programs that have given you the "chills"!! | Golden Skate

programs that have given you the "chills"!!

Taan

On the Ice
1)Natalia Mishkutienok & Artur Dmitriev 1994 Olympic long program it was just exquisite and oozing with passion and drama they should have won the gold instead of silver!@!

2.) Lu Chen 1996 Worlds Long Program my jaw dropped open when she was finished she was sublime, perfection, beauty on ice an unforgettable performance!

3.)Rudy Galindo 1996 Nationals WOW!!!!!!!!

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
1. Chen Lu - 1996 Worlds "Rach" LP
2. Michelle Kwan - 2001 Nationals "East of Eden" SP
3. Shen & Zhou - 2003 Worlds "Turandot" LP
4. Michelle Kwan - 2003 Worlds "Aranjuez" LP
5. Michelle Kwan - 1998 Nationals "Lyra Angelica" LP
6. Paul Wylie - 1992 Olympics "Henry V" LP

And, personally, I would have chosen G&G in 1994. M&D were absolutely stunning, but G&G gave a performance packed with such honest emotion and exquisite skating. I'm a sucker for the classical pairs style!

shine

Record Breaker
Talk about "chills"

Alexei Yagudin's "Winter" from SC. Biggest chills ever. Also his "Gladiator" from 2001 SC and "Revolutionary Etude" from 2001 Worlds.
Klimova & Ponomarenko's "LoA" from Worlds
Berezhnaya & Sikhurlidze's "Chaplin" from Euros, "Lady Caliph" from Olys and many others.
Gordeeva & Grinkov's "Requiem" from World Pros(?)
Emanuel Sandhu's "Crazy Benny & etc" 2003 SC and "Purple Rain"
The Steiglers' "Tschaikovsky's No. 1 P. Concerto" SP from 2001 (though they bombed it) and "Giselle"
Michelle Kwan's "Ariane" from WP and "Red Violin" from 1999 SA
Stephane Lambiel's "Magic Stradivarius" and "Chocolat" from Worlds QR
Kristina Czako's "The Adam's Family" and "Waltz Masquere" from 1997
Viktor Petrenko's SP from 1988 SC...so different for him
Oksana Baiul's "Swan Lake" SP from 1994
Stanick Jeannette's SP last season...(what's the name?)
Matt Savoie's "Reveil" SP from 2002 Worlds
Julia Lautowa's "Malaguena & Flamenco medley" from 2003
Ilia Klimkin's "Sunny Boy" from 2002 NHK.
Yukina Ota's Waltz exh. number
Ye Bin Mok's "Swan" SP from 2003 US Nats.
Sasha Abt's "Armenian Folk Song" SP from 2001
Silvio Smalun's "Handel" LP from 2003
Laetitia Hubert's SP from 1998 Worlds
Irina Slutskya's "Cry of Forrest" (the one she did at the 1999 Keri Lotion fluff)

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
LOL, I don´t know about chills, but to name just a few programmes which have brought tears into my eyes (in no particular order):

Gordeeva & Grinkov, several programmes
Ilia Kulik Olympic free skate / 1998
Paul Wylie´s "Carmina Burana"
Anissina & Peizerat free dance / Worlds 1999
Katia & Ilia "Casi Un Bolero" / SOI 2000
Evgeny Plushenko "Bolero" / Finlandia Trophy 2000
Ilia Kulik´s "Rockit" / SOI 2001
Sasha Cohen´s short programme / Finlandia Trophy 2001
Shen & Zhao free skate / Worlds 2003
Johnny Weir´s short programme / Finlandia Trophy 2003
Susanna Pöykiö´s short programme / Finlandia Trophy 2003

Marjaana

Last edited:

icenut84

Final Flight
There are so many programmes I love, but some that have genuinely given me chills:

Michelle Kwan - Fields of Gold (02 Olympics EX)
Torvill & Dean - Encounter (pro)
Shen & Zhao - Turandot (03 Worlds LP)
Alexei Yagudin - Revolution Etude (01 Worlds SP)
Maria Butyrskaya - Otonal (99 Worlds LP)
Liz Manley - 88 Olympics LP
Sasha Cohen - Malaguena (03 Worlds SP)
Tara Lipinski - Rainbow (98 Olympics LP)
Stephane Lambiel - Cirque de Soleil (02 Europeans LP)

And probably lots more I'm forgetting

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Okay, Taan, I thought your Sasha gush post was just nuts, but I do agree with you about M&D in 94. Yes, I realize that makes me a skating heretic....

Anyway, other programs that gave me chills...

Evgeni's Adagio SP, Bofrost
Brian Joubert's Time SP at Skate America
Alexander Abt's Russian Sailor Dance (?) SP from Bofrost

Hmmm, let me ponder some more. I do love the SP a great deal, so it would seem.

Laura :)

Patchris

Spectator
Klimova/Ponomarenko (Free JO 1992 Bach)
Duchesnay/Duchesnay (Free Worlds 1991, Missing 2)
Anissina/Peizerat (Free Worlds 99 Iron Mask; 2000 Carmina Burana; JO 2002 Liberta; OD 99 My Sweat and tander Beast; OD 2002 Flamenco)
Gordeeva/Grinkov (Free JO 1994 Beethoven and several program ex: vocalise...)
Abitbol/Bernadis (Free Worlds 2000 Ange et Démon; Free 2002/2003 Familie Adams)
Kurt Browning (Nahya; Johnny Guitare exhib worlds 91)
Alexander Abt (short 2001 Arménian folk song; Free chp europe 2002 Rachmaninov; Free qualif worlds 2000 Riverdance)
Alexei Yagudin (Free Gladiator; short 2002 Winter)
Philippe Candéloro (Free JO 1994 the Goodfather; Free JO 1998 D'Artagnan)
Stanick Jeannette (Free chp europe 2003 Le petit prince)
Katarina Witt (Free Carmen; Free JO 1994. Exhib La liste de Schindler)
Laetitia Hubert (Short 1998 Big my Secret; Free 1995 The Miserables)
Surya Bonaly (Short JO 1994; exhib To quieres Volver)
Michelle Kwan (Short JO 1998 Rachmaninov; Short worlds 2003 P. Gabriel; exhib Winter Tori Amos)
Vanessa Gusmeroli (Worlds 2000 Legends of the Falls)
Midori Ito (Free Worlds 1989; Free JO 1992 Rachmaninov)
Sasha Cohen (Short 2002 My Sweat and tander Beast; Short Malaguena; exhib Roméo and Juliette and severas Free; shorts and exhib...)

Patchris--Hey, another fan of Vanessa Gusmeroli's "Legends of the Fall" program. I love the series of about six or seven different spins that make up the ending.
--"Four Corners": A quartet choreographed by Sandra Bezic and skated by Elena Bechke, Denis Petrov, Ekaterina Gordeeva, and Ilia Kulik, SOI, live, '99.
--"Casi Un Bolero": Duet for Katia and Ilia, SOI, 2000.
--Oksana Baiul: "The Swan" COI, live, '94; "Meditation by Thais" COI, live, '95; "Arabian" COI, live, '96.
--Mishketunok & Dmitriev: "Liebestraum" '92 Olympics, TV; "Rachmaninoff" '94 Olympics, TV.
--Gordeeva & Grinkov: "The Man I Love" SOI, live, '95; "Humoresque" World Pros, '94 or '95 (not sure), TV; "Moonlight Sonata" '94 Olympics, TV.
--Anissina&Peizerat: "Romeo and Juliet" '98 Olympics, TV; "Time to Say Goodbye" '98 Olympic exhib, TV; "Carmina Burana" '00(?) Worlds, TV.
--Kurt Browning: "Love Medley to Sonja" SOI, live, '97 I think, and many others.
--Ilia Kulik: "Aladdin" '96 Worlds, TV; "Caught" Olympic SP '98 TV; "Rhaphsody in Blue" Oly LP '98; "Liebestraum" '97 Exhib; "Baseball Cap" (Mathman barfs) SOI '00; "Rhaphsody in Blue" Hallmark pro/am '02; "Waltz of the Flowers" exhib, '03, TV.
--Irina Slutskaya: "Schindler's List" pro/am competition, '00 I think.
--Michelle Kwan: "Rush" SP fall '99(?); "The Feeling Begins" SP '03 Nats/Worlds; "Aranjuez" LP '03 Nats/Worlds.
--Chen Lu: "Rachmaninoff" '96 Worlds.
--Sarah Hughes: "Daphne et Chloe" Olympic LP, '02.
--Sasha Cohen: "Sentimental Waltz" Olympic SP, '02; "Malaguena" SP Skate Canada '02; "Swan Lake" Campbell's '03, live.
--Dorothy Hamill: "Andrew Lloyd Weber's Requiem" '99/00 exhib.
--Paul Wylie: "Bach" SOI, '97, many others.
--Brian Boitano: Don't have a stand-out program for Brian, but the quality of his skating in general gives me chills when I see him live. Not the same on TV.
--Kristi Yamaguchi: "Bridge Over Troubled Water."
--Excusé moi! Almost forgot Philippe Candeloro's '98 SP and LP. He earned that bronze when nobody thought he would show up as anything but naked. So refreshing to see someone really perform for the audience at the Olympics.
--EDITED TO ADD: I forgot YAGS! "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Winter."
--And flog me with Tonya Harding's boot laces, how could I forget Torvill & Dean "Bolero" and their "Paso Doblé" original dance at '84 Worlds and Olympics. Plus their Rhumba OD at '94 Olympics and many of their other dances.
--Which reminds of two other great "Paso Doblé" original dances: One by Grishuk & Platov, the other by Krylova & Ovsiannikov in '96 or '97 (can't recall). They both blew me away. But T&D's set an amazing standard for the true heart of the paso doblé, IMO.

There are others, but those are main ones that come to mind.
Rgirl

Last edited:

Germanice

On the Ice
Natalia Mishkotienok/Arthur Dmitriev - "Liebestraum" - Worlds 1991
Ekaterina Gordeeva/Ilia Kulik - "Casi un Bolero" - SOI 2000
Elena Berezhnaya/Anton Sikharulidze - "The Kid/Limelight" - Exh. Olympics 2002
Xue Shen/Hongbo Zhao - "Turandot" - Worlds 2003

Katarina Witt - "Sag' mir, wo die Blumen sind" - German Nationals 1993
Oksana Baiul - "Black swan" - Olympics 1994
Lu Chen - "Springbreeze" + "Rachmaninov" - Worlds 1996

Isabelle- and Paul Duchesnay - "Jungledance" - Olympics 1988
Isabelle- and Paul Duchesnay - "Missing 1" - Euros 1990
Marina Klimova/Sergei Ponomarenko - "Toccata/Air" - Olympics 1992
Marina Anissina/Gwendal Peizerat - "Carmina Burana" - Worlds 2000

Brian Boitano - "Napoleon" - Olympics 1988
Viktor Petrenko - "Carmen" - Worlds 1991, "Romeo & Juliet" - ????
Kurt Browning - "Johnny Guitar" - Exh. Worlds 1991,
"That's entertainment" - Worlds Pro. 19??, "Nyah" - SOI 2001?
Philippe Candeloro - "d'Artagnan" - Olympics 1998
Ilia Kulik - "Rhapsody in Blue " - Olympics 1998
Alexei Yagudin - "Lawrence of Arabia" - Worlds 1999, "Gladiator" - Euros 2001,
"Revolutions Etude" - Worlds 2001, "Racing" - Sears Open 2002
Takeshi Honda - "Rhapsodia Cubana" - GPF 2001
Jeff Buttle - "The last Emperor" - Worlds 2002

Anke

Last edited:

KMK0902

On the Ice
The first time I saw S/P's Love Story - WOW, Major Chills

Katya/Ilia at SOI 2000

G/G - The Man I love

Alexi - Winter, Live @ SC 2002

Kurt's - Love to Sonja, :love:

That's it for now,
Kat

diamondqueen

On the Ice
programs that have given you the "chills"

Bolero-Torvill/Dean what more can you say about perfection
Salmone-Kwan this is the program that changed Michelle
Lyra-Kwan perfection
EOE-Kwan tears & chills for this dramatic piece of brillance
Shen/Zhao 03 World Champions LP Absolutely brillant and breath- taking.

diamond:love:

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I forgot a few

1. Tonia Kwiatkowski - 1996 Nationals "Blade Runner" LP, I really became a major Tonia fan after this performance. She was rock solid technically and really gave it her all.
2. Tonia Kwiatkowski - 1998 Worlds LP, WOW! After the 97 and 98 Nationals, I felt so terrible for Tonia. She had worked so hard and never received the international respect she deserved. This performance was brilliant for her and severely undermarked (surprise!). I got chills when she hit the ending pose and couldn't contain her emotions...and then her Dad crying in the skybox...AAHHH!
3. Chen Lu - 1994 Olympics "Claire de Lune" SP, Okay...it wasn't clean. But this was one of my favorite programs of Lulu's up to this point. It was a huge step above what she had done before and fit her perfectly. It was light and beautiful...wispy in a way. Exceptional skating.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Kurt Browning - Casablanca and also his program when he landed the first quad. Pretty much everything he has done!

Martini and Underhill

Toller Cranston

Brian Orser - his 88 Olympic Skate
and his program The Story of My Life
also his program done to Somewhere in Time.

Torvill and Dean - Bollero

There are many more, but I am too tired to think right now!

Antilles

Medalist
I always love these threads.

Katia Gordeeva-the first program I saw her do after Sergei died
Anissina & Peizerat. FD 99 Worlds, Carmina Burana, Romeo & Juliet FD 98 Olympics, Time to Sat Goodbye
Michelle Kwan-FoG Olympics. It was so beautiful
Sarah Hughes 02 Olympic LP
Klimova & Ponomarenko-FD 1992 Olympics
Alexei Yagudin-Winter 02 Olympics, Gladiator, 00 Skate Canada
Phillippe Candeloro-98 LP (Europeans and Olympics)
Underhill and Martini-Unchained Melody, When a Man loves Woman
Liz Manley-88 LP
Shen & Zhao-03 Wolrds LP. To do that well with such an injury.

Plenty of others that I can't remember. I might add ones that I've forgotten

Antilles said:
Katia Gordeeva-the first program I saw her do after Sergei died...
Shen & Zhao-03 Wolrds LP. To do that well with such an injury.
Antilles,
Almost every time I read somebody else's list I think, "Oh, yeah! How could I have forgotten that one!?" and add it to mine. But my list has gotten so long I'll just acknowledge yours. Yes, what I call Katia's "Requiem" program for Sergei was in a class by itself, IMO. Emotional yet restrained. Chills and tears.

And Shen & Zhao at '03 Worlds. The whole program kept building and building, then after she landed that last throw jump, the rest of the program just seemed to explode with everything that's great about skating. Thanks for the reminder.
Rgirl

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
I really suck at remembering program names and dates, but here are just a few:

Torvill & Dean, Bolero, anytime
Brian O, Somewhere in Time, the music alone gives me chills-add his skating and wow!
Michelle Kwan, most everything, but specifically: FOG, 02 Olympics; SP & LP, 03 Worlds/Nats
Shen & Zhao, LP, 03 Worlds
G & G, The Man I Love, SOI, 95 (live), and almost anything else they ever did.
Alexei Yagudin, again, most everything, but especially: LOA, Worlds 99; Revolution Etude, Worlds 01; MITIM, Olympics 02 (because I could "feel" what was going to happen), and the first time I saw Overcome, live (I cried buckets! LOL)

Nan

Mistyeyed

Rinkside
Katia's singles skating tribute to her husband--I cried with everyone else.

Michelle Kwans Winter number that is my fav. number of hers.
Yags Winter number-best program of his in my opinion.
Kurt Browning always gives me chills because he is so wonderful.
thats all I can think of at the moment, bblater.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
There are many programs that I've *loved*, but only a few that have genuinely given me chills. When I get chills, it's usually not just because of the performance itself, but also because of the nature of the event and what's at stake, as well as the skater's own history. All that combines to produce an unforgettable moment. Here are a few programs that have genuinely given me chills.

Kristi Yamaguchi / Samson and Delilah / 1991 Worlds long program

Kristi's breakthrough program and one of my favorite skating memories ever. It wasn't the choreography of the program that made it memorable, but rather, the way Kristi performed it and the way the moment came together. She skated last in the final group at Worlds that year and everyone knew it was her gold medal to win or lose (although she had come into the competition as very much an underdog). Many skaters crumble under that kind of pressure, but Kristi held it together, skated brilliantly (landing 6 triples), and had a huge standing ovation at the end, as well as at least one 6.0. Before that program Kristi was just a talented skater with a lot of not-yet-fulfilled potential. After that program, she was a world champion, soon to become Olympic champion. I've never seen her look happier than she did on the podium at Worlds that year.

Ekaterina Gordeeva & Sergei Grinkov / Moonlight Sonata / 1994 Olympic long program

I still hold my breath whenever I watch this program. Never has there been a more perfect marriage of music, choreography, and skaters. It was almost as if that music were written for Gordeeva and Grinkov, or maybe it's that they were given life to perform to that music. It was just the most pure, the most simple, and the most beautiful pairs performance I've ever seen. I know Sergei wasn't happy with the skate because of his two very minor errors. But it's almost as if those mistakes simply served to highlight the harmony and perfection of the performance as a whole. The second Olympic gold medal they won with that skate was a validation, but almost unnecessary. What mattered was that the peformance existed. That they had shared it with us.

Michelle Kwan / Rachmaninoff and Lyra Angelica / 1998 Nationals short and long programs

Surely, anyone who saw those programs will never forget them. Coming into 1998 Nationals, there were just so many question marks: Could Michelle rebound from her tough 1997 season? Could she beat Tara? With her toe injury that year, would she even be able to land any jumps? No one knew what to expect. And then Michelle just came out and skated two brilliant, emotional performances back-to-back. Those two programs had everything--lovely choreography, stirring music, gorgeous jumps and technique, and such passion. It was like the world stood still for those moments Michelle was on the ice. And those strings of 6.0s! I think it's the memory of those performances at Nationals that made the 1998 Olympic defeat so bitter and painful for Michelle's fans. We just KNEW she was the best skater in the world--we had seen the proof in Philadelphia that year.

Lu Chen / The Last Emperor / 1995 Worlds long program

Many have cited Lulu's 1996 Rachmaninoff long program as one of their favorites. But I still prefer her 1995 Last Emperor program, choreographed by Toller Cranston. I loved the unusual, inventive moves in that program--the jarring, exciting music--the precision and grace with which she skated the program. And the excitement of seeing her finally win her first World title (after several years of being oh so close). That performance stays fresh in my mind, nearly ten years later.

Natalia Mishkutenok & Artur Dmitriev / Liebestraum / 1991 Worlds long program

Natalia & Artur were so unique, so memorable, as a pair. Their Liebestraum program at 1991 Worlds really showcased their talents and brought them their first World championship. The program was gorgeous, dramatic, seamless. It was as if they were skating in a different universe than the other pairs at that competition. The other pairs wore tacky, loud costumes; skated to music that was odd or unmemorable; made awkward mistakes and/or skated without emotion. Natalia & Artur, on the other hand, were elegant, exciting, different! I still miss them as a pair.

Marina Klimova & Sergei Ponomarenko / Bach Toccata / 1992 Olympics

One of the most passionate, intimate programs I've ever seen. Watching it, you almost felt like you were intruding on Marina & Sergei's privacy. It was very exciting to see them skate the program so brilliantly and win at the Olympics, especially after their inexplicable loss to the Duchesnays the previous year at Worlds. And Marina & Sergei won on their own terms, too--they didn't play it safe in terms of music, choreography, and costume, but rather, skated from the heart.

Sasha Cohen / Rachmaninoff / First pro-am competition of 2002-2003 season, long program

Wow. When Sasha came out at her first competition last year and unveiled the new Rachmaninoff long program, I was blown away by the dramatic, exciting choreography and the flair and dynamism with which Sasha skated the program. For the first time, I felt, Sasha had choreography and music that actually lived up to her amazing talent, rather than holding her back. As soon as the performance was over, I turned to my husband and said, "That's the kind of program that wins World championships." Alas, it didn't happen, but still, it was a great performance.

Wow, I've gone on forever here--sorry--but some of these memories are pretty close to my heart!!

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Just a few.......no particular order! LOL :laugh:

Michelle Kwan: Fields of Gold, SLC 2002 :cry: , Aranuez US Nats 2003, Lyra Angelica US Nats 1998, EOE US Nats 01, Salome Worlds 1996 :D

Todd Eldredge: Glory (anytime, anywhere, I LOVE that program!), First Knight Worlds 1996, 1492 Worlds 2001, 13th Warrior Canadian Open 2000 :love:

Jamie & David: Love Story GPF and Olys 2002, Tristan and Isolde 2001 Four Continents, Come Away With Me-Dreams on Ice 2003 (You had to be there, it was amazing!), For You-Skate America 1999 :D

Gordeeva & Grinkov: Moonlight Sonata 1994 Olys, The Man I Love, the Rodin number (I forget the title)

Katia: When she skated alone for the first time. Wow, I still cry! :cry:

Paul Wylie: Schindlers List, Apollo 13, Go the Distance, his Olys LP (Henry V?!?!)

Brian Orser: The Story of My Life (Saw it live last month, WOW!)

Brian Boitano: His Olys LP :D , Don't Cry, Nessum Dorma

Anabelle Langlois & Patrice Archetto: I'll Always Be Right There, Your Song (Their exhibition for this year, its awesome!) :D

I think those are the main ones I go back to when I think of programs that have given me chills. Just a few there, LOL :laugh:

lulu

Final Flight
Great post Eyria :)

Here are some of mine-it's late so I'm probably forgetting a few.

M&D 1994 Rachmanioff: Actually gave me "chills"-the only program I have seen that has actually given me goosebumps watching it for the first time.

G&G: Out of tears(last performance) it was the combo of knowing it was their last performance together, the music and the skating.

B&S: Let me fall-their lines and extensions are to die for. They do no sbs jumps-but that performance seems to almost be chaneling the Protopopovs with it's pure classicalism.

Last edited: