Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies LP

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I could go either way. In the current system the short and long programs are like the first period and the last two of a hockey game -- most total goals wins.

In the old system the short program was more like the semi-finals. The top finishers won the right to go for all the marbles in the final. (Sort of.)

Well, we've got Miki Ando next week and then Joannie Rochette the week following. I've got my fingers crossed for a good start from both.
    If Miki or Joannie break 200 in the next two week I will smile ear to ear cause ladies and gentle men we have a competition. (I think Miki has the potential but Joannie needs a 3/3) Mao might do it herself next week.I starting to think Mao is just having confidence issues. She is starting to hesitate before some of her jumps espesially the second 3A; The ones she hesitate on seem to be the one she make mistakes on; I think if she could find a way to relax and trust herself she would skate cleaner.
    Last edited by enlight78; 10-17-2009 at 05:29 PM.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by enlight78 View Post
    If Miki or Joannie break 200 in the next two week I will smill ear to ear cause ladies and gental men we have a competion.
    Dear Lord, let's hope.

Of course, the opposite could also happen, but I'm not going to wish that on anyone.

Custom Title
    camion
    Yu-na's spiral has never been a strong suit for her imo.
    It's true that her spiral is not perfect, but she is improving it.

However, today in the LP her energy in the spiral was not there (and I don't mean that in a hyper way or MK feel the joy of figure skating sense) but it just seemed to pass by & her control was not good either. Just seemed like a complacent skate to me. Her facial expressions mismatched with the music and her provocateur, Bond-girl character seeped into the program too much. It is a Gershwin piece so the jazzy parts do require to exude confidence, slyness & such, but I think in a much more ethereal manner. And I don't underestimate that Yu-na can interpret more subdued music.
    Hm... Maybe it's true, but I felt that she just wanted it to be that way. It's not like she is interpreting something in that program really. It has no story at all, she is supposed to be herself. I'm not sure if that can really be, but at least the intention is that.

Look at the beauty of Lark Ascending (the frail & willowy beauty, my goodness!! I couldn't take my eyes off) or her exhibition numbers like Ben & Gold.
    I agree about Lark and Ben, but Gold? It's was one of the most boring numbers I have ever seen. It's not terrible, but even I don't like it much. It wasn't created for Yuna in the first place.

Marie_S
    I really hate to make this a Yu-na vs. Mao thing
    Mao vs Yuna is really silly thing. First of all it is and it was very unfair to other skaters. It's not like there is only Mao and Yuna. And even now when most of people think that Yuna already won, I can't be sure about that. No one knows how things may turn. That's the reason why I'm always focusing on the performance itself and not on the points.

And that's what Yuna does.

R.D.
    I HATE predictable competitions.
    But it's not Yuna who's the one to blame for that. I would like to see Mao and others skate cleaner too, but not because of competition, just for the pure pleasure of watching.

While I believe Kim was overscored, she won fair and square.
    I still can't understand, where she is overscored? We could put those programs in last Worlds and she would win with the same points. Those programs aren't worse than the last ones. They are very different, but not worse. And let's look at Mao. Did she skate better than at last Worlds? I don't think so. Besides her programs are much more controversial than Yuna's. And her SP looks very similar to her last LP. There is no doubt that judges wouldn't like it very much. So they gave it less points. And her outfit...

There is nothing strange in all this. Yuna got a big margin but that is because she did it very well and other skaters not so much. I think Mao could surpass the 200 points mark if skated well. She always was a tough competitor. She just has bad times right now. I don't know why, as I'm not her fan, but it's clear that she is not that she used to be.
    Last edited by Daniel5555; 10-17-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Eien.
    I'm expecting something from Japan's Skating Federation regarding Mao and Tatiana. Do you think they'll fire Tatiana?

Custom Title
    Dipyramidal
    I'm expecting something from Japan's Skating Federation regarding Mao and Tatiana. Do you think they'll fire Tatiana?
    I don't think they'll fire her in the middle of GP series, but maybe after New Year... By the way, it's not clear whether or not Tarasova is the main factor behind what's going on. As I know it's Mao herself who insists to keep practising 3A instead of moving to something different. Of course, Tarasova is responsible too in any case.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel5555 View Post
    Dipyramidal

I don't think they'll fire her in the middle of GP series, but maybe after New Year... By the way, it's not clear whether or not Tarasova is the main factor behind what's going on. As I know it's Mao herself who insists to keep practising 3A instead of moving to something different. Of course, Tarasova is responsible too in any case.
    I agree. In an article I read, TAT said Mao would do only one 3A because the long setup time distracts the whole program. Then there came all this three 3A goal so I was a bit confused. Maybe it is Mao, not TAT, who wants bet all her money to three 3As.
    But then again it was TAT who said Mao will attempt 3A-3T combination, so I have no clue who wants what and who is making the plans and everything.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel5555 View Post
    Dipyramidal

Yes, I remember reading somewhere earlier this year that it was Mao herself who insisted on putting 2 3As in her LP.

I've got to admit that I'm surprised that Mao is still doing 2 3As in her LP. I thought Tarasova was going to do to Mao what she did with Ilia Kulik back in the day: difficult, limit-pushing programs the season before the Olympics to build stamina, etc, but slighty easier programs during the Olympic season itself so that clean skates would more likely be achieved.

Custom Title
    I agree that it would be more interesting for Vancouver at this point if Miki or Joanie were to step it up and possibly go 200+.

But personally, I'm not too much of a fan of Miki or Joanie's skating. Sure they've got pretty consistent jumps, but artistically, I don't think they come near Yuna or Mao. I'm not trying to be malicious here, but I was never blown away or captivated by their presentation. They both... kinda... bore me. I've also thought that Miki is sometimes overscored. I give her credit for the athleticism she brings (no doubt about that) but her skating isn't too exciting.

What do you guys think? Do you think they will be the ones to challenge Yuna? I still think Mao has the greatest chance. She has the jumps and the artistry. It's just that TAT and the current programs don't do a good job showcasing that.

Down With It
    But it's not Yuna who's the one to blame for that. I would like to see Mao and others skate cleaner too, but not because of competition, just for the pure pleasure of watching.
    I should make it clear that I'm not putting it on Kim.

Of course everyone else should step it up. Otherwise (it appears) she will sleepwalk to the OGM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by herro View Post
    I agree that it would be more interesting for Vancouver at this point if Miki or Joanie were to step it up and possibly go 200+.

But personally, I'm not too much of a fan of Miki or Joanie's skating. Sure they've got pretty consistent jumps, but artistically, I don't think they come near Yuna or Mao. I'm not trying to be malicious here, but I was never blown away or captivated by their presentation. They both... kinda... bore me. I've also thought that Miki is sometimes overscored. I give her credit for the athleticism she brings (no doubt about that) but her skating isn't too exciting.

What do you guys think? Do you think they will be the ones to challenge Yuna? I still think Mao has the greatest chance. She has the jumps and the artistry. It's just that TAT and the current programs don't do a good job showcasing that.
    If Kim gets a challenge, yeah - it'll be from those two. But that's a big IF.

Down With It
    In fact, if she wins the OGM I don't see her sticking around.

Asada might, though.

Custom Title
    There's only one person (if I recall correctly) who has ever beaten both Yu-Na and Mao at the same time in a single competition....and her name is Miki Ando, at 2007 Worlds.

But I still think Mao may surprise us, though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by herro View Post

Well I really liked both of Joannie's SP and LP from two seasons ago. For me she is exciting skater but I know she's not everybody's cup of tea. But anyway, IMO she has all the basics and obviously her getting confident affects her positively, so I won't count her out! Ever!
    As for Miki, I've never really got her style but she seems to be very strong technically. So I won't count her out either.
    Mao is Mao and she is capable of bounce back so I won't count her out either.
    Wow, what am I doing... I'm counting in everybody...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gourry View Post
    Wow, what am I doing... I'm counting in everybody...
    Haha, yea. At this point I don't really know. I've been following skating for awhile, but it's really been just the first competition of the season. I'm sure things will get much more interesting as the season develops. I do think that if anyone can touch Yuna, it'll be either Mao, Joanie, or Miki. I've thought of Caroline but with the coaching change and her unpredictability, I'm just not sure. Sadly enough, US skaters (ladies) aren't as strong as I'd like them to be right now. I love what Alexe is doing though.

Well... I guess we have to wait for Sasha also to judge how the US ladies will do in Vancouver...

Quote Originally Posted by enlight78 View Post
    If Miki or Joannie break 200 in the next two week I will smile ear to ear cause ladies and gentle men we have a competition. (I think Miki has the potential but Joannie needs a 3/3)
    Miki can definitely do it. As you said, Joannie needs a 3+3 combination. She has done a 3F+3T in competition, but I think her 3T+3T is more consistent, so it would be nice to be Joannie doing a 3T+3T. Mao can also do it.

The best of luck to all three of them!

Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast