Thread: Free Dance

Hybrid View

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

Free Dance

Start time 20:15 Paris Time, 2:15 pm EDT

Start Order

1 Zoe BLANC / Pierre-Loup BOUQUET FRA 10 68.32
    FD-Marine Machine(Amon Tobin) and Ramalama (Roisin Murphy)
    2 Madison HUBBELL / Keiffer HUBBELL USA 9 70.24
    FD- "American Woman" by The Guess Who, and "Can't Get You Out of My Mind" and "Fly Away" by Lenny Kravitz
    3 Pernelle CARRON / Lloyd JONES FRA 8 71.46
    FD- Adagio ( Il Divo )
    4 Ekaterina RUBLEVA / Ivan SHEFER RUS 7 74.24
    FD-Une Vie d'Amour by Charles Aznavour and Mireille Mathieu
    5 Kristina GORSHKOVA / Vitali BUTIKOV RUS 6 75.14
    FD-Phantom on Ice by Robert Danova

Warm-Up Group 2
    6 Kimberly NAVARRO / Brent BOMMENTRE USA 5 77.36
    FD-"One" by U2 and Mary J. Blige
    7 Emily SAMUELSON / Evan BATES USA 4 77.66
    FD -"Canto Della Terra" by Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli
    8 Sinead KERR / John KERR GBR 3 90.86
    FD-Krwing (Linkin Park)
    9 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT FRA 2 91.87
    FD-Kika (Ez3kiel) & Time (Maxime Rodriguez)
    10 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN 1 100.32
    FD-Mahler's Symphony No 5.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 10-17-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Interesting selections of music there!

I'm not quite getting Tessa Virtue's description of the Mahler piece here:
    "....the essence of the piece is colourful, it's really joyful,..."

Gustav Mahler's 'Symphony No. 5' I always associate with the film 'Death in Venice' starring Dirk Bogarde, as the soaring dramatic strings played out over a sad, melancholic end.
    Video trailer

But I'm very much looking forward to seeing their interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Start time 20:15 Paris Time, 2:15 pm EDT
    Unfortunately 7.15pm here in the UK - clashing with Strictly Come Dancing (our DWTS TV show) so will have to catch up with the thread and all the news later.
    But thanks in advance!

Custom Title
    I don't think V&M - or any future dancers/choreographers - need to honor how Mahler's piece was employed for a film.

Quote Originally Posted by nevergonnadance View Post
    I don't think V&M - or any future dancers/choreographers - need to honor how Mahler's piece was employed for a film.
    I agree

I have lunch plans so I am hoping I will be back in time to catch their performance! Fingers crossed

GooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NAVBOM!!!!

any chanel will brodcast the FD?

Thanks to Doris for the live reports.

Very interested to read 1795's reviews of the Top 3 too.

Quote Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
    P/B: weird. but for some reason the theme of time really adds a sense of drama. their footwork improved. or maybe just their style just changed. lifts were a bit hectic. the motif of ticking is absolute genius in choreography. it just completes the whole essense of time and life.
    Not an original theme though - have you seen this?
    "Time Goes Millenium" - Winkler & Lohse's FD from 2000 Worlds.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQW7T7EdELE

Quote Originally Posted by nevergonnadance View Post
    No, they don't, but Mahler's music is essentially serious and melancholic, therefore Tessa's description of it as "colourful, it's really joyful" seems incongruous to me. The choreography is absolutely stunning, and they skated it beautifully, but only Scott's expression was pitched correctly to match the tone of the piece. It felt strange to watch Tessa smiling at the beginning. The facial expressions should interpret the depth of this serious classical symphony throughout. Umbrellas of Cherbourg-light-frothy-romantic-young-love (which I adored) it isn't . This is a far more mature piece of music and style of routine, and both their performances should match it. I hope they do. It will then be a masterpiece.
    Last edited by La Rhumba; 10-18-2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by La Rhumba View Post
    No, they don't, but Mahler's music is essentially serious and melancholic, therefore Tessa's description of it as "colourful, it's really joyful" seems incongruous to me. The choreography is absolutely stunning, and they skated it beautifully, but only Scott's expression was pitched correctly to match the tone of the piece. It felt strange to watch Tessa smiling at the beginning. The facial expressions should interpret the depth of this serious classical symphony throughout. Umbrellas of Cherbourg-light-frothy-romantic-young-love (which I adored) it isn't . This is a far more mature piece of music and style of routine, and both their performances should match it. I hope they do. It will then be a masterpiece.
    Gustav Mahler wrote this particular movement as marriage proposal to, then, Alma Schindler. So, it is the love story of the Mahlers.
    However, they had personality issues: Gustav was a super artistic, introvert and Alma was totally the opposite... liberal, out-going (especially with artists). Alma never seemed to understand Gustav... At least to me she did not have that kind of depth as a person (Let's give her a break... she was 19 years younger than him). From Gustav's point-of-view, Alma was some sort of fire that he could not quite handle... she left a huge burn mark in his heart, despite of which he could not help but loving her... She was his source of inspiration as well as absolute desperation.
    Tessa's smile and her jolly description of the music reminds me so much of Alma Mahler and your uneasy feeling makes so much sense because the music is desperately compelling. It doesn't matter if her expression is too light for the music, because this irony seems the essence of Mahler's later music, especially in the symphonies.

Rinkside
    I really love V/M`s new FD. I think the coreography is breathtaking and that it shows a higher of level of maturity than the Umbrellas of Cherbourg (which I also loved). I think this program will get them an olympic medal. It`s a difficult program to skate, but they make it look easy. I also love love love Tessa`s dress, makes her look so elegant.

pour atteindre l'inaccessible étoile! 1795's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by La Rhumba View Post
    Not an original theme though - have you seen this?
    "Time Goes Millenium" - Winkler & Lohse's FD from 2000 Worlds.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQW7T7EdELE
    oh wow. 100% literal but...they really took the theme of time and fully incorporated it to EVERY move. love the pedulum/ticking-like lifts

P/B should appropriate from winkler and lohse

Finally found Samuelson/Bates FD. When, oh when are they going to get the right FD? This still isn't it! They are such a young, team and this music just seems heavy, especially so when considering their youth. Maybe I'm alone in this but I think once again they've chosen music that doesn't really go anywhere, it was a bit one-note IMO.

The postives: maybe I don't remember their old programs well, but it looked like there was more variation in their step sequences. Their spins have improved a lot I think, and I also liked seeing new lifts. Some lifts were a bit similar to their old ones, but I appreciate that they weren't the exact same.

Emily and Evan...please get yourselves to an outside choreographer. I'd love to see them go a more modern route; their FDs always seem so...old fashioned to me.
    Last edited by lmarie086; 10-19-2009 at 10:48 AM.