Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Pairs Free Skate

Banned
    S/S were majorly gifted. 101 points for that absolute trainwreck????
    I have never seen or heard a team of that high life to fall apart after one unfortunate mistake.

Anyone can give examples???

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by oxade21 View Post
    M/T usually have at least one event they do well in both parts of competition.
    Really? Last season, they skated good SPs all season long and imploded/did considerably worse in all their LPs I can remember.

I have to concur with everyone who is pleasantly surprised by M/T's Love Story. I was hoping for a parody/expecting a hot mess of a program, but it really was pretty good and a rather convincing take on the overly saccharine music. I guess the fact that they didn't pretend to throw snowballs at each other gives them a point in their favour.

If only they kept their last year's SP, though! It was absolutely beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    I guess the fact that they didn't pretend to throw snowballs at each other gives them a point in their favour.
    Can we please not make this a discussion/bash of S/P? My god that is eight years ago. Let it go people!

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Can we please not make this a discussion/bash of S/P? My god that is eight years ago. Let it go people!
    Thank you!! Sadly, not going to happen, but thanks for trying!!

I felt so horrible for Aliona and Robin today. They're not my favourite Pairs Team, but I wouldn't wish what happened to them today on anyone. It took guts for them to keep going when it would have been oh so easy to not to.

They showed true character today and that's part of what makes athletes Champions.

There's actually only one good thing to say about that free skate of theirs today.

At least it happened in Paris today, instead of Vancouver and February.

Custom Title
    I know! There was no reason to hold up their PCS like that (they had the same PCS as D/D!). It wasn't like they needed that generous overscore to stay in the top 3... They were ahead of 4th by a huge margin! Since huge PCS weren't needed to keep them in the medals, why not give them more accurate PCS that reflected the total meltdown they had? Oh well.
    Last edited by gold12345; 10-18-2009 at 01:07 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Why not? Why can't there be discussion comparing two teams when a team uses a piece of music that is famously associated with another? There was plenty of discussion comparing K/S's snoozer version of Love Story to S/P's (IMO, superior) version.

It's like if a dance team tries to skate to Bolero, or a male singles skater chooses Winter for his music. Comparisons, favourable or unfavourable, are inevitable.

Custom Title
    S/S is a wonderful pair. But that PCS was overly generous scoring, they had so many pauses during the program after the attempted death spiral. 57 pts is ame as that of D/D and just 4 points shy of M/T clean program. this is when S/S had 5 noticeable major errors.
    Last edited by life684; 10-18-2009 at 03:02 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by HCOSurfer View Post
    I've had that feeling for a while now, you can tell he does.

What is this all about? Did she dump him?

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    What is this all about? Did she dump him?
    Jess and Bryce broke up before Worlds 2008 -- she's been dating Scott Moir for a while now. Apparently it caused a few friendship issues between the guys at the time, but I think they're all okay now.

-kypma

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kypma View Post
    Jess and Bryce broke up before Worlds 2008 -- she's been dating Scott Moir for a while now. Apparently it caused a few friendship issues between the guys at the time, but I think they're all okay now.

-kypma
    Thanks, that was a long time ago, he shouuld've gotten over it by now.

Custom Title
    M/T's costumes (and low-risk choreo) were awful! I'm sorry, but it literally distracted from my enjoyment of the program. Their technique and elements were wonderful-- so why ruin it with bland choreography and dress that shows complete ignorance of the story?! IMO every skater needs to go behind the music to truly understand the background/history to truly do justice to interpretation (many coaches require this)-- even if they make it their own. The silk pink grey white getups do NOT go with Love Story (especially her horrid white tights-- made her look like a 7 year old!). Perhaps they should read the story first and then ask D/D for costume recommendations (they had the perfect look and choreography for The Way We Were)...Erich Segal must be cringing right now.
    Last edited by cornell08; 10-18-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    M/T's costumes (and low-risk choreo) were awful! I'm sorry, but it literally distracted from my enjoyment of the program. Their technique and elements were wonderful-- so why ruin it with bland choreography and dress that shows complete ignorance of the story?! IMO every skater needs to go behind the music to truly understand the background/history to truly do justice to interpretation (many coaches require this)-- even if they make it their own. The silk pink grey white getups do NOT go with Love Story (especially her horrid white tights-- made her look like a 7 year old!). Perhaps they should read the story first and then ask D/D for costume recommendations (they had the perfect look and choreography for The Way We Were)...Erich Segal must be cringing right now.
    I so agree! I have no idea what was up with the white tights - she looked like she was in a beginner ballet class! I read in an interview that they picked Love Story because they wanted to appeal to the Canadian audience. I really don't think this number is going to draw in the majority of the Canadian audience. It's one thing to skate along to the music but skating to the music and within the music is a whole other scenerio. D/D blew them away in this department, IMO.

On the note of S/S I cannot believe they received that score for that program, just ridiculous. It doesn't seem like a program that is suitable for the Olympics. I thought the music was awful and the costumes were horrendous. Why do they always dress like trainwrecks??

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    Mukhortova/Trankov's costumes are pretty awful but I think the most awful Love Story costumes were the ones used by Kawaguchi/Smirnov--didn't Smirnov wear a shirt with Yuko's face on it or something?

I agree that the choreography was low-risk, but I don't think it showed complete ignorance of the story. It was some lovey-dovey choreography to some lovey-dovey music--come on, there's not THAT much of a background/history to Love Story. Just because they didn't literally act out the scenes of the movie doesn't mean they were completely ignorant about the music.

Custom Title
    I read that they chose the music because Maria has always wanted to skate to it, not because the Olympics are in Canada (not saying that didn't influence the choice, but that's what I heard).

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I read that they chose the music because Maria has always wanted to skate to it, not because the Olympics are in Canada (not saying that didn't influence the choice, but that's what I heard).
    I read that as well, and also that they had originally wanted to use it last year but didn't because K/S had already announced that they were using it. Or maybe I made that up in my head...lol.

Anyway I think it's a good program for them. I'd like to see more connection between them, but it's early yet. It's already a vast improvement over last season's LP.

S/S...I hope just go back to Schindler's List. I think that was a magical program and it just seems right for an Olympic season. Their current LP...doesn't. IMO.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast