Convincing my mom to let me figure skate!? | Golden Skate

Convincing my mom to let me figure skate!?

Lesparrou

Spectator
I'll make this as short as possible;
Last year, I got the opportunity to try figure skating... I loved it and I would love to continue, and maybe even compete, but there's one issue: everything.
My mom's obsessed with my safety, and apparently figure skating is totally dangerous. Another conflict is money.. I know that figure skating is pricey, and I'm willing to do anything I can to earn up money for it.
When did you start figure skating? Did you have to convince your parents? If so, how???

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I'll make this as short as possible;
Last year, I got the opportunity to try figure skating... I loved it and I would love to continue, and maybe even compete, but there's one issue: everything.
My mom's obsessed with my safety, and apparently figure skating is totally dangerous. Another conflict is money.. I know that figure skating is pricey, and I'm willing to do anything I can to earn up money for it.
When did you start figure skating? Did you have to convince your parents? If so, how???

I first learned to skate out of doors. My dad converted part of our back yard into a small rink in Prince George, BC. Thanks to my parents I was introduced to a life long love of figure skating. My mom bought me my first pair of skates and of course I wanted to learn so she registered me with the Prince George figure skating club and it just kind of went from there.

Figure skating is no dangerous than any other sport out there. It is expensive if you want to compete, but there are group rates if you just want to learn the basics. If you are really serious you can always pay for your lessons yourself, but it will take time and dedication.

I did not have to convince my parents, they could see my love for figure skating when they watched me on the ice. I was always the first kid on the ice and the last off.

I hope you are able to convince your parents about the positive aspects of figure skating and that you will be allowed to skate. Hope this helps and all the best.

jjane45

On the Ice
Um I think figure skating, especially at high level with multi-revolution jumps, is absolutely more dangerous than many sports. Most skaters are/were injured to some degree, depending on age, technique, and luck.
I started as an adult hence did not need parental consent. However I could perfectly understand your mom's worries. What if you promise her to always wear proper protective gears such as helmet, knee pads, and elbow pads etc.? Seriously, put your own safety above everything else :)
GOOD LUCK!

heyang

Record Breaker
You might want to have your mother sit and watch a group class - just to give her a comfort level of what you will be doing in class. It's not as though you're going to be doing jumps the 1st day or being lifted over someone's head.

As for competing, I'd suggest that you wait and see how much you enjoy skating after you've done it for a while. You may find that you don't enjoy it as much as you thought you would - or rather well enough to train at a competitive level.

Also, is your mother worried, in general, about all types of accidents or just related to figure skating?

I took a couple of recreational group trips - no lessons- as a kid. When I was in college, I took 2 terms for gym class, which was just basic stroking and stopping. Some of the students who had more lessons learned some basic single jumps and spins.

Definitely start with group lessons 1st - less expensive and more fun IMO.