Ladies LP | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

herro

On the Ice
Thanks, that helps a lot.
So I guess this program is more for the judges and experts to appreciate?
I think the casual fans like myself were looking around and asking 'so that's it?'

Yea, a lot more goes on into making these programs. Coaches and skaters think about every single movement, transition, etc. before they finalize their programs. Little details (like holding a spin for one more revolution or a spiral for a couple more seconds) can lead to significant differences in score. It's obvious that Orser and Yuna really get this system. If you watch some of the documentaries and what-not that talk about Yuna, they explain a lot of these strategies for maximizing every single detail to get as many points as they can. On top of that, she is a very naturally fluid and elegant skater.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
*Sniper*
I think the casual fans like myself were looking around and asking 'so that's it?'
I guess, that you should forget about competition and judges to really appreciate it. It's just beautiful and has a lot of elaborate details.
Of course, it's very subjective.

harmy18

Rinkside
Protocols don't lie.

That's the point~~ even Yuna did not fully rotate in some of her jumps, she would still get huge +GOE, that's why I think it's unfair for other skaters

As for Mao, I think she should change. pls Mao, I'm tired of your 3A~~

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think though that some aspects of Yu-na's skating aren't noticable on the computer screen. For example Kim skates with a lot of speed. As for her spins, I doubt she got high GOE for her spins just credit for them.

Good point. It might be more apparent watching it on an HDTV.

Well, the supposedly most exciting competition turned out to be a yawner. SP took all the suspense out of it. Meh...

Some of the other Gp events, even with lesser fields, might be more exciting because the scores might be closer.

gourry

Final Flight
Yay! Congratulations Yuna, Mao, Yukari!!!

Yuna, what can I say. You are the best!!!! When she missed the flip, I was so shocked. It's so uncharictaristic of her, almost bizzare. I wonder if the ice had some problem? I don't know...
I absolutely love her blue costumes. Very classy and she looks just stunning in that blue.:love::love:
I'm most impressed with her steps. It looks so fluid! Smooth!! Her skating skill really improved. I just admire her more and more...

And to anyone who doesn't get her score...
Well, her jumps are super solid, intricate movements in and out of jumps, tano, everything she does garners +GOE. THAT is her strategy: to make what you have as perfect as they get.
It's not new, you already knew that! Uh... didn't you..? Oh, well... then...
Some people mocked that strategy, saying that she doesn't challenge new tricks. I'm just so happy her efforts are paying off.

As for Mao, I'm glad she had much better showing than JO and yesterday's SP. I have to confess that after that SP I thought she might have a totallmelt down here. I was wrong. Good job, Mao!
I can't say I love the dress though. It's just... let's say it's not my cup of tea.
I actually prefer this LP to her then LP and now SP a lot. A LOT.
I wish her to consider to get a new SP. Tango. Caprice. Lavender. Or totally new one!

Yukari, I know she had a shoulder injury. You did an excellent job! At first I really didn't like this Firebird LP, but now I kind of like it! I'll like it even more if she drop her pants and wear skirt. Her spirals are much better and spins are beautiful as usual. But her jumps.....

Carolina looked very beautiful in her blue costume and I think the music fits her very well. If the jumps are there, I'll really like this routine I think. But it seems like coach was not the source of her problem.

Caroline looked very nervous and almost on the verge of crying to me! I'm a little worried... Kudos, Caroline!!

Last edited:

bmelanie

On the Ice

I suppose you could look at it like that :p though I always feel you don't need to be an expert in order to enjoy skating. I think here Yuna's attempting to make people see that there's more to skating than just doing one jump after another, there's all sorts of things you can do in between elements. It's a daring choice really, for a girl who's always been lauded as a great performer - she's going for the sophisticated and rather than the flashy, and that's not an easy choice to make, especially in an olympic season.

ks777

Record Breaker
I am watching ladies LP on CBC right now. Kurt says he doesn't get why Mao is with Tarasova. There is no chemistry between them. The music is way too heavy. I feel the same way.

skate4ever

Rinkside

At the same time, other casual fans like myself were going, "wow, that was awesome."

Last edited:

coconutpunch

Rinkside
Now, I'm most concerned about CaroZ. Really, her bizarre techniques and lack of speed are even more glaring now that she's grown up!
Her 2A is even more tentative than before. :frown: Eek.

As for her spins, I doubt she got high GOE for her spins just credit for them.
A +1.00 on her final combination spin is pretty darn impressive to me; that's almost on par with Alissa.
I love Concerto in F, and Yu-Na certainly brought it - congrats to her. Mao and Yukari both did much better than at JO, and I certainly hope their condition continues to get better as the season moves along.

And I'm glad ElGed didn't crash and burn today, even with the fall on the salchow. :clap:

figurejennah

On the Ice
Sigh

I found this video on youtube...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf7fsFv49dI
yu-na is totaly over scored am am no doubt about that ...she got a +2 goe for the combination!!!!that's a real mistery...:|:|

I am sorry to say, but this is just ridiculous.
Must I post a video clip of a skater who attempts to do a TA,
only rotates 2.75, and lands and receives full credit?

All the commentators around the globe praise yuna for her amazing
jumps, saying that her speed going into the jumps are amazing, and
she jumps like a man. It's truly a rare quality that she can jump so high
and far, and lands with a full rotation. I can't believe that
there are video clips like this on youtube already.
Seriously, some people need to do something better with their time than this.

Last edited:

jiggs

On the Ice
I think Carolina Kostner's decline since last year's Worlds can be attributed to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yke7MZGjPY&feature=fvw

When you fall in love, figure skating can all of a sudden look and feel very unimportant.

Now that is just not fair to Carolina.
She has sacrificed so much in order to make this work again. She has given up her home, has moved continent, everything. She is working her a*** off over there. She is always very focused on practice and her work. Don't blame it on her relationship with Alex, cause that is just not fair, and more than that, just not true.

The only problem this girl has is her confidence. She has perfect run-throughs in practice, perfect warm-ups, and 15 minutes later she just cannot show the judges that. To me, that looks more like she just doesn't feel comfortable in competition.

Last edited:

SusieH

On the Ice
Just like last year, this year I also love Yuna's SP more than her LP. Her SP is fun and upbeat, just drop-dead gorgeous while her LP is more subtlely built. But I already liked this LP a lot. I believe it will grow on me more and more as the season goes. I love Gershwin, and I'm truly glad that Yuna and her team have chosen this sophisticated piece for her LP.

Something does bother me a little about her performance. That is, for several times I felt like she was performing the Bond girl with the same facial expression in her LP. Someone has mentioned that this LP music has a jazzy feel to it, and I totally agree. Since jazz is very different from a 007 soundtrack medley, I wish she can present a different Gershwin jazzy persona here. That said, overrall I still enjoyed her performance a lot and look forward to seeing this program very much in the future :)

I do hope her score could be lower.:) I love her skating, but this is just the first event of the season.They shouldn't be that generous and should leave some room for her to improve. I'm not saying she doesn't deserve the score or complaining about corrupt or incorrect judging or anything. Looking at the protocol, I assume the score is understandable. I just think they were too generous.

jovani2293

On the Ice
Yu na Kim skated beautiful but i dont think she earn some of the GOE she gone. They are too high. the jump are good but not that good.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
I suppose you could look at it like that :p though I always feel you don't need to be an expert in order to enjoy skating. I think here Yuna's attempting to make people see that there's more to skating than just doing one jump after another, there's all sorts of things you can do in between elements. It's a daring choice really, for a girl who's always been lauded as a great performer - she's going for the sophisticated and rather than the flashy, and that's not an easy choice to make, especially in an olympic season.

I see, so obviously she and her team are that confident.
And I would think that Brian Orser, having missed out on that illusive Olympic gold twice, could've easily gone for the all-out drama and spectacle and left no stone unturned for both the judges and audiences alike, but he didn't.

harmy18

Rinkside
I am sorry to say, but this is just ridiculous.
Must I post a video clip of a skater who attempts to do a TA,
only rotates 2.75, and lands and receives full credit?

All the commentators around the globe praise yuna for her amazing
jumps, saying that her speed going into the jumps are amazing, and
she jumps like a man. It's truly a rare quality that she can jump so high
and far, and lands with a full rotation. I can't believe that
there are video clips like this on youtube already.
Seriously, some people need to do something better with their time than this.

so is it you who did that ridiculous thing??
actually I think she rotated 3 but you guys insist saying 2.75, so I found another who you thought rotated 3 but actually rotated 2.5:chorus:

anyway it's true that someone did get +GOE for not fully rotating, but I think it's OK for that whether she rotated or not would not affect the final results~

i love to skate

Medalist
Tarasova has ruined Mao. I do not understand their music choices or concepts for her programs. They do not suit her or play to her strengths....she needs a change ASAP!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Some of the other Gp events, even with lesser fields, might be more exciting because the scores might be closer.

ladies has always been a snoozefest as far as I'm concerned. this event was no exception...

give me the men and the ice dance (and even pairs!) any day!

CalebsMom

Rinkside
GUYS, please.
Let's think logically. At worlds she got 207.71 points, ok? Here she got 210.03. Where she got inflated scores if she CLEARLY improved?

And remember the situation at Worlds. I understand your concerns about margins, but don't make it look like something that is not. If she got inflated score, she got ones at the Worlds and at 4CC then. Please, don't be rude. Stay calm, stay cool, and if you like other skaters more than Yuna, support them instead of scolding. Please.

Plus, at Worlds, Yu-Na popped 3S and her last spin element was counted zero, yet was still able to pull out 207.71. Today, she missed 3F and got zero point and received 210.03. IMO, her score is far from inflated.