Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Free Dance

pour atteindre l'inaccessible étoile! 1795's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Nope, the deductions came from an extended lift - the first lift they did.
    -2.00 for that? hmmm i remember the kerrs getting a deduction for doing the rotational thing. is that even a rule nowadays?

P/B FD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIKlIJ8xSDo

Quote Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
    -2.00 for that? hmmm i remember the kerrs getting a deduction for doing the rotational thing. is that even a rule nowadays?

P/B FD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIKlIJ8xSDo
    That's what it says in the protocals:
    http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._FD_Scores.pdf

pour atteindre l'inaccessible étoile! 1795's Avatar
    K/K FD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQALB5sh4I0

love this program. modernity with restraint. musical placemetn of each element is what they do best. the straight line lift entry is very interesting. footwork can use some refining in edgework and posture. but like last season's ruled by secrecy....im in love.

Custom Title
    I'm really very impressed with P/B's FD. This will demand power and precision from them if they are to fully realize it - I hope they get there!

Custom Title
    OMG, I absoultely loved P and B's FD....that was so much more dynamic than V/M's....

Custom Title
    Anybody have youtube links of award ceremonies besides ladies which is up already I think.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieandcheetah View Post
    OMG, I absoultely loved P and B's FD....that was so much more dynamic than V/M's....

very tough program and very well skated and refined so early in the season. With this one can certainly make a move upwards. Working with Zhulin starts to pay off.

Custom Title
    Finally saw V/M's performance.....a thing of beauty.

Last season my favorite FD was D/W's (followed by V/M's Great Gig not far behind), but this season thus far it is definitely V/M's though for similar reasons. Lyrical, well interpreted, not-over acted, impressive technique made to look easy, amazing music choice. Everything thats lacking in D/W's phantom piece.
    Last edited by cornell08; 10-17-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Medalist
    My, V/M were sleek...and that early in the season, too! Was very skeptical when they announced their FD music, as Umbrellas was in the same vein but IMO horribly bland. This was minimalistic and sophisticated, their style is a bit too lovey-dovey for me in general but they really owned it here. Great costumes as well. But Zueva is not kidding when she says they remind her of Gordeeva/Grinkov, is she? Both the Mahler piece and the Flamenco she used for G/G/Katia as well...

Thanks to Doris for the live reports.

Very interested to read 1795's reviews of the Top 3 too.

Quote Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
    P/B: weird. but for some reason the theme of time really adds a sense of drama. their footwork improved. or maybe just their style just changed. lifts were a bit hectic. the motif of ticking is absolute genius in choreography. it just completes the whole essense of time and life.
    Not an original theme though - have you seen this?
    "Time Goes Millenium" - Winkler & Lohse's FD from 2000 Worlds.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQW7T7EdELE

Quote Originally Posted by nevergonnadance View Post
    I don't think V&M - or any future dancers/choreographers - need to honor how Mahler's piece was employed for a film.
    No, they don't, but Mahler's music is essentially serious and melancholic, therefore Tessa's description of it as "colourful, it's really joyful" seems incongruous to me. The choreography is absolutely stunning, and they skated it beautifully, but only Scott's expression was pitched correctly to match the tone of the piece. It felt strange to watch Tessa smiling at the beginning. The facial expressions should interpret the depth of this serious classical symphony throughout. Umbrellas of Cherbourg-light-frothy-romantic-young-love (which I adored) it isn't . This is a far more mature piece of music and style of routine, and both their performances should match it. I hope they do. It will then be a masterpiece.
    Last edited by La Rhumba; 10-18-2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by La Rhumba View Post
    No, they don't, but Mahler's music is essentially serious and melancholic, therefore Tessa's description of it as "colourful, it's really joyful" seems incongruous to me. The choreography is absolutely stunning, and they skated it beautifully, but only Scott's expression was pitched correctly to match the tone of the piece. It felt strange to watch Tessa smiling at the beginning. The facial expressions should interpret the depth of this serious classical symphony throughout. Umbrellas of Cherbourg-light-frothy-romantic-young-love (which I adored) it isn't . This is a far more mature piece of music and style of routine, and both their performances should match it. I hope they do. It will then be a masterpiece.
    Gustav Mahler wrote this particular movement as marriage proposal to, then, Alma Schindler. So, it is the love story of the Mahlers.
    However, they had personality issues: Gustav was a super artistic, introvert and Alma was totally the opposite... liberal, out-going (especially with artists). Alma never seemed to understand Gustav... At least to me she did not have that kind of depth as a person (Let's give her a break... she was 19 years younger than him). From Gustav's point-of-view, Alma was some sort of fire that he could not quite handle... she left a huge burn mark in his heart, despite of which he could not help but loving her... She was his source of inspiration as well as absolute desperation.
    Tessa's smile and her jolly description of the music reminds me so much of Alma Mahler and your uneasy feeling makes so much sense because the music is desperately compelling. It doesn't matter if her expression is too light for the music, because this irony seems the essence of Mahler's later music, especially in the symphonies.

Rinkside
    I really love V/M`s new FD. I think the coreography is breathtaking and that it shows a higher of level of maturity than the Umbrellas of Cherbourg (which I also loved). I think this program will get them an olympic medal. It`s a difficult program to skate, but they make it look easy. I also love love love Tessa`s dress, makes her look so elegant.

Custom Title
    Tessa's dresses rock the house this season, IMO, I love them all. They strike the perfect balance between maturity and freshness - the designer, IMO, is brilliant. When she did her hair up for Valse Triste there was a bit of teen playing dress-up about it, but now she looks like a genuinely mature young woman. Also, love the make-up she's wearing in all three programs.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by nevergonnadance View Post
    Tessa's dresses rock the house this season, IMO, I love them all. They strike the perfect balance between maturity and freshness - the designer, IMO, is brilliant. When she did her hair up for Valse Triste there was a bit of teen playing dress-up about it, but now she looks like a genuinely mature young woman. Also, love the make-up she's wearing in all three programs.
    Completely agree! She is just so classy and elegant. Usually when they skate, he always catches my attention more, but this season it's different. He's still amazing, but she's really stepped it up I find.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I
    No, they don't, but Mahler's music is essentially serious and melancholic, therefore Tessa's description of it as "colourful, it's really joyful" seems incongruous to me. The choreography is absolutely stunning, and they skated it beautifully, but only Scott's expression was pitched correctly to match the tone of the piece. It felt strange to watch Tessa smiling at the beginning. The facial expressions should interpret the depth of this serious classical symphony throughout.
    My thoughts exactly. I really don't see where she is hearing "colorful" and "joyful" in that piece. There is joy, yes, but it is mixed with a certain sorrow, bittersweet. If that is really Tessa's opinion of the music ten Marina Zueva must be reconsidering her music choice for them. I love, love, love the music, and the chreo is good, but If Tessa will keep smiling through the whole thing then the effect is ruined. I realize that it is the first time skating it this season, but the lifts looks sloppy, as they did last year. They need to work on those.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast