where.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
i will always state THAT THE USFSA And ICE NETWORK Doesn't LIKE Caroline Zhang--see icenetwork. stating gilles on.74 out of 3rd. and nothing about how close caroline zhang is from third-
also that gilles is with what his face--name as a coach--they perfer white american coaches. to me --that the usfsa doesn't want caroline zhang up there and will do everything in power behind the scenes to keep her down--including alexi gilles fans with the mule kick--not realizing GILLES SkATES LIKE A JUNIOR SKATER_ -has nothing do it-except she is white.no artistry no-nothing.
zhang might have skated a bit slow--aslo no triple triple, maybe the score could have been higher ; maybe gilles got a bit higher based on a smidge higher in jumps not much. there is NO DIFFERENCE BETSWEEN GILLEs and Zhang in scoring -to pcs Caroline got higher pcs. she skated solid--gilles not so sure. (overmarked a bit).
sorry about being rude-but it seems caroline zhang gets rooked everytime, andwant to make sure she isn't the one they want up there by keeping her scores too low.

I think it's a stretch to say that the fact that Icenetwork didn't mention Caroline in 4th is a sign of racism, ESPECIALLY considering that it's standard protocol to limit competition summaries to the top 3 (go look at ISU summaries, for example). In addition, while I dismiss most conspiracy theories, I even more strongly doubt that the USFS would make efforts to keep one of their own skaters down just so that a white skater can do well.

As an Asian person myself, it's a bit disconcerting that your paranoia of racism is, in effect, making your comments vaguely "reverse-racist" in their own right.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Just out of curiosity, when was the recent time Mao tried 3+3 in a competition? I thought she gave up 3+3 jump and fully focused on 3A long ago..

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Because YU-na has a perfect Lutz and Mao does not. If she is lucky she gets a ! sometimes it is as bad as a "e." Mao does not feel comfortable with the lutz after she has been trying not to flutz. If Mao gets a -2 on the lutz and Yu-na gets a +2 then that is 4 points right there. Not to mention that her 3/3 is downgraded often.

But Mao has a great Loop, which she often get above +1.5 GOE. If she repeat the jump as 3Lo+2Lo again, her deduction on 3Lz is minimal. Mao can match point to point on all other elements.
Yuna doesn't have reliable Loop, so if she get huge lead, she will mostly just do 2A instead or risk with the 3Loop, but the -4 point loss on the fall is nothing compare to her 17 point lead.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Then why doesn't she do a 3F-3T? Isn't that her usual 3-3? She doesn't have to do a lutz in the short program, does she? And even if she does, she can do it as her solo jump. Mao needs to forget about the 3A in the short program until she can land it consistently. What did Frank Carroll tell Michelle about consistency--80? 90? before it goes into the program?

Mao's loop is better than her toe loop. Mao always did the lutz as the solo jumps but doing it out of steps threw her off as well. When Mao landed the triple axel in the short last spring in that chessefest we all sang and danced and said that it what she needs to do next year. That is what she sholud have done at worlds. Well she is doing it. Sure, it won't work all the time, but hopefully it will work when it counts. In a few months nobody will care who won Trophee Eric Bombard. They will care who is olympic champion.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Her previous scores are irrelevant to this competition. The judges are marking what they see in front of them. I see your point, but the judges don't hand out A's for effort. Perhaps she has tried to work on it and perhaps she has improved her speed, but has anything else improved? I don't really think so.

On the other hand, maybe she got zero for an illegal spin or something?

I think cornell's point has a certain logic to it but as much as I love Caroline I have to agree with those that haven't seen noticable improvement.
But remember Caroline is still working her way back into shape and although I liked how she got through her program today it did look like there were issues with several of the jumps. Her ice coverage was better but she still slows down on most of her jump entrances.

Some of us are wondering when her jumping technique is going to get better? Isn't it possible the judges might be feeling the same way? What was acceptable (even cute) from a 14-15 year old skater is not gonna make it at the senior level.

After going through such a growth spurt, then a coaching carosel and then a knee injury - I think Caroline did OK today. She showed determination and in a field with some of the biggest names in skating she held her own (leaving Yuna the wonder girl out of the equation).

Let's see how her LP goes - and even Caroline said in her recent interview her eye is on Natls. I know some of you think the GP is a big deal but it pales in comparison to Natls. That is where Caroline will have to shine and she is very aware of it.

I did like her dress and her music and think her SP can score well if performed a little sharper.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
maybe speed in caroline zhang-but they didn't give benefit of doubt-why should the international give zhang benfit of doubt when US wont.
also yu-na great skate, mao defintely could have been better.
the rest was okay-nothing great- but steady.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
But Mao has a great Loop, which she often get above +1.5 GOE. If she repeat the jump as 3Lo+2Lo again, her deduction on 3Lz is minimal. Mao can match point to point on all other elements.
Yuna doesn't have reliable Loop, so if she get huge lead, she will mostly just do 2A instead or risk with the 3Loop, but the -4 point loss on the fall is nothing compare to her 17 point lead.

She has such a huge lead.
I think it might be a perfect time for her to try 3L.
Like you said -4 pts are nothing compared to her 17 pt lead.

janetfan

Match Penalty
maybe speed in caroline zhang-but they didn't give benefit of doubt-why should the international give zhang benfit of doubt when US wont.
also yu-na great skate, mao defintely could have been better.
the rest was okay-nothing great- but steady.

Caroline finished what - about a point behind Mao today? If you would have said that Mao would beat a Caroline with only 3 weeks of preparation by 1 point today skating fans wouldn't believe you.

Maybe that sounds worse for Mao than it does for Caroline ;)

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Since Mao's favourite jump is the Loop, then I think her layout should be 3Lo+3Lo, 3F and 2A. At least that's what I wanted her to do in the SP, so that she couldn't risk a pop or fall on the 3A. Anyways, she must be ready for tomorrow, so go Mao!

:rock:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I really, really wanted to see this competition. But I am 1000 miles from home right now, and could not get Universal Sports. I am happy so may skaters did well. I predicted the European ladies would struggle, and they did.

I am happy Caroline did so well considering her injury. She usually pulls herself up in the long. And by the way, do you who has the record for the greatest margin of victory in an ISU event? That's rght, Miss Zhang. She won JGP Mexico by over 50 points.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Haven't read any of the replies since I left earlier today, but just wanted to say that I'm back after a nice light lunch & much thinking, lol, with a much more positive frame of mind in regards to my fav Mao. :)

I hate to admit this, but if Mao wants to win an Olympic Medal of any color, then she has to play it safe, regroup, bring back her exquisite Clair De Lune SP & either Masquerade or Bells of Moscow for her LP (though I know judges hate it when a skater doesn't have a new LP, though Oksana Baiul reused her LP for the 1994 Olympics, yet she did have a new SP). And trying three triple axels in any year is risky, but *especially* the Olympic Year, way too much pressure on top of the staggering Olympic Pressure. Mao's not superhuman, merely a mortal. ONE triple axel only, in the LP, that's it, lol I'm scared about her even doing that.:unsure::eek: Bring back the 3/3 combos. from the past, do a 7 triple program, bring back the winning formula from 2007.

This last one is the hardest, but she has to let the legendary Tatiana Tarasova go.:cry: Just because her mom's in love with this legendary coach (dropped the great Arutunian for TAT) doesn't mean it's translating to gold for Mao out on the ice. In fact, I would say Mao should go it alone, like she did back in 2006/2007, when she won her first Worlds. Some coaches & skaters just don't equal gold. In fact, I thought if Sasha Cohen had stayed with TAT she would've won gold because Sasha was the best she's ever been in her life with TAT. JMHO.

That said, she can play it safe & win a medal of any color at the Olympics, or she can go for broke like Steve Prefontaine did back at the 1972 Olympics. He did an all out sprint, which unfortunately left him in 4th place at the end of it all. Yet to this day I admire his guts & determination. He could've played it safe & just hung on for a medal, but he didn't, he wanted Gold, and that's what he went for. :)

Whatever your decision, Mao, I'm behind you 110%. It's up to you, you're the one skating & taking all the risks, not me.

GOOD LUCK, MAO, IN THE FS! :thumbsup:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I really, really wanted to see this competition. But I am 1000 miles from home right now, and could not get Universal Sports. I am happy so may skaters did well. I predicted the European ladies would struggle, and they did.

I am happy Caroline did so well considering her injury. She usually pulls herself up in the long. And by the way, do you who has the record for the greatest margin of victory in an ISU event? That's rght, Miss Zhang. She won JGP Mexico by over 50 points.

Yes, i have seen that clip. What was she about 9 or 10 at the time?:laugh:
I was satisfied with Caroline's SP today and like a few others I thought she might have been undermarked a little. Hope she does well tomorrow!

bubbleyum

On the Ice
i think mao should fire tarasova just for having such consistently bad taste in clothing if nothing else.

UGH. what is up with her love of wierd lacy-see-through material?? poor mao has all the money in the world to get herself a classy costume, a killer body that could look good in anything, and instead she has to suffer the indignity of being dressed in fussily decorated dresses season after season that looks like scalloped fish-scales from a certain distance and up close resembles victoria's secret catalogue-type corseted underwear! i bet that is the real reason why mao looks so glum skating her programs, not the failed triple axles!! ugh ugh ugh.

if it is not the wierd lacy material, then it is dresses in garish colors with strange cutouts, like somebody was trying to make a paper snowflake out of her costumes! and of course she always has mao wearing a strange choker-like collar on her neck which makes her look like she has a short neck. ugh ugh ugh.

poor mao.

-rant over-

Charlotte Elizabeth

On the Ice
Tarasova does look inappropriate for Mao right now. The programs, jumplayots, dresses just don't suit Mao. Well, dresses would not suit anybody actually, imho.
Poor Mao struggles and everybody can see that. With such potential she could do so much better. Ugh...I hate saying it, but Mao has to change her coach, those programs and outfits. It all looks disharmonic now. Although I love Mao as a skater and know that TT can be genious coach...
I'm not biggest fun of Yu-na but today she was spectacular. The programs suits her, technic is pure and dress is classy. She also had wonderfull makeup. The whole team of Yu-na,Orser, Wilson and IMG look good, well above everybody right now.
I still wish her spirals looked more plesant (pointed toes, stretch) but in the same time her layback has improved. Well done!
I did like Caroline and wish she had placed higher. I admit having a little bit of fan attitude towards her. I like her does not matter what. But today it was decent and she was a bit underscored. Of course I bear in mind all her technical problems. I love her dress by the way. Looks gorgeous on her!
Such a shame for Carolina... I did hope she would stop being so inconciestant...The program was nice and I can see she enjoys it.Sush a shame for those jumps. About the dress: I actually liked a skirt part of it, but the top was a bit akward, certanly to low for her height. Italian desighner Roberto Cavalli used to make all her costumes... I wonder if he still does it this season.
I can't say I enjoyed Yukari's clean performance but Well done for her!
Wau, that is a long post. Sorry.:p

Last edited:

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
I really don't think Mao's dress is that bad and really her dress is the least important issue. I think it's important that Mao voice her opinion on her programs to her coach. She should have some say on the elements that she has to perform. It would be best if she brings back two 3/3s combs in addition to one 3axel, it's still risky technical content to perform. The 3axel should not be an end all, be all element of her program.

And by the way, do you who has the record for the greatest margin of victory in an ISU event? That's rght, Miss Zhang. She won JGP Mexico by over 50 points.

:clap: Although...that event was billed as the Clash of the Tiny Titans, Caroline against Rachael Flatt. Then Rachael had to withdraw with an injury, leaving the the field to Caroline uncontested.

What was equally remarkable that season was that Caroline hit exactly the same score, within just a few tenths of a point, in all three of her Junior Grand Prix appearances. So she set a record for consistency, too, along with a record for margin of victory.