Pairs Free Skate | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free Skate

oxade21

Match Penalty
Based on what we saw today, I'd say the pairs team that is going to play spoiler at the Olympics are Mukhortova/Trankov. They've shown us they can score big in the SP last season....if they can keep on skating clean LPs like today, I'd say they have one heck of a chance.

And even as a Canadian myself, I think it'll be hilarious if a RUSSIAN team won Oly gold skating to 'Love Story'.

M/T are inconsistent. You just never know how they are going to show up. It would be interesting to see next week what K/S show. This season look very interesting. I would not be so confident in predicting the podium in Vancouver in Pairs.

i love to skate

Medalist
I thought the program was predictable. Same old story/style from season to season.

Well after their horrible year last year I am happy to see them returning to what they are comfortable with. I don't know why people say they always do the same thing. The only other program that had a romantic feel was The Blower's Daughter which they really only used for a year (the year before they only fully skated it twice).

evangeline

Record Breaker
M/T are inconsistent. You just never know how they are going to show up.

Hmm, I'm not really sure about that. If I recall correctly, M/T consistently have good SPs and really dreadful LPs. Since they've actually appeared to buck the trend at TEB by actually skating 2 back-to-back programs well, the repressed optimist within me is hoping that Vasiliev and M/T have somehow worked to resolve their LP woes. If that is the case, I think they will definitely fit into the dark horse category for Vancouver.

But to be honest, I'd say that K/S have more of a chance in Vancouver than M/T...the Moskvina factor has to count for something, no?

oxade21

Match Penalty
Hmm, I'm not really sure about that. If I recall correctly, M/T consistently have good SPs and really dreadful LPs. Since they've actually appeared to buck the trend at TEB by actually skating 2 back-to-back programs well, the repressed optimist within me is hoping that Vasiliev and M/T have somehow worked to resolve their LP woes. If that is the case, I think they will definitely fit into the dark horse category for Vancouver.

But to be honest, I'd say that K/S have more of a chance in Vancouver than M/T...the Moskvina factor has to count for something, no?

M/T usually have at least one event they do well in both parts of competition. I hope TEB was not that one event.
I would not be so sure about K/S. It is not about Moskvina, it is about what Piseev think is the better chance. Honestly, between those two, the ones who deliver will be favored.

sfgirl

On the Ice
No matter what people say about D/D being boring, their skating to peaceful music always warms my heart and makes me feel good.
I cannot resist to say, that to me it seems that he still has feelings for Jessica. But of course, I might be wrong. :)

I think Jessica is beautiful, and I love the simple elegance she shows in choosing her skating dresses. :love:

Charlotte Elizabeth

On the Ice
Can't forget the fact that its a Canadian Olympics!

I feel pretty bad for S/S....as much as I dont entirely love them, I was content with them winning Worlds and started to like them...=/....I reaaally hope a non-Russian/Soviet country will win a OGM finally...
Why? If they are the best, they are the best and they get it. I hope it will all be up to who is the best at that night.

Last edited:

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Haven't read the whole thread but talking about the OGM...forgetting about Shen and Zhao? I'm one who thinks they will be taking the gold medal.

Tigger

Final Flight
Haven't read the whole thread but talking about the OGM...forgetting about Shen and Zhao? I'm one who thinks they will be taking the gold medal.

As do I and if they do get their Fairy Tale Ending, there won't be enough Kleenex in this house for me during that particular Medal Ceremony. :biggrin:

Charlotte Elizabeth...One thing you're going to see ad nauseam around here for the next few months will the Yu-Na bots vs the Mao bots and "All the Canadian skaters will be winning medals because it's a Canadian Olympics." I personally find that more than a tad insulting to Team Canada and their accomplishments, but all you can do is try to ignore it and not let it get to you.

If this weekend's any indication though...It's going to be a looooonnnng season following skating online I'm sad to say.

gold12345

Medalist
I cannot resist to say, that to me it seems that he still has feelings for Jessica. But of course, I might be wrong. :)

Yeah, I think so too. As for their LP, it wasn't bad... I don't really like the music, but at least they seemed to make a genuine attempt at showing emotion out there. Didn't love it, but it's better than Carmen!

M/T....solid technicians but no connection to the music at all - except for the last five seconds when he carries her.

I agree about the lack of connection to the music. I was a little underwhelmed with M/T's performance, despite the fact they skated clean. Their program is easier than last year, so that might help their consistency. I don't know if it will be enough to beat K/S, who will in all likelihood have more difficult content. I'm just not feeling the "Love Story" music, the choreography, etc. They look very comfortable already with the program, which is good for them, but it's just all a little blah to me.

S/S- I felt bad for them. What a meltdown, but it happens to everyone. I have never seen a pair team at this level do so many single throws in competition! They did the exact same thing in their first GP event last season. No other team would have been able to break 100 with such a disastrous performance. But maybe the scoring was a little on the high side in general today.

Last edited:

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
I preferred D&D's short to the long which looked and was skated exactly like every long of theirs I've ever seen. Dress in pink with ribbons put Blower's Daughter on the cd player it's romantic, dress in black with severe make-up and it's Carmen coming through the speakers and okay, let's call this one dark and dramatic. Meantime same skaters same program skated exact same way with the same posture, energy, style and program design.

Doesn't matter, they need to keep their elements consistent because that's what will put them on the podium in an Olympic year when weird things tend to happen. Good first step for them here to hold it together and get silver.

beep_beep

Medalist
Today was a fluke for S/S, they'll come back from it (hopefully they won't pull a Caro K...). And hopefully with better costumes...

And M/T? I thought that going for Love Story was the worst idea in the history of skating bad ideas.

But after watching it, I can't help it: I love it. (guess I am that tasteless :p)

D/D were good, but same old, same old...

victoria90

On the Ice
And M/T? I thought that going for Love Story was the worst idea in the history of skating bad ideas.

But after watching it, I can't help it: I love it. (guess I am that tasteless :p)

I thought the same thing... and yet... here I am, in my computer, watching it again :laugh:

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
Love Story worked for M&T, it was nothing like S&P's in the look, style or skating. I liked it better - S&P's had way too much pantomime for me. S&P also semi-looked like the actors in Love Story, her being brunette, him having curly/sandy hair. M&T don't look like that and it helped. Nice program. Looks natural for them too.

Loved S&S's short a lot, don't have nerve yet to see what happened in the long. Have they said?

oxade21

Match Penalty
Love Story worked for M&T, it was nothing like S&P's in the look, style or skating. I liked it better - S&P's had way too much pantomime for me. S&P also semi-looked like the actors in Love Story, her being brunette, him having curly/sandy hair. M&T don't look like that and it helped. Nice program. Looks natural for them too.

Loved S&S's short a lot, don't have nerve yet to see what happened in the long. Have they said?

ITA, the program is miles better than the one that S/P ruined for me in 2002. Very balletic, very Russian take on American classic hat actually worked.

victoria90

On the Ice

On an icenetwork.com article they said this:

"The spiral, we cannot predict things like that," Szolkowy said. "It never happens, not even in practice. For two-time world champions to do that is not easy.

"We don't know what happened today. Sometimes it's easier [to explain mistakes] if one of the skaters is not feeling so well, but today, we don't know what happened."

oxade21

Match Penalty
S/S were majorly gifted. 101 points for that absolute trainwreck????
I have never seen or heard a team of that high life to fall apart after one unfortunate mistake.

Anyone can give examples???

evangeline

Record Breaker
M/T usually have at least one event they do well in both parts of competition.

Really? Last season, they skated good SPs all season long and imploded/did considerably worse in all their LPs I can remember.

I have to concur with everyone who is pleasantly surprised by M/T's Love Story. I was hoping for a parody/expecting a hot mess of a program, but it really was pretty good and a rather convincing take on the overly saccharine music. I guess the fact that they didn't pretend to throw snowballs at each other gives them a point in their favour.

If only they kept their last year's SP, though! It was absolutely beautiful.

Tigger

Final Flight
Can we please not make this a discussion/bash of S/P? My god that is eight years ago. Let it go people!

Thank you!! Sadly, not going to happen, but thanks for trying!! :)

I felt so horrible for Aliona and Robin today. They're not my favourite Pairs Team, but I wouldn't wish what happened to them today on anyone. It took guts for them to keep going when it would have been oh so easy to not to.

They showed true character today and that's part of what makes athletes Champions.

There's actually only one good thing to say about that free skate of theirs today.

At least it happened in Paris today, instead of Vancouver and February.

gold12345

Medalist
S/S were majorly gifted. 101 points for that absolute trainwreck????

I know! There was no reason to hold up their PCS like that (they had the same PCS as D/D!). It wasn't like they needed that generous overscore to stay in the top 3... They were ahead of 4th by a huge margin! Since huge PCS weren't needed to keep them in the medals, why not give them more accurate PCS that reflected the total meltdown they had? Oh well.

Last edited: