Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Free Dance

Custom Title Charlotte Elizabeth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nevergonnadance View Post
    Tessa's dresses rock the house this season, IMO, I love them all. They strike the perfect balance between maturity and freshness - the designer, IMO, is brilliant. When she did her hair up for Valse Triste there was a bit of teen playing dress-up about it, but now she looks like a genuinely mature young woman. Also, love the make-up she's wearing in all three programs.
    Comletely agree. They appear as classy elegant pair with a very good taste in music and clothes.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by katha View Post
    But Zueva is not kidding when she says they remind her of Gordeeva/Grinkov, is she? Both the Mahler piece and the Flamenco she used for G/G/Katia as well...
    As much as I loved V&M's new FD, I couldn't stop myself from seeing images of Katia's Celebration of a Life tribute to Sergei during certain parts of the music. I know V&M aren't using the exact same cuts of music as Katia and their interpretation of the music is completely different, but I couldn't help comparing them just the same.

Ironically, Katia said in "My Sergei" that Marina Zueva had always loved this particular piece of music, but never used it for G&G or any other skating couple because Marina only saw it as a skating solo. I'm impressed V&M managed to change Marina's mind on this point, but I imagine choreographing this program must have been an emotional experience for Marina.

That being said, I still loved V&M's new FD and I'm confident I'll be able to enjoy it in its own right once I've seen it a few more times...and I hope this music will give me much happier memories in Vancouver!

Custom Title
    Tessa isn't interpreting this music in a void, the program is a collaboration among Tessa, Scott, Igor and Marina, according to the skaters. According to Marina whenever she hears this music she thinks she's going to have a wonderful life. She, too, sees it as joyous and remembers it as a Mahler's proposal to his 'girlfriend'. Girlfriend is Marina's word.

As we all know, been said many times, there is no one interpretation of music as there is no fixed interpretation of a classic role in a play for instance. Marina talked about it. She said for Mahler it was considered by his girlfriend a proposal. For Katia, Marina says, it wasn't funeral music, it was about Katia using the music to rediscover the energy to go forward into a new life. For V&M it's a joyful romantic piece. There's a lot to most classical music and unless its attached to a book (i.e., an opera) often it can be applied successfully in unexpected ways.

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    V/M have a great FD this season. I am so glad that they went back to their usual 'style' after trying something different last season.

I hope they get rid of that lift where she jumps of his back though. It looks spectacular, but it doesn't fit into the overall mood of this program

pour atteindre l'inaccessible étoile! 1795's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by La Rhumba View Post
    Not an original theme though - have you seen this?
    "Time Goes Millenium" - Winkler & Lohse's FD from 2000 Worlds.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQW7T7EdELE
    oh wow. 100% literal but...they really took the theme of time and fully incorporated it to EVERY move. love the pedulum/ticking-like lifts

P/B should appropriate from winkler and lohse

Finally found Samuelson/Bates FD. When, oh when are they going to get the right FD? This still isn't it! They are such a young, team and this music just seems heavy, especially so when considering their youth. Maybe I'm alone in this but I think once again they've chosen music that doesn't really go anywhere, it was a bit one-note IMO.

The postives: maybe I don't remember their old programs well, but it looked like there was more variation in their step sequences. Their spins have improved a lot I think, and I also liked seeing new lifts. Some lifts were a bit similar to their old ones, but I appreciate that they weren't the exact same.

Emily and Evan...please get yourselves to an outside choreographer. I'd love to see them go a more modern route; their FDs always seem so...old fashioned to me.
    Last edited by lmarie086; 10-19-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Custom Title
    My thoughts exactly! They have so much potential and didn't they score the highest TES more than once last season? The music seems too old and cliche for such a young and promising pair. Emily's dresses also need to change-- it just varies slightly each season with color....the shredded skirt thing is so last decade.

I can see why one might think Tessa smiles too much or this program is too 'joyful,' especially given the literature on Mahlers piece and Katia's performance.....but I think it works here. If I didn't know any of the background connected to this piece and I just heard the music, I would think that it was about young love. The pair, the look, the music, the choreography just fit together so well here that I think I'm going think back to this program whenever I hear this piece in the future. They nearly brought me to tears!

Oh, and Marina Zoueva is a goddess
    Last edited by cornell08; 10-19-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Custom Title
    I LOVE the no-hands besti-squat lift and my only real disappointment in the free dance was Tessa didn't hit the one foot dismount. I like it because I do think it fits - I think her light as air dismount (when she gets it) is an incredible moment emotionally, technically and choreographically/musically. I like the piece as well because there's a slight undertone of edginess - it's lyrical but with a sort of sneaky subtle contemporary skew and I think that move helps with that.

I've watched V/M's free dance a number of times now and I just can't quite get into it as much as I would like to. It is a beautiful program but something is just...missing. I don't know if it's the music or what. I love their lifts but agree that they need to be cleaned up - the first one Scott really struggled with. I guess you could say I'm a bit disappointed with it - hopefully it picks up steam throughout the year!

Found the Kerrs as well. I like it! It doesn't resonate with me as strongly as last years did right away, but it'll grow on me. Though there were a few points that seemed somewhat disconnected from the music, I thought it was well done overall. I suspect that disconnect will disappear for me with repeated viewings.

I love how much more confident they seem since moving to Platov. I truly think he's done wonders for them. I'm rooting for them to win silver at NHK!

pour atteindre l'inaccessible étoile! 1795's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    Finally found Samuelson/Bates FD. When, oh when are they going to get the right FD? This still isn't it! They are such a young, team and this music just seems heavy, especially so when considering their youth. Maybe I'm alone in this but I think once again they've chosen music that doesn't really go anywhere, it was a bit one-note IMO.

The postives: maybe I don't remember their old programs well, but it looked like there was more variation in their step sequences. Their spins have improved a lot I think, and I also liked seeing new lifts. Some lifts were a bit similar to their old ones, but I appreciate that they weren't the exact same.

Emily and Evan...please get yourselves to an outside choreographer. I'd love to see them go a more modern route; their FDs always seem so...old fashioned to me.
    so true, i feel that they are "stuck"in this generic genre of programs. nonetheless, they did improve. theyve matured greatly from the first time i saw them at 08 nationals.
    an outside choreographer would be nice to mend their really rigid and strong posture to a more expressive and personal style

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I LOVE the no-hands besti-squat lift and my only real disappointment in the free dance was Tessa didn't hit the one foot dismount. I like it because I do think it fits - I think her light as air dismount (when she gets it) is an incredible moment emotionally, technically and choreographically/musically. I like the piece as well because there's a slight undertone of edginess - it's lyrical but with a sort of sneaky subtle contemporary skew and I think that move helps with that.
    I really don't like that move at all...it looks like a trick "look at us...no hands" and does not seem to fit the emotional romantic mood.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Really enjoyed the Kerrs and NavBoms. Watching V&M, at first I was a bit bored. It wasn't grabbing me. But as it went on I liked it more. I enjoyed the voids from P&B!

Edgy Details
    Tessa isn't interpreting this music in a void, the program is a collaboration among Tessa, Scott, Igor and Marina, according to the skaters. According to Marina whenever she hears this music she thinks she's going to have a wonderful life. She, too, sees it as joyous and remembers it as a Mahler's proposal to his 'girlfriend'. Girlfriend is Marina's word.

As we all know, been said many times, there is no one interpretation of music as there is no fixed interpretation of a classic role in a play for instance. Marina talked about it. She said for Mahler it was considered by his girlfriend a proposal. For Katia, Marina says, it wasn't funeral music, it was about Katia using the music to rediscover the energy to go forward into a new life. For V&M it's a joyful romantic piece. There's a lot to most classical music and unless its attached to a book (i.e., an opera) often it can be applied successfully in unexpected ways.
    ITA with you!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8