Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast
Results 586 to 600 of 614

Thread: Ladies LP

  1. #586
    Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    whole post

  2. #587
    can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    And don't worry... if the largest proof we have of your deprived childhood and resultant brain damage is the misconception that Michelle Kwan isn't the GREATEST. OF. ALL. TIME. no worries... we here at GS are more than happy to assist you in correcting that problem.

    Start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HldRjxM0VKU

    Oh and by the way ~ Welcome to Golden Skate. Post Long. Post Often. And don't pick fights. (Toni doesn't like it)
    I already like it here. Agreements, disagreements, drama...it's irresistible.

    I probably shouldn't have said what I said, because my "favourite skater" as the one who has already made the biggest impression on me won't change, and my favourite program by her wasn't the one that was her most technically difficult or even artistically complex. It's the sentimental attachment to her Tango de Roxanne. So if Michelle had that effect on the most number of spectators (as well as inspiring a whole generation to follow after her, including mah girl), then I'm not going to (nor do I ever) obsess over her technicalities. There's no denying Michelle was probably the most complete package, and I cannot fully explain why I never got hooked in.

  3. #588
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,835
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    I already like it here. Agreements, disagreements, drama...it's irresistible.

    I probably shouldn't have said what I said, because my "favourite skater" as the one who has already made the biggest impression on me won't change, and my favourite program by her wasn't the one that was her most technically difficult or even artistically complex. It's the sentimental attachment to her Tango de Roxanne. So if Michelle had that effect on the most number of spectators (as well as inspiring a whole generation to follow after her, including mah girl), then I'm not going to (nor do I ever) obsess over her technicalities. There's no denying Michelle was probably the most complete package, and I cannot fully explain why I never got hooked in.
    For the same reason I am from Detroit, my husband is a University of Michigan grad and I STILL root for the Ohio State University. Because I can. No worries. Everyone here as their favorites and we are passionate about skating overall - GS is a great board and we tend to play nice here vs. other boards. But its an Olympic Year and that brings the crazy.

    But seriously - your childhood was deprived if you don't see the awesomness that is La Kwan... C'mon over to the dark side... try it. you'll like it.

  4. #589
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    actually Toni doesn't like teh suggestion that Golden Skate is MKF Jr.

  5. #590
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    actually Toni doesn't like [the] suggestion that Golden Skate is MKF Jr.
    :chorus:

    How'd a thread about the TEB LP become one about Kwan anyway?

    Suppose I need not ask though...
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 10-22-2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: merging... tsk

  6. #591
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Michelle had some of the best programs ever and the strongest skating skills of ANY modern female skater.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    Michelle Kwan isn't the GREATEST. OF. ALL. TIME.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCOSurfer View Post

    Oh, here you are. The very ones I was referring to earlier:

    Quote Originally Posted by silverlining View Post
    some of you are still going, "Oh Michelle, we miss you Michelle... There's not going to be another skater like you, Michelle~~."
    Why are you talking about a retired skater in a forum for a recently finished competition?

    I really feel sorry for Michelle for having uncivilized fans like you guys who don't hesitate to call others "visually impaired", "with deprived childhood" and "having brain damage".

    How low can you get?
    And I thought Yu-na's and Mao's fans were bad. Phew.

  7. #592
    can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,801
    Actually silverlining, I called myself "possibly deprived and brain-damaged", nothing's been taken personally on the return.

  8. #593
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    you have to take Kwanford Wife at face value... some of us love the sport and are serious about it, but we like to take it 'to the extreme' and have a good laugh.

    it's okay, it's all chill.

  9. #594
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,835
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    How'd a thread about the TEB LP become one about Kwan anyway?

    Suppose I need not ask though...
    She came up and its fun to poke the bears...

    Quote Originally Posted by silverlining View Post
    Oh, here you are. The very ones I was referring to earlier:



    Why are you talking about a retired skater in a forum for a recently finished competition?

    I really feel sorry for Michelle for having uncivilized fans like you guys who don't hesitate to call others "visually impaired", "with deprived childhood" and "having brain damage".

    How low can you get?
    And I thought Yu-na's and Mao's fans were bad. Phew.
    Please refrain from changing my responses. Disagree all you want but its rude to change others opinions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    you have to take Kwanford Wife at face value... some of us love the sport and are serious about it, but we like to take it 'to the extreme' and have a good laugh.

    it's okay, it's all chill.
    Exactly! I love skating and I learn a lot here in possibly the last bastion of quality figure skating on-line discussion. But I'm also here for the fun & giggles. My real life is stressful enough and I'm passionate about a sport that my family & friends think of at best every four years or at worse a joke.

  10. #595
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverlining
    ...some of you are still going, "Oh Michelle, we miss you Michelle... There's not going to be another skater like you, Michelle~~."
    You make it sound like that's a bad thing.
    Last edited by Mathman; 10-22-2009 at 05:47 PM.

  11. #596
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    You make it sound like that's a bad thing.
    It's not bad, per se, but it does get repetitive. :indiff:

  12. #597
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,032
    KW I see that you figured out how to multi quote. Should I warn the Michelle detractors.

  13. #598
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    KW I see that you figured out how to multi quote. Should I warn the Michelle detractors.
    she knew she was skating on thin ice (over used pun! ) with me with this whole MK lovefest so she didn't want to further poke the bear!

  14. #599
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lloret de Mar, Spain
    Posts
    377
    Kwanford Wife
    What was it before? Ice Capades? As for the "now its more sport" specificially - you can really tell the difference because the skating is so technically superior than before... from the full sets of jumps to the clean execution to the excellent technique of the top contenders to the overall quality of skating...
    There are a lot of people who think that IT IS technically superior. Actually I was the one who asked about this, because when I started to watch it I remembered "past" performances, so I really was in trouble about this.
    Overall quality of skating? I don't think that girls of this years were born with less talent than girls before. Maybe it's really harder now...

    Listen, I done fighting the CoP system is detrimental to skating argument - but to say that what we're watching is more like a REAL sport is crazy. Why is it so hard to admit that the quality of skating is suffering because the emphasis has moved away from to perfection to rack 'em up? Gymnastics went through a major shift in technical requirements and the athletes rose to the challenge. Why not skating?
    What gymnastics?
    If you mean rhythmic gymnastics, that is a sport that has way more troubles than figure skating. If you are talking about artistic gymnastics, I don't know anything about it.

    But anyway, let's get to our point.
    That is Michelle Kwan from 2002 at QR Worlds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-RaCEW9xWM (and I choose this performance only because of video quality, the performance with higher marks looks like trash).
    And that's... Yuna Kim from 2009 Worlds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTJQdaT6NME
    I'm not trying to say that Yuna's version is better, for the God's sake, I assume it's inferior in any case in that our conversation. But is it really that much inferior that the quality is "suffering"? If you enjoyed first program, why can't you enjoy the second? Are they so different?

    Now OK, I'm bringing Yuna here only because you're talking about Kwan who is legendary skater and so on. So naturally I have to select, possibly, the best lady skater right now.

    Well, overall... I find all this talk about declining quality and so on just too subjective and basically I think that people just don't want to open their minds to new skaters and new programs that have different style, but are not really that inferior in any case.

  15. #600
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by PROKOFIEV View Post
    I'm very disappointed by Yu-na's program this year. Her score was inflated! I know that her 3Lz combo is beautiful, but her other elements are just plain mediocre. Look at her layback. Her toe was pointed down, there was no attitude position, and it's slow. There is nothing unique about her spins. Her spiral sequence is nothing spectacular. I don't see any flexibility in her positions that would deserve any plus GOEs. Also, I've noticed that she always puts the same jumps in her program.
    Really? Hmm...do you think perchance you could be a "leetle" biased in your views?
    Yu-na is a wonderful skater, but I REALLY don't think that she deserves all the hype that she is getting at all. A beautiful flip and lutz is not everything in skating. All of her elements need improvement.
    So you're really going to make the argument that the only reason why Yuna received her scores were STRICTLY due to the beautiful flip and lutz jumps? Hmm...were you WATCHING the LP? Yuna OMITTED the flip. Her triple combination was the lutz and LOOP. Why bother saying you think Yuna is a "wonderful" skater if you only admire her triple lutz/3 loop combo? Your argument lacks reason.

    I feel that her music and dress this year are very plain and flat.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think the judges give points for ugly outfits, do you? I mean, I could also make the same arguments about the outfits of some of the skaters, but that would be just juvenile, don't you think?

    She acts very arrogant outside of the rink, and I know that many will disagree, but this is my true and honest opinion.
    How exactly do you know this? Do you know her personally? Has she dissed you in a personal way? Or is this just your "observation" after watching her competition and when she's at the Kiss-and-Cry area? This is a little childish. You ARE aware of that, right? Just because this is your "true and honest opinion" doesn't make it RIGHT.

    Quote Originally Posted by PROKOFIEV View Post
    Why does everyone always bring the Japanese media into this? That has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make...
    Please enlighten us with your great logic and expound on the point that you were trying to make because obviously missed out on it. If you don't like Yuna's skating, then that's a totally valid and acceptable opinion. But don't stoop to these childish antics. It just makes you look mean-hearted.

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •